Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 24567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: How To Find Ontario Crown Land to Shoot On

wow super useful thread, thanks for putting this all together.

Very helpful thread. Been shooting for a few years now recently purchased a new .308win for some big game hunting next year. Currently shooting on private land owned by my girlfriends family in the mount Albert area. Over 100 acres. Only problem is the bylaw restricts anything over .270 soooo I am now searching for some land I can start practicing with my .308. Anyone that has a spot and is looking for a shooting partner let me know. I know people on here really don't like to give away their secret spots. But I do not mind sharing my private spot with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanrb View Post
    Very helpful thread. Been shooting for a few years now recently purchased a new .308win for some big game hunting next year. Currently shooting on private land owned by my girlfriends family in the mount Albert area. Over 100 acres. Only problem is the bylaw restricts anything over .270 soooo I am now searching for some land I can start practicing with my .308. Anyone that has a spot and is looking for a shooting partner let me know. I know people on here really don't like to give away their secret spots. But I do not mind sharing my private spot with anyone.
    Doesn't the restriction only apply to hunting? I would call and ask to confirm but I'm pretty sure you can target shoot with whatever you want, you just can't hunt the property with it

Now this is a useful thread, subbed.
    -------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by justinb1981 View Post
    Doesn't the restriction only apply to hunting? I would call and ask to confirm but I'm pretty sure you can target shoot with whatever you want, you just can't hunt the property with it
    Apprenently the bylaws in this area are very specific. No discharge of a firearm unless durin a hunting season. Nothing over .270. Was actually just talking to someone and I just found out in our area there is no sighting in or target practice because the excessive shooting disturbes the wildlife. My girlfriends family has been shooting on the property for many years and as well as their neighbours and no one has had a problem. I will note as well there is no rifle hunting seasons in that area. Deer is bow and shotgun only. I really don't understand how they can tell someone with 150+ acres they are not aloud to shoot on their own property.

Strathglass,
    Great information. I've been looking for these types of maps regarding Crown Lands for years. I going to study some geography for next deer season. Thank you for the knowledge.

Thanks for this!

Going to be scouring for suitable crown land counting down till I get my PAL.

seems like the only Crown land closest to Ottawa is over an hour away, southwest of Arnprior and Carleton Place.....

ouch.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanrb View Post
    You can target shoot with your .308 on your in-laws farm. You just can't hunt small game with it.....key words being "small game".

Don't know if this was previously posted, but if you're scouting out new land to shoot on it might be best to confirm the location on the atlas is crown land with the MNF.

The atlas shows the location to not be crown land, but the MNF confirmed it indeed was.

There could be mistakes both ways, so best to double check and stay safe guys.