Thread: Range Membership without Physical Card in hand ?

Range Membership without Physical Card in hand ?

I am wondering, can I get my range membership without my physical card in hand. My R/Pal has been issued, and I have all the details for it. I have also purchased my first firearm. Will a range accept just the info, without the actual card in hard. I am extremely anxious to get out there, and need a range to purchase some restricted items on my list. I know its only a couple weeks wait (up to 3 is what im seeing, I AM in BC)
    Any insight would be appreciated
    Thanks

CGN Regular
    I believe any club will take your membership. You will not be allowed to shoot without an orientation.
    BC firearms academy is also another possibilty. $30+ and qualifies as club. I did that my first year.

CGN frequent flyer
    Every range will have its own applications process, and you really have to talk to the good folks there and ask if you can start the process ahead of your card arriving.

I am joining a range here in Ontario and paid for the membership. They require I take an orientation class and pass a written and practical exam at the end. They said they won't get back to me with a class time until 3 weeks from now. Is this a common wait time at other ranges as well? Does anyone know why it takes so long to schedule an orientation class - are they running another background check/vetting my data (again) with the rcmp?

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnsaur View Post
    I am joining a range here in Ontario and paid for the membership. They require I take an orientation class and pass a written and practical exam at the end. They said they won't get back to me with a class time until 3 weeks from now. Is this a common wait time at other ranges as well? Does anyone know why it takes so long to schedule an orientation class - are they running another background check/vetting my data (again) with the rcmp?
    Can't speak to what the other range policies are, but with some ranges like mine, they are volunteer driven and these orientation courses are only given periodically due to the availability of the instructors, and sufficient numbers of new sign ups to justify holding the course. Not everyone is qualified to be an instructor. For new members, my club required a practical exam, and they are held on only certain days, once a month or maybe more. For one to shoot handguns, the member must take a subsequent handgun course, which are only held 1-2 times a year.

I think given how clubs are in demand with waiting lists often times topping 100 (our club's waiting list is over 100+), it is not unreasonable to be patient as the club lines up dates/times for available instructors, etc., all of whom are volunteers.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Good notes!

CGN frequent flyer
    Don't be the guy trying to whip through the new-member process in record time. You're there to demonstrate safe shooting skills, patience, get to know and be known by the people there, learn where everything is and how the local rules work (usually some history involved, stories to hear) and most especially not scare anyone. Participate in volunteer events, too.