PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a PRINTABLE Sample PAL EXAM

voodoo_ca
02-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone,

My dad is planning on challenging the PAL exam and is very stubborn about his abilities to safely handle a gun.

I dont doubt that he can, but I am however worried that he may get caught with some of the more specific silly questions that he wouldnt know.

My only hope is to find a sample exam that I can print out (he does not use computers) and give to him to try. I need to either make sure he knows it all or really humble him so that he takes the course and doesnt fail.

Again I know he is safe with guns, but I think some of the specifics of the course/test might cause problems.

I have found the one online test, but you cant print the questions...

Anyone know of anything I am missing?!

Help!
Thanks
Chad

huntinstuff
02-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Get him a CFSC manual to read. If he has any experience at all with firearms, he won't have a problem with the test.

Or read it to him. Pick thru and find stuff you don't think he knows and read it to him. Don't "test" him. Old timers hate that sh*t. Just read it to him like it's a story. Don't quiz him. It will just get him mad at you.

He will pass. He wants his PAL.

Your "dilemma" sounds familiar............lol

Trust me on this one.

Strangeday
02-08-2008, 05:12 PM
as the noob troll seeks information on how to get guns easier than following the rules, looking for an easy PAL?

Thanks for joining today and making a brilliant first post.

Study and learn...if dad fails...dad shouldn't have access to a firearm

Nester
02-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Get your "dad" to actually learn something and pass the test with confidence. Do you not want your "dad" to be safe behind a firearm?

Knowledge is power. Cheaters are bad.

coltfan
02-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I saw a few "old timers" and "know it alls" fail the PAL test....simple things like checking the head stamp of the ammo against the info on the firearm etc....

huntinstuff
02-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I saw a few "old timers" and "know it alls" fail the PAL test....simple things like checking the head stamp of the ammo against the info on the firearm etc....

U bet. Those are the exact things the noob should be focusing on with his dad......My advice to this fella was to get the manual and read it to his dad, or get dad to read it. Chances are he will not know some things on the test and the manual covers it. Might even learn something.

Some old timers are pretty good, but I know a few that are unsafe. Age doesn't mean a lot when stupidity is involved:D

I've had one person fail the test with me since 1995. And he was a guide.

Woodsman
02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
It isn't cheating to try tests in advance. This is done all the time at college and university level. There are many different versions of the test and all he'll end up doing is learning the material anyways.

No worries though. It's a pretty straight forward test.

heavenIsAlie
02-08-2008, 06:22 PM
It isn't cheating to try tests in advance. This is done all the time at college and university level. There are many different versions of the test and all he'll end up doing is learning the material anyways.

No worries though. It's a pretty straight forward test.

there is only 4 tests isnt there?not like univ where its a new test every year twice a year

chezboy
02-08-2008, 06:23 PM
i wouldn't worry about the PAL test that much. It is multiple choice and i thought very easy. i studied way to much. I could of done it with only reading the book twice instead of obsessing with the text and reading it 5 times. the test has questions like

1. #6 and .410 are types of shot? true or false

2. the person in the picture is demontrating what type of carry

a. arm B. sling C. two-hand carry D. None of the above

3. it is legal to store a firearm in your vehicle if..
A. you are parked under a tree in the shade
B. you are in the middle of no where
C. the gun is unloaded, locked and out of sight in a locked vehicle
D. as long as ammunition for the gun is not stored in the same vehicle

4. What shooting position is the steadiest?
A. prone
b. standing
c. sitting
d. sniping

5. the three main parts to a gun are
a. stock, barrel , action
b. firearm, magazine, ammunition
c. .......
d .......

The practical part is not hard but way easier to fail. you instantly fail if you point the gun at a person during any part of the practical. you also loose marks if he sees your fingers in the trigger gaurd at any moment or pointing the gun at anything but what he considers to be down range. He asked me to cross an imaginary fence using the proper techniques. He gave me a gun and a bucket of ammo and said find the correct ammuition for this rifle. from the bucket show me a slug. From the bucket labelled dummy's find 2 , 2 3/4" rounds in 12 gauge and load then into the firearm. load one of the shells to fire. now unload the gun.

During all this you have to use ACTS and PROVE every gun safe everytime you pick up a gun. even if you prove it safe then put it down and pick it up a minute later.

watch out for the instructor leaving a dummy round in a rifle when he gives it to you. he expects you to find it when you PROVE it safe.

it helped me to talk outload as i was doing each step. also that way the instructor knows the steps you are taking.

i found the practical to be harder than the written more so because i was nervous about forgeting a step like verify the feed path or examine the bore every time.

There are no trick questions on the exam either. good luck

Strangeday
02-08-2008, 06:30 PM
i wouldn't worry about the PAL test that much. It is multiple choice and i thought very easy. i studied way to much. I could of done it with only reading the book twice instead of obsessing with the text and reading it 5 times. the test has questions like

1. #6 and .410 are types of shot? true or false

2. the person in the picture is demontrating what type of carry

a. arm B. sling C. two-hand carry D. None of the above

3. it is legal to store a firearm in your vehicle if..
A. you are parked under a tree in the shade
B. you are in the middle of no where
C. the gun is unloaded, locked and out of sight in a locked vehicle
D. as long as ammunition for the gun is not stored in the same vehicle

4. What shooting position is the steadiest?
A. prone
b. standing
c. sitting
d. sniping

5. the three main parts to a gun are
a. stock, barrel , action
b. firearm, magazine, ammunition
c. .......
d .......

The practical part is not hard but way easier to fail. you instantly fail if you point the gun at a person during any part of the practical. you also loose marks if he sees your fingers in the trigger gaurd at any moment or pointing the gun at anything but what he considers to be down range. He asked me to cross an imaginary fence using the proper techniques. He gave me a gun and a bucket of ammo and said find the correct ammuition for this rifle. from the bucket show me a slug. From the bucket labelled dummy's find 2 , 2 3/4" rounds in 12 gauge and load then into the firearm. load one of the shells to fire. now unload the gun.

During all this you have to use ACTS and PROVE every gun safe everytime you pick up a gun. even if you prove it safe then put it down and pick it up a minute later.

watch out for the instructor leaving a dummy round in a rifle when he gives it to you. he expects you to find it when you PROVE it safe.

it helped me to talk outload as i was doing each step. also that way the instructor knows the steps you are taking.

i found the practical to be harder than the written more so because i was nervous about forgeting a step like verify the feed path or examine the bore every time.

There are no trick questions on the exam either. good luck

why don't start a thread thats titled "It's easy to get a gun in Canada"?
:slap:

chezboy
02-08-2008, 06:40 PM
i don't think the tests to apply for the PAL is hard but passing the test doesn't garantee you will get the PAL. You have to pass background checks. also you current wife/ common law wife, and any other common law or wifes you've had in the last 2 years have to sign off that its ok with them if you get a PAL liscnence. you also will have trouble if you are being treated for depression, have ever had a peace bond, ever commited a crime. I believe the screening policy is what ensures that people who shouldn't have guns can't get then (legally) and they do check. they called all my references and checked up on everything before giving me my PAL

jethunter
02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
There are some questions on ther exam that general firearms "experience" will not help you answer. For instance: questions about the legislation, legal transport, and storage. The only way I know of to answer these questions correctly is to take the course or study the handbook on your own. These are not "common sense" questions and a lifetime of experience will not help you a great deal with the answers.

dudu
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Anyone know of anything I am missing?!

Help!
Thanks
Chad

Honesty?

If your "dad" is older than 18 you should let him "suffer" the consequences of his decisions. You know, just like an adult.
Anyway, your story stinks and has BS written all over it.

manbearpig
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
i know several people who were hunting since before i was born fail their PAL exam.
they generally lose points on such things as placing the gun under the fence pointing away from where they cross, and not PROVEing the gun safe when they pick it up again 10 seconds later.

i can see why they drill this stuff into your head but this is where all the older hunters get nailed. i mean think about it: youre in the middle of a field, about to cross a fence. you unload your gun, PROVE it safe. you put the gun over/under the fence pointing away from where youll cross. you hop over the fence. you pick up your gun.
now you have to check it AGAIN.
wtf, frikken gnomes came in the 10 seconds it took you to cross the fence and loaded your gun when you werent looking? this gets every older hunter, every time.

of course you wont fail just for that... but there are a bunch of other similar things that, when added up, can fail you. sweep anyone once with the muzzle and thats it, you fail - and rightly so.

really its not a bad idea just to take the course. its not expensive, takes up half your weekend, and you can meet some other prospective hunters in your area and strike up some friendships. the ACTS/PROVE that they brainwash you with for 2 days straight sticks in your head pretty well, and it might save your life one day.

dudu
02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
now you have to check it AGAIN.
wtf, frikken gnomes came in the 10 seconds it took you to cross the fence and loaded your gun when you werent looking? this gets every older hunter, every time....

