Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Motiuk Prototype #2: 5.45x39mm Bolt Action Rifle

Supporting Business Member Motiuk Mfg.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zupermann View Post
    We'll need a steady ammo source for it to fly. Good on you ya'all for putting it together.
    Hornady, and Tulammo are currently available. Marstar also said that they have the ability to bring in cheap surplus 5.45x39.

Quote Originally Posted by mardig88 View Post
    any info on the pricing?
    Goood looking rifle
    Nothing firm on pricing, but should be below $1000

Quote Originally Posted by 8 ball View Post
    How does the 5.45x39 swap out to the 5.56 and 300 BLK with only a barrel change? The case head dimensions on the 5.45 are larger than the other calibers mentioned.
    You are correct. The 5.56 and 300blk only need a barrel swap, but the 5.45 will also need a bolt face and firing pin swap. (takes approx. 5min)

Quote Originally Posted by TRich View Post
    Would make a nice little varmint/target rifle... Any chance of high mag capacities? Regardless I would be down for one with a .300 blackout conversion too
    No higher capacity mags at this time, but are planned in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by boss351cleveland View Post
    Not sure i would want to fire corrosive surplus 5.45 through that rifle anyway but Tula and Wolf both make pretty cheap 5.45 i would like to see some accuracy results with some cheap Tula ammo , none is listed on their Canadian site for sale but i guess they dont bring it in cause nobody really has rifles chambered in that cartridge ..
    Firing corrosive shouldn't be a problem, as the barrel is nitrocarburized.
    Motiuk Mfg.
    www.motiuk.com
    sales@motiuk.com
    780-868-8295

Honestly, I think 5.45 is pretty small niche market. It's directly comparable to .223 and only makes sense if the cheap surplus is used. In a target rifle, there's not going to be a lot of savings.

Unless the surplus comes in for $200/1000 or less, the economics don't make sense. It's a "hey, look what I've got piece" mostly.
    Whatever

well if it comes out in 5.45,
    then surplus ammo will come,
    then AR-15 conversions will come for 5.45(ammo cheaper than 5.56 since there is no more Chinese surplus)
    other black-rifle conversions will come out, as well as dedicated 5.45 rifles

so the market might be small, but it will get bigger. just like anything else

Awesome@

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Honestly, I think 5.45 is pretty small niche market. It's directly comparable to .223 and only makes sense if the cheap surplus is used. In a target rifle, there's not going to be a lot of savings.

Unless the surplus comes in for $200/1000 or less, the economics don't make sense. It's a "hey, look what I've got piece" mostly.
    It comes in cases of 2080 so in theory if the price is the same per case as what we are seing then 200-250 for 2080 is awesome.

BANNED
    Not to take away from the build but all I see here is a re-barrelled Savage Axis in a Boyds stock, no?

And why 5.45?

7.62 x 39 is already so plentiful, and a better calibre to double as a deer gun.

Even the 300 BLK is a little more appealing option but only for a reloader.

Sounds like a neat project for sure, however, unless there's more rifles on the market than your's then there's no reason for Marstar to bring in any quantity of 5.45x39mm ammunition. Basically, it'll take a large importer like Marstar to bring rifles (Maybe Norinco? JW 105?) and ammo to Canada just to have the potential for market acceptance.

If the ammo is cheap enough, people will buy guns to shoot it. That's where you're likely to see any demand for your product in this cartridge.

I'd buy one to use as a hunting rig. Then again, I don't really GAF if my hunting rigs are in oddball calibers as they get limited use. I have other guns in standard calibers that come out on high volume days. 100ish rounds a year is all that my hunting rigs ever see. Most of them much less.

Supporting Business Member Motiuk Mfg.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebot-7 View Post
    Would these be made by Motiuk in house, or farmed out? Controlled Round Feed or Push Feed? What type of magazines would be used, a short and handy 300 blackout gun with 10 round mags would be great fun. What sort of price point and estimated delivery?
    Too early on to give concrete details. This was mostly just posted to guage interest in a 5.45x39mm bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post

Hornady 5.45 is about half the cost of Hornady .223 right now. Also, 7n6 surplus was selling for under $0.10/rnd not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mlehtovaara View Post
    Not to take away from the build but all I see here is a re-barrelled Savage Axis in a Boyds stock, no?

And why 5.45?

7.62 x 39 is already so plentiful, and a better calibre to double as a deer gun.

Even the 300 BLK is a little more appealing option but only for a reloader.
    Quite a bit more to it than that. And the biggest reason for using 5.45 is the low cost of ammo. Similar ballistics of .223, but half the cost.
    Motiuk Mfg.
    www.motiuk.com
    sales@motiuk.com
    780-868-8295

BANNED
    a 7.62x39 would be nice,,,could bring the bolt gun and the SKS and have a great cheap day at the range,,,,anyone know where i can find a bolt gun in 7.62x39???,,that's AVAILABLE,,,i've been looking for a long time,,,the Norincos are long gone,,,and everything else is pretty high priced,,,or maybe something that could be re-barrelled or re-chambered???,,any ideas would be appreciated.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast