PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MVP

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

seamusm
09-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Are you guys bringing these guns in? If so, when? Product # on their websites are 27700 and 27710.
Thanks

North_Sylva
09-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Yes. These will be available probably sometime early next year.

Thanks,

GaryM12
03-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Do you know if they will be available in left handed models?

ioncore
03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
What's the price you'll be putting on these models?

na1lb0hm
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM

North sylvia won't be pricing these, they are not the retailer.

rivetc78
03-27-2012, 04:38 AM

You want them to guess the price of an item available 12 months from now?? Seriously?

sgt.rock
03-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Well, mossberg must have a listed company Price / MSRP as they are already selling them in the USA. Not too hard to imagine a ballpark figure. It's not like anyone in Canada has any experience coming up with a CANADIAN price, for when an item, available in the USA for a while, suddenly becomes available up here. Other than Cooey/CIL/Lakefield etc, all retailers have "come up with" a price for Canada sales of U.S. stuff.
I think he's just asking for what the dealer estimates he'll be offering them for, based on his experience of all his other products. They are all currently for sale down south too, and he has a canadian price on those. Just use his standard markup , plus average costs to him for importing them. I'd sure like to get an idea of how much they are going for. ( Help's me narrow down what is gonna get sold that will equal the price of one!!!!)

2bad4u2
03-27-2012, 11:13 AM
You want them to guess the price of an item available 12 months from now?? Seriously?

North Sylva's post was in late September of 2011. Early next year would be far less than (12) months time, don't you think?

rivetc78
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
North Sylva's post was in late September of 2011. Early next year would be far less than (12) months time, don't you think?

Hmmm. Pie in my face I guess. :redface:

I didn't see that.

O.k move along. Nothing to see here :D

LeMerle
03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Wow this MVP is really nice, cant wait to see when its gonna be here, anyone have an estimate ?

North_Sylva
03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
We are still waiting on a firm delivery date. We will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

HobbesT
03-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Good looking gun. What is the max magazine size for these? It a bolt-action, so it's kind of like a pump shotty where you could hypothetically fit a lot more than ten rounds (I'm thinking mini shells in a gun with a big tube). But the fact that it uses AR mags leads me to believe they will have to be pinned to ten.

Johnny_Zanni
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
All mags will have to be pinned at 5. The only exception being the LAR15 mags which are 10.

HobbesT
03-30-2012, 07:36 PM
All mags will have to be pinned at 5. The only exception being the LAR15 mags which are 10.

I figured as much. But for the sake of argument, could a person unpin these mags? Is this a grey area? Or is it cut and dry, mag limit is 5/10?

Fyn
03-30-2012, 09:30 PM
I figured as much. But for the sake of argument, could a person unpin these mags? Is this a grey area? Or is it cut and dry, mag limit is 5/10?

Not unless you want to go to jail. They are still designed for the AR, even if you are using it in a bolt action.

Frontrunner
03-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Go to jail? it's good to see em cracking down than because I witnessed two guys get busted up Sylvester last year with unpinned mags and all that happend was their two mags being taken away...

I am in no way trying to justify doing this as I follow every law, but to say jail time will result from it is a bit much

HobbesT
03-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Not unless you want to go to jail. They are still designed for the AR, even if you are using it in a bolt action.

That sucks. But do you see what I mean when I wonder if this is a grey area?

I'm just thinking of a reverse scenario. Imagine a bolt gun that took proprietary magazines that held 20. This would be perfectly legal just like a pump shotgun can hold more than 5. But then imagine that a semi entered the market that could accept those mags. Would all mags thereafter have to be pinned? I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I'm just wondering. Thanks.

Johnny_Zanni
03-31-2012, 12:16 AM

I'm just thinking of a reverse scenario. Imagine a bolt gun that took proprietary magazines that held 20. This would be perfectly legal just like a pump shotgun can hold more than 5. But then imagine that a semi entered the market that could accept those mags. Would all mags thereafter have to be pinned? I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I'm just wondering. Thanks.

I think that scenario they wouldn't have to be. But the problem is Mossberg openly says the MVP uses AR-15 magazines. If they would not have said that then the mag limit for "Mossberg MVP Magazines" would be unlimited.

HobbesT
03-31-2012, 12:30 AM
I think that scenario they wouldn't have to be. But the problem is Mossberg openly says the MVP uses AR-15 magazines. If they would not have said that then the mag limit for "Mossberg MVP Magazines" would be unlimited.

I see. So it's just like the BX25 mag debacle then. That sucks.

AikiNut
03-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Don't want to take business away from anyone, but there are a lot of Mossberg dealers in Canada...

http://www.mossberg.com/dealers/intl.asp?region=North%20America&section=resources

AikiNut
03-31-2012, 01:05 AM
Go to jail? it's good to see em cracking down than because I witnessed two guys get busted up Sylvester last year with unpinned mags and all that happend was their two mags being taken away...

I am in no way trying to justify doing this as I follow every law, but to say jail time will result from it is a bit much

So they got lucky and lost their mags without losing their freedom - the law (and I haven't actually checked) has penalties for possession of magazines that are prohib capacity - the LEO in question probably didn't want to file charges and put away people for such a stupid law, but another LEO with a different attitude about guns/gun owners might have done the whole nine yards...
W

Major Sights
03-31-2012, 09:41 AM

All SEMI AUTO mags need to be pinned to 5 rounds. Bolt action guns that do not share mags with semi autos may have 10 rounds, hell they can have 30 rounds.

A few Examples:
ALL lee Enfields
Remington 700 ACIS mags
Savage 10 FCP-SR 308 Win

But seeing as how this one DOES use a mag in common with a semi, then yes, you are limited to the 5 round rifle mags or the 10 round Pistol mags.

HobbesT
03-31-2012, 01:46 PM
All SEMI AUTO mags need to be pinned to 5 rounds. Bolt action guns that do not share mags with semi autos may have 10 rounds, hell they can have 30 rounds.

A few Examples:
ALL lee Enfields
Remington 700 ACIS mags
Savage 10 FCP-SR 308 Win

But seeing as how this one DOES use a mag in common with a semi, then yes, you are limited to the 5 round rifle mags or the 10 round Pistol mags.

A lot of Canadian firearms law is arbitrary, no doubt, but this is both arbitrary and really illogical. Regarding the fact that mag capacity is limited due to it being a shared mag, is this on the books? Or a grey area?

nullshine
03-31-2012, 07:26 PM
A lot of Canadian firearms law is arbitrary, no doubt, but this is both arbitrary and really illogical. Regarding the fact that mag capacity is limited due to it being a shared mag, is this on the books? Or a grey area?

Not a grey area, although to some poorly trained and uniformed officers it probably is a grey area to them.

Look up RCMP special bulletin for businesses #72, and go on Questar's website for the LAR-15 Pistol Mag letter.

If you use magazines that happen to exceed the typical capacity of that firearm's magazine (5 for semi auto centrefire rifles, 10 for pistols, unlimited for rimfire rifles, and manually repeating rifles) it would be a really good idea to have some of this documentation on yourself if you need to educate enforcement personnel in the field.

Note I said "typical capacity" of that firearm's magazine. This refers to the capacity of the magazine that is designed and manufactured for that firearm. Designed and manufactured are the key words here. It doesn't matter what firearm it goes into, it matters what it's designed, manufactured and sold for.

Ruger screwed up (understandable) with the BX-25 by saying it was also for the Charger pistol. Instantly makes it a shared rifle/pistol mag, and therefore pinned to the lowest common denominator (pistol, 10 rounds). May as well use a regular 10 round rotary one.

LAR-15 pistol magazines are designed and manufactured for an LAR-15 Pistol, and nothing else, therefore they are 10 rounds max. Slap it in an AR-15 rifle. No problem. Totally legal. Doesn't matter what it HAPPENS to fit and function in.

The problem here is Mossberg identified their rifle as taking AR-15 mags. This immediately means there pretty much is no magazine that's designed specifically for the MVP. So use AR-15 (Semi auto centrefire rifle, pinned to 5), or LAR-15 Pistol (pistol, max 10 rounds) magazines in it. The magazine that comes with it is probably an AR-15 rifle mag, so I'm assuming it's pinned, and should stay that way to be legal.

Remember, firearms don't have a magazine capacity, magazines do. A magazines capacity is limited based on which firearm they're designed, manufactured and marketed for. This is why Butler Creek 25 round 10/22 magazines are legal. Butler Creek never said they were designed for the Charger. They aren't, they're designed for (as per the packaging):

Ruger 10/22
Ruger 77/22
& AMT Lightning

All models the Butler Creek 10/22 25 round magazine is designed for are rimfire rifles, and therefore magazine capacity is unlimited. Because Butler Creek says so!

EDIT:

And as far as arbitrary and illogical... so what? What part of C-68 or any other firearm law in this country, and many others, is logical and actually addresses crime?

HobbesT
03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Not a grey area, although to some poorly trained and uniformed officers it probably is a grey area to them.

Look up RCMP special bulletin for businesses #72, and go on Questar's website for the LAR-15 Pistol Mag letter.

If you use magazines that happen to exceed the typical capacity of that firearm's magazine (5 for semi auto centrefire rifles, 10 for pistols, unlimited for rimfire rifles, and manually repeating rifles) it would be a really good idea to have some of this documentation on yourself if you need to educate enforcement personnel in the field.

Note I said "typical capacity" of that firearm's magazine. This refers to the capacity of the magazine that is designed and manufactured for that firearm. Designed and manufactured are the key words here. It doesn't matter what firearm it goes into, it matters what it's designed, manufactured and sold for.

Ruger screwed up (understandable) with the BX-25 by saying it was also for the Charger pistol. Instantly makes it a shared rifle/pistol mag, and therefore pinned to the lowest common denominator (pistol, 10 rounds). May as well use a regular 10 round rotary one.

LAR-15 pistol magazines are designed and manufactured for an LAR-15 Pistol, and nothing else, therefore they are 10 rounds max. Slap it in an AR-15 rifle. No problem. Totally legal. Doesn't matter what it HAPPENS to fit and function in.

The problem here is Mossberg identified their rifle as taking AR-15 mags. This immediately means there pretty much is no magazine that's designed specifically for the MVP. So use AR-15 (Semi auto centrefire rifle, pinned to 5), or LAR-15 Pistol (pistol, max 10 rounds) magazines in it. The magazine that comes with it is probably an AR-15 rifle mag, so I'm assuming it's pinned, and should stay that way to be legal.

Remember, firearms don't have a magazine capacity, magazines do. A magazines capacity is limited based on which firearm they're designed, manufactured and marketed for. This is why Butler Creek 25 round 10/22 magazines are legal. Butler Creek never said they were designed for the Charger. They aren't, they're designed for (as per the packaging):

Ruger 10/22
Ruger 77/22
& AMT Lightning

All models the Butler Creek 10/22 25 round magazine is designed for are rimfire rifles, and therefore magazine capacity is unlimited. Because Butler Creek says so!

EDIT:

And as far as arbitrary and illogical... so what? What part of C-68 or any other firearm law in this country, and many others, is logical and actually addresses crime?

Good, informative post. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

As for your edit, there's no sense getting into that discussion.

Fyn
03-31-2012, 09:56 PM

I understand where your coming from, but this rifle isn't going to change anything magazine wise. I don't like it, but it's how it is (for now anyway). As mentioned, there are other cases of complicated rulings/grey areas. The MVP isn't the first manually operated repeating rifle in the country that takes AR magazines either, like the Remington 7615p.

HobbesT
04-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I understand where your coming from, but this rifle isn't going to change anything magazine wise. I don't like it, but it's how it is (for now anyway). As mentioned, there are other cases of complicated rulings/grey areas. The MVP isn't the first manually operated repeating rifle in the country that takes AR magazines either, like the Remington 7615p.

Thanks for your reply, Fyn. It took me a few posts to articulate what I was getting at but you guys have nailed it.

Papaclaude
04-01-2012, 08:36 PM
They're selling for $499 U.S., so they'll probably sell for somewhere around that here too, I guess. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one as soon as they are in Canada:D

stefman722
04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
When will this rifle be available any updates?

Mr. Spectacular
04-12-2012, 09:41 PM

This!

Mr. Spectacular
04-29-2012, 03:33 AM

Bump

blueflash
04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
As far as the high capacity magazines and the MVP....What we need is a Canadian company to purpose build Mossberg MVP 20-30 round magazines, and get them stamped on the side "designed to be operated in a Mossberg MVP Bolt Action Rifle"....and not "AR compatible"

I wonder if a 20-30 round AR magazine could have any stampings that indicate it is designed for a AR removed, and re-stamp or engrave "designed for Mossberg MVP bolt action" on the side of it, if that would clearly indicate to any LEO who happened to check a hunter or shooter using the 20-30 round magazine in there Mossberg MVP bolt action rifle.....its really a stupid restriction since it is'nt being used in a semi-auto centerfire, but instead is being used in a bolt action rifle, so there should be a way that we can get around this silly rule, when it should'nt apply to a bolt action centerfire, even if it could be used in a semi-auto, but clearly is'nt if its in a bolt action. Having 2 identical magazines, and one being illegal, and the other being legal, just because the stampings on the side, is such BS, and any person with the authority to make such rules and laws, without knowing how silly it is, should'nt be in charge of such decisions.

AikiNut
04-29-2012, 08:33 PM
IIRC the Garand and theSMLE have been excused from the 5 round requirement in Canada, but that all centrefire rifles are restricted to max 5 round magazine. (perhaps except for the tube mag rifles that shoot pistol rounds). It wouldn't matter if the magazine was "stamped" anything - if it holds more than 5, it's a no-go, regardless of the action.
I could be worng..

Outbound
04-30-2012, 12:18 AM
IIRC the Garand and theSMLE have been excused from the 5 round requirement in Canada, but that all centrefire rifles are restricted to max 5 round magazine. (perhaps except for the tube mag rifles that shoot pistol rounds). It wouldn't matter if the magazine was "stamped" anything - if it holds more than 5, it's a no-go, regardless of the action.
I could be worng..

you are. Only semi-auto center fire rifles have a 5 round mag limit. Pump, lever and bolt actions have no limit.

Mr. Spectacular
05-01-2012, 08:21 PM

ctwo
05-02-2012, 02:12 AM
My email from Mossberg says late 2012 or early 2013.... so I would guess about one year from now.

Mr. Spectacular
05-02-2012, 02:31 AM
My email from Mossberg says late 2012 or early 2013.... so I would guess about one year from now.

What the hell?

I thought these guns were supposed to come out early THIS YEAR, not next year. :mad:

cadgo
05-02-2012, 03:23 AM

What the ####? It is GOOD to see people prosecuted for stupid bull#### paper crimes??

Mr. Spectacular
05-06-2012, 12:12 PM
What the f**k? It is GOOD to see people prosecuted for stupid bulls**t paper crimes??

No kidding.

"ONOEZ! Un-pinned 30 round mags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

f:P:

Mr. Spectacular
05-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I don't get it.

The importer says that these will be available "early this year", and now Mossberg is saying that they won't come out until 2013?

How the hell are they a full YEAR behind?

Mr. Spectacular
06-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't get it.

The importer says that these will be available "early this year", and now Mossberg is saying that they won't come out until 2013?

How the hell are they a full YEAR behind?

Bump for this answer, maybe? :confused:

sgt.rock
06-10-2012, 07:17 PM
maybe sales of the AR15 they put out took off, and they are trying to keep up with demand?

djmay71
06-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Surprised this thread doesn't have a picture yet!
http://cdn.ammoland.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Mossberg-MVP-Series-Predator-Rifle-18inch.jpg

Lets hope that the MVP doesn't get the bad rap the Night Train has, and it might end up being a not-too-bad rifle.

Johnny_Zanni
06-11-2012, 07:44 AM
http://youtu.be/M2FyXMFb36A
:)

Mr. Spectacular
06-11-2012, 11:51 PM
http://youtu.be/M2FyXMFb36A
:)

Cool review

Mr. Spectacular
06-11-2012, 11:52 PM
So I'm still not understanding why these guns are currently for sale in the US (and have been for months now), but we won't see them here in Canada until next year?

Somebody want to help me out with this one?

djmay71
06-12-2012, 01:25 AM
So I'm still not understanding why these guns are currently for sale in the US (and have been for months now), but we won't see them here in Canada until next year?

Somebody want to help me out with this one?

The RCMP and a cluster of law that is called the Canadian Firearms Law.

Red_Liner740
06-18-2012, 11:34 PM
just searched for this gun on CGN after watching American Guns season 2 episode 5....some numbnuts paid $8K for an engraved and worked over MVP and a S&W Governor....both guns retail in the $600 range. Laugh2

Anyways i liked the MVP and wanted to know if and when its available. bummer its not until late this year/next year.

Johnny_Zanni
06-18-2012, 11:53 PM
just searched for this gun on CGN after watching American Guns season 2 episode 5....some numbnuts paid $8K for an engraved and worked over MVP and a S&W Governor....both guns retail in the $600 range. Laugh2

Anyways i liked the MVP and wanted to know if and when its available. bummer its not until late this year/next year.

They ruined it with the scout mounting...

Red_Liner740
06-19-2012, 12:22 AM
lol, how about the fact that he paid 8K and hes LEFT HANDED! with a right handed bolt action gun...

if you were to fork over that large coinage wouldnt you want it to at least be left handed?