Thread: custom Barrel

custom Barrel

Dear Mr Mystic.
    I was hoping you could help me or at least point me in the right direction. I am building a custom mosin and have been searching for a heavy and or match barrel for the build. Is this something that you have or might be able to help with ?
    Thus far boyds thumbhole laminate
    drilled and tapped for scope
    timney trigger

but I really want a better barrel for the old girl.

Do you have these/install them or maybe where one might find them?
    Thanks,
    Scott.
    curiosity may have killed the cat....but at least the Lil bigger died knowing..

Supporting Dealer
    Have a look at the McGowen barrel website and let me know what you want. They are making almost drop in prefits for the Mosin Nagant

I am sure final fitting will be necessary so this is best done by a qualified gunsmith

Let me know...

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

To be honest, I am kinda new at the custom barrel/rifle game (it's why I picked an inexpensive starting platform)
    & am not 100% sure what I would be looking for but I wanted to start somewhere and am trying to learn....do you have any advice?
    I will be shooting @200yrds and would like a heavy & (as much as possible for the cartridge) accurate barrel.
    Things like what is a good rate of twist/ length for this caliber in your opinion ? Or anything else?
    Thank you in advance for any input you might have Jerry.

I am looking at the mcgowan website tonight
    thanks S.

Took a look at the website and I think I am even more confused than I started off at...their website is very difficult to navigate and understand.

....?

Supporting Dealer
    Give me an email so we can cover more info.

First off, forget about the mosin. If you do not understand the basics, you are way over your head with this rifle.

Set out your priorities for YOUR use. Be specific. General in, general out.

Be clear on your budget in real dollars. Any rebarrel is going to cost way more then any factory rifle so if unprepared to spend a bit of coin, look for a suitable factory rifle. Understand what you can afford to shoot. Lots of rifles sit in closets cause users forgot how expensive their latest greatest is to feed.

There is nothing cheap about building a custom rifle and the costs are pretty much the same regardless of the base platform so you better really like what you are working with if you choose a surplus rig.

Let me know...

Jerry

Ok...well that was totally discouraging..I have trouble understanding their convaluded mess of a website without a real clear picture of what they actually offer and or pricing so I can do proper research and the first thing I am told is, forget about it.
    I appreciate your time and words but don't really find that helpful and frankly am very discouraged if that is how the "custom/precision" world choses to look at things.
    My budget was already set out @ around 4500$, i figured that should have been much more than sufficient for a fun unique little project...maybe I'm wrong??

I appreciate the fact you took time to correspond but I was looking for your expertise and some advice.
    We all have to start somewhere and I was trying to genuinely seek the knowledge of a proffesional here not expecting to be told to "forget about it" which isn't very helpful in any way.
    If you are not interested, please just say so in the future instead of putting a potential customer down before even beginning.
    maybe you could have suggested some reading..or asked what budget I had before that comment.
    anyways good Sir I do not wish to take up any more of your time with a project you have no interest in.
    I am genuinely wishing you all the best with your business, maybe when I am not so basic and in over my head by coming to a proffesional ?My money will be good enough for your time and advice. Till then.
    thanks.

Supporting Dealer
    I have spent many years playing with all manner of WWI and WWII surplus rifles. I also supply and help produce precision rifles that compete at national and international levels.

Your question is to build a precision rifle which from my point of view has particular potential. If you want to build the best Mosin Nagant you can just because you can, Hey, let's fly at it.

BUT please do not consider my evaluation as a slight cause with todays options, I am being honest with your investment.

Send me an email and we can discuss. If not, good luck with your venture.

Jerry