The reason you have to check is not because of the gnomes but because of obstructions ( twigs, snow, etc ).

I also heard of people that shot and killed a hunter riding his quad (apparently they look like moose) or shot their grandkids. Remember that the course itself is meant to increase your safety, and not to piss you off.

cobra_on_speed
02-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Like a lot of people have already said, the written test isn't that hard if you've studied the material a bit. But ya, there are specific things that you wouldn't know if you didn't go over the material. I challenged my PAL this past summer(was my only option), and my examiner wanted me to say out load ACTS & PROVE every time I handled a rifle. He mentioned that the only people he had ever seen fail were the "old timers" so to speak who didn't take the time study.

voodoo_ca
02-08-2008, 09:01 PM
as the noob troll seeks information on how to get guns easier than following the rules, looking for an easy PAL?

Thanks for joining today and making a brilliant first post.

Study and learn...if dad fails...dad shouldn't have access to a firearm

I dont know why you would even reply to my post...

CK

voodoo_ca
02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I am actually quite amazed at the lack of respect that people have on this board...

First off, I am not trying to CHEAT on anything. I dont want to give my dad all the answers so he can beat the test... thats not the point.

I completely agree that he should learn all the material... I am simply trying to get a point across to him... he is from the mindset of the old school gun safety and the new material is simply different. I am trying to show him that some of the questions might be things that he is not used to, and he should at the very least read the book, and my suggestion is that he takes the course.

Even more difficult for me is to get him to understand what the practical part is going to be like...

I was simply hoping that I could find something to print out to give him an idea of what the test was going to be like...

Thanks for those who have tried to help...

CK

pitdogboy
02-08-2008, 09:23 PM
:popCorn:

adrock
02-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Don't you have your pal? seems like you want to go through all the trouble to get him a freeby. all you have to do is take him out and run him through the stuff you did in your exam. to me it seems a little fishy.

oh ya......:popCorn:

voodoo_ca
02-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I have my PAL... but he already thinks that I am trying to tell him about gun safety and basically that I am trying to be better than he is... When all I am trying to do is help him understand and pass.

In the end, I guess the answer is that no one has any sample tests that I can use to prove my point...

CK

joe-nwt
02-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Holy ####. How many posts do we endure every week from licenced firearms owners asking basic questions about things like storing ammo, trigger locks, to name a few? And then someone comes along and asks for some help and you jump all over him?

Answer this; Does it matter where the person learns the material from? If he memorizes the test or the manual what difference does it make? He still learns the material. Or should I say meorizes it. There are plenty of examples on this board of people who obviously memorized the right answer, they got their PAL, but really have no clue what it means. And that is the problem with multiple choice. But in the end perhaps that person will be a little safer whether they got 81% or 100%.

Getting a firearms licence in Canada is NOT hard. Nor should it be. A firearm is a tool and deserves the same respect as any other tool. No more, no less. It does no good whatsoever to glorify it into something else.

taffman
02-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I have my PAL... but he already thinks that I am trying to tell him about gun safety and basically that I am trying to be better than he is... When all I am trying to do is help him understand and pass.

In the end, I guess the answer is that no one has any sample tests that I can use to prove my point...

CK
No free rides, good luck with getting your dad through the course, you have a PAL so hopefully you can remember some of the questions to help him out.

Savage12
02-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Holy f**k. How many posts do we endure every week from licenced firearms owners asking basic questions about things like storing ammo, trigger locks, to name a few? And then someone comes along and asks for some help and you jump all over him?

Answer this; Does it matter where the person learns the material from? If he memorizes the test or the manual what difference does it make? He still learns the material. Or should I say meorizes it. There are plenty of examples on this board of people who obviously memorized the right answer, they got their PAL, but really have no clue what it means. And that is the problem with multiple choice. But in the end perhaps that person will be a little safer whether they got 81% or 100%.

Getting a firearms licence in Canada is NOT hard. Nor should it be. A firearm is a tool and deserves the same respect as any other tool. No more, no less. It does no good whatsoever to glorify it into something else.

Agreed, thank you for putting my thoughs into words. Seems once someone begins to jump on another a many others jump on the train and follow. We don't want to shy away newcomers we want to welcome them as warmly as possible.

Use common sence during the exam and finger off the trigger and safety on always unless directed otherwise during the practical is all he should know. I don't know of any source online currently providing the test itself, it may be best if your dad fails the first one to realise that study and admittance to the fact that no one can know everything will be good for him.

Good luck.

TDC
02-09-2008, 12:01 AM
why don't start a thread thats titled "It's easy to get a gun in Canada"?
:slap:

What are you talking about, that's the trend with the current PAL/RPAL courses. The entire system is a joke.

I do however agree. With a system as easy as it is there is no reason why your father should require a sneak peak at the exam. Get him the PAL course books and tell him to read them. If he can answer the chapter review questions, he'll do fine. If he thinks he knows it already let him fail.

Stupid should hurt...

TDC

heavenIsAlie
02-09-2008, 12:32 AM

CK

sometimes you just cant help stubborn people sadly, maybe failing will put a little humility in him.

or perhaps have him read the books, since its coming from a book and not you it may seem less like you are saying you are better than him

voodoo_ca
02-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Use common sence during the exam and finger off the trigger and safety on always unless directed otherwise during the practical is all he should know. I don't know of any source online currently providing the test itself, it may be best if your dad fails the first one to realise that study and admittance to the fact that no one can know everything will be good for him.

Good luck.

I found this one Savage http://www.gunexams.com/CFSC-CRFSC-PAL-Practice-Exams that is online and simply runs over different questions that help to teach the concepts and not just give the answers... the questions are ovbiously not the same as the test... I was just looking for something similar that I could print off and show him to give a better idea of what things were going to be like.

Again, I would rather he takes the COURSE and at the very least simply reads the book...

Thanks again everyone...

CK

Wildbore
02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Wow, if that were my dad i would tell him to stop f*cking around and read the book.

voodoo_ca
02-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Wow, if that were my dad i would tell him to stop f*cking around and read the book.

Yeah, well thats the ideal situation for sure... but in my case (and I dont expect you to understand) its much easier said than done. In fact, I have already told him to read the book... and I told him to take the course...

CK

chezboy
02-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I would go to http://www.gunexams.com/CFSC-CRFSC-PAL-Practice-Exams and either have him take the free 10 question sample exam. or if you can't drag him to the computer just print the 10 questions and tell him he has to get atleast an 80% ( i think) to pass PAL test. if he hasn't read the book i think he will get more than 2 of them wrong, then tell him he just failed and waisted his money by challenging the test. Maybe he won't like the idea of wasting his own money on something if he is destined to fail.

t-star
02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
taking the pal/rpal test is like taking castor oil internally- for those of us that remember- just hold your nose and do it- a lot of the questions were worded tricky, and a lot of the rpal stuff was exactly the same as the pal stuff, but worded differently to reflect the restricted stuff- and a lot of times they just put the word restricted in front of the word firearm- and since there's 4 different tests, there's no way you can anticipate which one you'll get- so a good study and then write is the only way to go- and for GOD 'S SAKE , TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ THE QUESTION- mine was all about the very much the same questions BUT WORDED DIFFERENTLY- specifically designed to lull you into putting down the same answer 10 questions before, but the second time out it's worded slightly differrently and the second time out the same answer is WRONG

Northman999
02-12-2008, 12:58 PM
The test is not difficult - I attended a locally run course (a few evenings) and generally paid attention in class, but did no homework or studying on my own time and I got 100%. It's not an answer to your question, but it should help your confidence; these kinds of courses are designed to be successfully passed by the relatively undeducated and relatively dissinterested masses.

dHb
05-26-2008, 12:51 AM
I've been a CFSC/CRFSC instructor since 2000 and conducted a few hundred test challenges. I find that 'experienced' hunters who haven't done their homework can easily fail. Some of the common errors are assuming you know what ammo goes in which gun without examining data stamps, pointing guns outside of designated safe directions and putting one of their 10 fingers accidentally in the trigger guard when they have no idea they're doing it.

Reading the book may be boring but it certainly does help prepare you for the test. I'd like to think that GunExams.com is a helpful alternative to slogging through the manuals (of course I have a vested interest) and am pleased that lots of customers have sent thank you notes over the past three years for how GunExams helped them. :)

LOL, after initially writing this post I looked back through the last 3 years of customer feedback and decided to add a testimonials page (http://www.gunexams.com/serve_content.cfm?Page=Testimonials)

olegs69
06-01-2008, 11:00 PM
There's a question about bullpups. Something about their legality.