Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Find Ontario Crown Land to Shoot On

CGN frequent flyer
    And their crown land maps are NOT up to date.

Was talking, in person, to our regional CO a couple days back. There was a couple of parcels of crown land (noted) on a county map.

They seemed to be surrounded completely by farms/private property so asked about "un-opened crown road allowances" that "supposedly" give you access.

He made a few statements that I found surprising. He did bracket his comments by saying that their budget had been hacked so much over the years that most things are in disarray.

Anyhow, he said (at least in Ontario) that any reference to crown land in Ontario is drastically out of date and that no particular office tracks it. He didn't know if the "identified" crown land in his district was in fact "still crown" and didn't even know who to contact to find out. In many cases "administration" of the crown land has been passed to the county (so the land use desk at the county office "may" be able to help **I know for a fact that in Renfrew County you can "lease" a patch of hunting ground from the County, put up a structure etc - you pay "land tax" on the piece even though it is Crown land - but paying the tax gives you the privilege of setting up "permanent" buildings, stands etc).

As to the "un-opened crown road allowances" - he stated that there is two different classes - one that allows you access the other that doesn't (can't remember the terminology that he used), but that he likewise, didn't know where to get details as to which class was in effect for a particular allowance.

So the answer is, the MNRF is NOT the final authority on Crown Land in Ontario - there is literally nobody there that actually knows where it is (currently) and who controls it.

Tagged

CGN Regular
    tagged

I wish there was an app for the iPhone like they seem to have for Alberta (private app not govt)
    Member of the CSSA http://cssa-cila.org
    Member of the CCFR https://firearmrights.ca
    Member of the NRA https://home.nra.org

Heading up to havelock this weekend. Anyone know where I can shoot my 12 gauge. Doesn't look like there is any crown land close to the area according to the opening map of this thread. If Im wrong can you let me know.

What about ranges up there that don't cost a lot. Is there any place that is close to havelock to shoot ?

I called mnr , township, opp, etc. all pretty well passing the buck.

New gun owner. I thought this was kind of confusing. It's ok to own a gun but you can't use it unless you pay a place/range to use it. The township said I couldn't set up targets on cottage property so there goes that but where are the ranges or crown land. Going to research more now but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks
    every man dies, but not every man really lives!!! (william wallace)

found G349/ marmora con 8 lot 6/ all land around moira river.

is the closest crown land to shoot on to havelock? looks this way.

its solid yellow , does that mean i can shoot here beyond a shadow of a doubt?

thanks

i see that that area is surrounded by private land but only need to cross about 400 feet to get to the crown land. or i use the river to get to the crown land. i could bring my kayak to do it but thats a pain in the arse. is it illegal to cross 400 feet to get to the crown land? should i just ask the land owner if i can cross. or do i have to use a boat for the 400 ft?

I think it would be safer to ask before entering private land. Better safe than sorry I guess. I'm still trying to figure out how to use crown land too

I would check this out before shooting there, I found it with a quick google search and the land looks like it has been re zoned for maple syrup manufacture but I dont know for sure.

http://www.marmoraandlake.ca/wp-cont...w-2014-032.pdf

Good luck

BANNED
    Crown land is sometimes landlocked...and you cant get to it