Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A lightweight carbine length rifle...the Savage Model 10 Scout 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by jparent View Post
    Cheap practice in a rifle that is exactly the same as the 308 you already own. Same trigger, bolt throw, scope, etc.

Even at $400 more than a Norc, that's less than a case of surplus 308. At $200 per 1400 of 7.62x39, you can still shoot a lot more for less if you burn 1000s of rounds of practice per year.

Though personally, I'd like to see Savage release a Scout in 22.
    200$ for 1440 rounds ? PLease tell me where you are getting this. around here its more like +- $350
    NO COMPROMISE

Quote Originally Posted by 2bad4u2 View Post
    I don't get your point at all. So, toy're saying the only redeeming quality of the 7.62x39mm is the fact you can buy it cheap? If that's the case, why own anything other than a .22LR?
    bow and arrow is cheaper
    NO COMPROMISE

For me the toss up would be between this Savage and an M77/357. Both are great plinkers and each with a different advantage (relative to each other) as a light carry rifle for deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaput View Post
    200$ for 1440 rounds ? PLease tell me where you are getting this. around here its more like +- $350
    210$ for 1440
    http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/det...40-Rounds.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Chaput View Post
    Totally agree, plus, you can't even hunt with the ammo and if you do hunt with 7.62x39 your paying the same amount as regular ammo.

I don't get why people are exited about this.
    7.62x39 is pretty damn good little bullet. Perfect for a scout rifle. You can reload it with any .308 bullet on the market. This is going to be a beauty little bush gun out to 300yards, Which surpases my shooting ability on a standing shot.

I find it funny how people think this caliber is only good for plinking. the american eagle ammo is non-corrosive and brass cased. Its decently priced, but not nearly as cheap as the corrosive stuff. After your all done plinking with the FMJ, you'll have more than enough brass for a cost efficient non-corrosive tack driving deer killing freezer filling reloads. Lol
    -SideBurnz-

CGN Regular
    But it doesn't take a clip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
    These would work well with a handgun scope.

Quote Originally Posted by S1de8urnz View Post
    7.62x39 is pretty damn good little bullet. Perfect for a scout rifle. You can reload it with any .308 bullet on the market. This is going to be a beauty little bush gun out to 300yards, Which surpases my shooting ability on a standing shot.

I find it funny how people think this caliber is only good for plinking. the american eagle ammo is non-corrosive and brass cased. Its decently priced, but not nearly as cheap as the corrosive stuff. After your all done plinking with the FMJ, you'll have more than enough brass for a cost efficient non-corrosive tack driving deer killing freezer filling reloads. Lol

Except that it doesn't have the velocity or ballistics of .308. Or .30-06. Or pretty much any other .30. It might do the job, but it's not exactly a deer hunters first choice...especially when the others end up being the same price (or cheaper, reloading kit isn't free) and have cheap, reliable, accurate bolt guns chambered in them. Cheap milsurp coupled with cheap guns (SKS) really are the only reasons we're all crazy over 7.62x39, without those key points nobody would care about it except the quirky dudes who just have to be different. And by all means, have a couple expensive BA guns for the quirky need-to-be-different guys, but without some dirt cheap plinkers as well most guys are just going to keep buying SKS's to shoot this stuff with. As for whoever it was that said "hurr why buy it if you just want to plink get a .22 then" I have both and the reason is that .22 goes "pew pew" whereas x39 goes "bang bang", and they both do what they do quite economically...

Quote Originally Posted by ilovegunz View Post
    Except that it doesn't have the velocity or ballistics of .308. Or .30-06. Or pretty much any other .30. It might do the job, but it's not exactly a deer hunters first choice...especially when the others end up being the same price (or cheaper, reloading kit isn't free) and have cheap, reliable, accurate bolt guns chambered in them. Cheap milsurp coupled with cheap guns (SKS) really are the only reasons we're all crazy over 7.62x39, without those key points nobody would care about it except the quirky dudes who just have to be different. And by all means, have a couple expensive BA guns for the quirky need-to-be-different guys, but without some dirt cheap plinkers as well most guys are just going to keep buying SKS's to shoot this stuff with. As for whoever it was that said "hurr why buy it if you just want to plink get a .22 then" I have both and the reason is that .22 goes "pew pew" whereas x39 goes "bang bang", and they both do what they do quite economically...
    Of course the 7.62x39mm doesn't have the ballistics of much larger rounds. It was never meant to. You could use your logic for any caliber. Like I said earlier, why bother with anything in .22 centerfire if it isn't a .220 Swift? After all, a .223 Rem. or .22-250 isn't as powerful and you're using the same sized action for all cartridges. See? You can make that argument for anything. However, I doubt few would ever doubt the value and versatility of a .223 Remington.

I don't get your comment "Or pretty much any other .30." Have you never heard of a .30-30 Winchester before? Very comparable ballistics. Then there's a multitude of other more modern cartridges such as .300 Blackout, 7.62x40mm, and .30AR, just to name a few. All of those .30 cal. cartridges are far less powerful than .308 Win. or .30-06 Springfield but yet they are used successfully for hunting purposes within their capabilities and short to medium range distances.

I'm not a fan of the x39mm as per se. I only own a break action Baikal rifle in it and I haven't fired it yet. I don't have a lot of personal use for a SKS but I may eventually own one some day.

A bolt gun might not be for you but there seems to be a decent demand for them in the 7.62x39mm. I doubt few guys are buying +$800 CZ 527's for the sole purpose of shooting surplus ammo through them.

I will add the following observation: Shooting is a perishable skill, once learnt the basics are not forgotten but to maintain a high skill level requires practice, constant practice. Personally I have found that any shooting is better that none at all. I walk round the pastures here shooting gophers "off hand" with a .22 before I go on Safari in Africa, it improves my quick reactions, snap shooting, sight picture and trigger squeeze, this all helps. The ability to shoot cheap 7.62x39 ammo in a bolt gun would allow for more "trigger time" and make excellent practice for a lot of us.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovegunz View Post
    The whole point of 7.62x39 is cheap milsurp ammo, it would be a non entity otherwise, why is the only cheap thing to shoot it with an SKS? $7-900 for a bolt action gun that shoots an antiquated calibre is ludicrous. /end vent
    Might as well buy a bolt action 30-30 if you want an intermediate powered antique cartridge.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast