Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Motiuk Prototype #2: 5.45x39mm Bolt Action Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Motiuk Mfg. View Post
    Too early on to give concrete details. This was mostly just posted to guage interest in a 5.45x39mm bolt gun.

Quite a bit more to it than that. And the biggest reason for using 5.45 is the low cost of ammo. Similar ballistics of .223, but half the cost.
    Not sure where you're coming up with the 1/2 the cost of .223 angle. If you look at Wolverine Supplies and SFRC both of those companies have 5.45x39mm Hornady steel cased ammo at approx. $23/(50 rds.) That's still significantly more expensive than either surplus or commercially available Federal .223 among others.

Quote Originally Posted by mlehtovaara View Post
    I'd love to know what exactly else there is to it. I guess the bolt head might need some milling but I can have any number of gunsmiths build one any time for the same price your wanting to sell these at.

For a .300 BLK there is nothing to it. A .223 Stevens, or Axis, and a simple barrel swap, and your good.

Sorry, I am done. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I can't see any innovation here..
    There'll be slightly more to it than just a barrel swap for the .300 Blackout. Both Savage and Remington rifles have had reliability issues ejecting the smaller case ith standard .223 Rem. bolts and need help in this area to be 100% reliable. Savages normally involve a different detent ball and spring if I'm not mistaken and Remington's usually have more positive ejection with the use of a .17/.221 FB based ejector/extractor. Other actions like Tikka's and Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard have little to no reported issues.

Supporting Business Member Motiuk Mfg.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bad4u2 View Post
    Not sure where you're coming up with the 1/2 the cost of .223 angle. If you look at Wolverine Supplies and SFRC both of those companies have 5.45x39mm Hornady steel cased ammo at approx. $23/(50 rds.) That's still significantly more expensive than either surplus or commercially available Federal .223 among others.
    Apples to apples (relatively speaking). Using SFRC as a the source, .223 Hornady V-Max is about $1.00/rnd while 5.45x39 Hornady V-Max is about $0.50/rnd. Also surplus (norinco) 5.56/223 is about $0.26/rnd, while surplus 5.45x39 is about $0.14/rnd. Again, approximately half the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mlehtovaara View Post
    I'd love to know what exactly else there is to it. I guess the bolt head might need some milling but I can have any number of gunsmiths build one any time for the same price your wanting to sell these at.

For a .300 BLK there is nothing to it. A .223 Stevens, or Axis, and a simple barrel swap, and your good.

Sorry, I am done. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I can't see any innovation here..
    A one-off rifle is quite different than a production rifle. And the cost would be quite different as well. Additionally, there is a huge time difference from buying a rifle off the shelf vs. waiting for a gunsmith to finish your custom build.

No innovation was ever claimed. Since the Mauser action, there really isn't much room left for innovation in a bolt action design. This thread was started to gauge interest for a 5.45x39mm bolt gun. We have a 5.45x39mm bolt gun that works and shoots well. As far as I know, it is the only non-prohibited 5.45x39mm gun in Canada at the moment.
    Motiuk Mfg.
    www.motiuk.com
    sales@motiuk.com
    780-868-8295

Quote Originally Posted by Motiuk Mfg. View Post
    ...while surplus 5.45x39 is about $0.14/rnd.
    Ok, I'll bite. Where are you getting 5.45x39mm surplus for that kind of price?

Supporting Business Member Motiuk Mfg.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bad4u2 View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. Where are you getting 5.45x39mm surplus for that kind of price?
    Just using AIM in the US as a comparison. At the moment there is no surplus 5.45 source in Canada, but the price should be pretty comparable to the US.
    Motiuk Mfg.
    www.motiuk.com
    sales@motiuk.com
    780-868-8295

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Also keep in mind that Prvi makes 5.45 (and 6.5 Grendel) as a softpoint hunting round - it won't compete with surplus, but for varmint use, the 5.45 can do some very nice things.
    "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man, Now I've reached that age if I do that stuff I'll end up in the can...."
    Apologies to Led Zep

any updates on this little gem??

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    I believe import rules mean they could deny military surplus unless a rifle to support it.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    I believe import rules mean they could deny military surplus unless a rifle to support it.
    well simple solution
    make the rifle for sale and start importing,
    pretty logical to me

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    I'm sure that is why the project started. I'd be interested in Left hand Savage 5.45.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast