Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meet the M&P from Smith & Wesson

Hey all, new to the handgun scene (been hunting and shooting longarms for years but just upped my license to restricted). Been watching this gun a fair bit trying to decide between the 9, .40 and .45.

I know there's lot of debate going on and was originally contemplating between the p99 and m&p but heard the p99 has a threaded barrel in canada, is that true? Yick.

Quote Originally Posted by MBaker View Post
    Awesome to hear someone else has tried it out. Just got a factory 9mm barrel just need a 9mm mag....excited to try it out. Might start calling it the M&P49
    A factory 9mm barrel will work but not advised, you need a conversion barrel.

Really, I've only read great things about the factory swap...ppl with 1000's of 9mm with no worries. Im sure you'll always have that debate tho I guess. Once I get a 9mm mag I'll do a range report, even trying the 40/357 mag (heard the last round doesnt feed 100% of the time).

Just bought the 9mm kit and its a great deal! I have a question though... on youtube I've seen the field strip done by pressing the trigger rather than using the tool to flip the lever down (if you have one you know what I mean), but pressing the trigger doesn't seem to work on mine. Is this a Canadian thing? I know some people don't like the idea of pressing the trigger even on an unloaded firearm, but it would be nice to have the option.

thanks.

I found (on my 40) that you need to press the trigger the whole way....I thought I was doing it wrong or some was wrong until I realized I wasnt pulling the trigger the whole way....give a good trigger pull and she pops off.

i have a storm lake 40 to 9mm barrel as well for my M&P 40. works like a charm. in fact i have a spare one brand new in box on the EE. msg me if you're interested

I've shot all of their models with the exception of .22. Of the three (9,.40,.45) I liked .40 best. I better caveat the below with the following: I'm a short Irish kid with the proverbial smallish meat plugs that other folks call hands (stubby fingers and all). Additionally, have historically been a rifleman and have only been moving into handguns over the past 2-3 years.

Between the 9 and .40 I found that the recoil actual seemed to be more pronounced on the 9. Perceptually, it seemed that recoil was more noticeable at the muzzle and in my forearms on the 9 than the .40.

When I fired the .45 I found a pronounced jarring (could feel more of the round's discharge throughout the frame, not just in recoil). Really kind of difficult to describe. Like more of the energy from discharge was literally slamming through the weapon. Wasn't uncomfortable, just odd/distracting.

To that end, my hands got tired faster when firing the 9 and .45 models.

All three were accurate and in all honesty, a riot to fire.

At the end of it, I guess the best summary I could note is that the M&P design/concept (to my understanding anyway) was aimed more toward the .40 as standard or base and the other calibers were variant. Regardless, I think the Smith has done a jam up job with the line. If you can shoot them first, but that said, I would recommend any of the three and in a heartbeat regarding the .40.

Quote Originally Posted by MBaker View Post
    I found (on my 40) that you need to press the trigger the whole way....I thought I was doing it wrong or some was wrong until I realized I wasnt pulling the trigger the whole way....give a good trigger pull and she pops off.
    Thanks, I'll try that.

I would love to buy this, but i almost have enough for a SIG Sauer P226 9mm FDE Scorpion.
    Robinson Armament XCR Rifle

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-SPORTS View Post
    I would love to buy this, but i almost have enough for a SIG Sauer P226 9mm FDE Scorpion.
    We have a very beautiful one of those sitting here right at the moment.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast