Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tanfoglio Appeal .22 LR 18"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BabySeal's Avatar
    I do not think this gun is ugly. When you hold it, it just feels perfect!

That said, The phony plastic muzzle brake had to go. I threaded my barrel and put a birdcage on it. I think that looks a lot better

I really hope tanfoglio plans to produce mags of higher capacity than 10 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by BabySeal View Post
    I do not think this gun is ugly. When you hold it, it just feels perfect!

That said, The phony plastic muzzle brake had to go. I threaded my barrel and put a birdcage on it. I think that looks a lot better

IMO your changes made the rifle look 100% better.
    Much more like a fighting gun than a laser toy.
    This combine with higher cap mags would sell me on this rifle.
    What oal is it with the a2 flash supp babyseal?
    Also what do these rifles weigh?
    Last edited by winnipegger; 01-03-2014 at 03:19 AM.
    OP'd by jbrow397:
    We held court on the Internet and as usual, all parties are held in contempt.

^ yes! babyseal the new birdcage made this look way better. I do hope they make higher cap magsand also for .22wmr

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Oh God I wish these came in .17hmr like they said originally.... but the 22WMR would be cool too.

OAL is about 27.5" as pictured. I have one butt spacer installed. With the last spacer removed (1/4") and the flash hider removed, it would be about 26".

The weight of this gun is difficult to determine. My digital bathroom scale says it weighs 4.8 lbs. But it feels less than that because the rifle's centre of gravity is at the pistol grip. Its effortless to hold on target.

Have you ever held at the ready, possibly staking out a gopher hole, trying to hold steady until your target pops up? You know how the weight of the gun seems to grow and your sight picture gets a little shakier as time goes on...

Not with this puppy. Everything forward of the pistol grip is so light that all the weight of the gun seems to transfer into your shoulder.

I should also add that the trigger is quite nice. It has a little take-up and then its a crisp 4lb pull. It feels a lot like a Kel-Tec trigger, but lighter.

The controls are well laid out too. I am right handed. With the bolt handle moved over to the left side I have a very comfortable time using my left hand to work all the controls except the trigger and safety. Mag changes are straightforward too. Pressing the catch with your left thumb drops the mag into the palm of your hand. Popping a new mag in is unhindered by the magwell's location, even when prone.

The only limitation of this firearm's bullpup layout that I have found is experienced when you try shooting it off your weak side. Whether you shoulder bump or change hands, if you try shooting this rifle from your weak side shoulder, you are probably going to wear some hot brass. The ejection port is about 6" from the butt of the rifle on whichever side you set it up for. That said, ejection is very consistent with this rifle. It piles brass up at a 2 o'clock position about 5 - 6 feet away. If you kept your shoulders square to your target and your face back, you might get away with it. I don't feel inclined to try.

Of course, I don't imagine anyone will ever have to shoot in that sort of situation with this rifle, but I guess you could.

Jeff Quinn of Gunblast once said that "the .22 WMR has plenty of potential for 'social work'".

The composite 10 round mags are very thick walled and have a thick basepad. They appear to be overbuilt. This leaves the magwell a cavernous space begging for high cap mags. (The magwell is 3/4" wide and roughly 4.25" long). A double stack mag is definitely possible. A Kel Tec PMR-30 mag would almost fit in here. If they make up some flush fitting 20-30 round mags, I will definitely snag a few.

Looks interesting. Accuracy?

Baby seal, as I could not find one on the net would you be so kind as to do a breakdown ( field strip) photo series?
    OP'd by jbrow397:

Next week I'll shoot it some more and get some photos. Maybe a video.

Then when I get home. I'll give it a good cleaning and get some proper photos for you of it all torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by BabySeal View Post
    Next week I'll shoot it some more and get some photos. Maybe a video.

Then when I get home. I'll give it a good cleaning and get some proper photos for you of it all torn down.
    You're the king
    OP'd by jbrow397:

Quote Originally Posted by winnipegger View Post
    Baby seal, as I could not find one on the net would you be so kind as to do a breakdown ( field strip) photo series?
    If you search the Rimfire forum I did pics of the breakdown in December. It's quite easy to breakdown. Just search Appeal and it should come up, just change settings to search the past 2 months

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast