Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Find Ontario Crown Land to Shoot On

CGN Regular
    Make this a sticky in several of the forum sections i.e Hunting, General, Newbie FAQs...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Great post!

BANNED
    "...not sure if..." Yep. Who owns the land in a discharge banned municipality is irrelevant.
    There are some plots of Crown Land, Simcoe County Forest, for example, that has further restrictions. SCF can only be hunted on by members of the OFAH. How they got that priviledge, I don't know. Suspect they paid the McGuinty Gang for it.

Awesome thread. Thanks for your educational post.

Quote Originally Posted by Arwho View Post
    Excellent!
    Could anyone in Quebec do the same thing? Tried but failed.
    Thanks in advance.
    It would be great to get the same kind of info available for all provinces and territories, wouldn't it! Hopefully others with the right knowledge can step up and help.
    Last edited by strathglass; 12-10-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    "...not sure if..." Yep. Who owns the land in a discharge banned municipality is irrelevant.
    There are some plots of Crown Land, Simcoe County Forest, for example, that has further restrictions. SCF can only be hunted on by members of the OFAH. How they got that priviledge, I don't know. Suspect they paid the McGuinty Gang for it.
    Well, I can see you are right about SCF:
    Page 5 of 14 of the "Simcoe County Forests Recreation Policy FULL VERSION":
    "All hunters must be members in good standing with the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters."
    That does seem odd. Although I support OFAH and am a member, so not a big deal for me.

At least the county does have its own GIS web site with an interactive map not unlike CLUPA and you can see which of the regional forest tracts allow hunting by just clicking on the particular tract.
    That site is at: www.simcoe.ca/dpt/it/gis/index.htm (click on the "Forests and Recreation" link) ... it even shows crown land which CLUPA does not since CLUPA doesn't go this far south (but the Simcoe site does not provide details on the crown land like CLUPA does).

NOTICE - I've updated my
    original post by adding one more tip about how to get a topographic map for any area of the province using the MNR LIO web site: see "TIP #2".

Having a topographic map view is a good thing to have to supplement the CLUPA crown land maps.

Glad everyone seems to find the information helpful!

[By the way, you may also have noticed that the MNR CLUPA web site isn't the most reliable: I've had it go for a few days not working, i.e. not showing colour markings on the map. Just wait and try again later...eventually it should work again.]
    Last edited by strathglass; 12-10-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Is there just no crown land in southwestern Ontario or does the map just not have data there?

I know about conservation land that is available for use close to where I live (Kitchener/Waterloo), I'm just not clear on all crown land.

To answer one of your concerns, yes the by-laws of a specific region/township apply to crown land. Call the district office and ask, so two examples.

1) I called the Aurora district office for the ministry that pertains to the GTA, and not surprisingly NO target shooting is allowed anywhere, on any crown land at all.
    2) I called the Peterborough district office and the nice lady there asked me to choose and area and she'd have the CO call me back. I chose area 74A, which pertains to Buckhorn, Curve/Pigeon lake area...while I haven't received a call back, it's been over 10 days, I'll call and get an answer.

The reason she made me choose an area is the because the CO will know the by-laws for that specific region which can allow hunting, but NOT allow target shooting. There are many many areas that this happens in.

But that is the safest way to go about it. Call the district office, pick an area of land off of the map shown above and ask about.

P.S. Hunting != Target shooting. If an area is legal for hunting that DOES NOT mean it is available for target shooting necessarily, ask to be sure.

Considering the difficultly of getting this information it would be amazing if we could compile a database of crown land available for both hunting or target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by seestheday View Post
    Is there just no crown land in southwestern Ontario or does the map just not have data there?
    It just doesn't cover southern Ontario yet, but is supposed to some day! The CLUPA web site says on the following on the main page:
    The Crown Land Use Policy Atlas (the Atlas) is the source of area-specific land use policy for Crown lands in a large part of central and northern Ontario. The area covered by the Atlas (area in yellow on inset map) includes more than 39 million hectares of Crown land and waters or about 45 per cent of the province. In time, the Atlas will be expanded to include southern Ontario...
    Last edited by strathglass; 12-18-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast