Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson Model 500

So If I understand correctly these comments. I should go for the 460V.

Claude - Your Friendly Zombie Hunter
    Claude NFA - NRA - FCSA
    Vide Aude Tace -
    Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is the ability to ACT properly in the face of fear.

You do not need to be over 50 to shoot the .50BMG. Try it

Someone died in the states this last November from what was pointed out above: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/04...souri-gun.html. Use caution and common sense, and if loading more than one at first, at least leave spaces in the cylinder to prevent double taps.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    So If I understand correctly these comments. I should go for the 460V.
    No. You should get both.

One for each hand.

ok

Good advice
    Claude NFA - NRA - FCSA
    Vide Aude Tace -
    Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is the ability to ACT properly in the face of fear.

You do not need to be over 50 to shoot the .50BMG. Try it

Quote Originally Posted by stac50bmg View Post
    A general question. which one is the most powerful the 500 S&W or the 460 S&W

I've seen this question many times. It's my understanding that it depends on your definition of "powerful". I can't give you exact numbers right now, but if you look into some of the factory loads, the heaviest hitting .500's do edge out the .460's in torque produced. That, however, is FACTORY loads. I don't think anyone has offered a factory load for the .460 that reaches it's full potential yet. The cylinder external diameter of both guns is the same (though I believe the .460's is longer). The .460 being .05 inches smaller in diameter therefore allows it to operate safely at higher pressures due to the greater amount of material used for each chamber. I don't have the numbers right now, but I've read that, operating at maximum pressures for each cartridge, the (65 000 maximum p.s.i.) .460 S&W Magnum hits with more torque. This, however, is with maximum saami spec'd cartridges. I don't believe any factory ammunition maker is offering such a cartridge. From what I understand, it is because no one makes brass for this round that can handle such a high p.s.i. If you define power of a cartridge by the torque it produces, then the .460 is the more powerful. If you define power as killing power, then you can try punching numbers into a T.K.O. calculator like this one http://www.n4lcd.com/calc/. Many professional hunters are said to believe that this is a far more valuable measure of a cartridge than the torque produced. John Linebaugh also did some penetration tests that included both cartridges. Google linebaugh seminar penetration tests. Interesting reading, though I believe the cartridges used for the tests were different factory loads, which, again, aren't necessarily max. loads. In conclusion, it depends on how you define power. If you want it in absolute scientific terms, then as stated, a max. loaded .460 will produce more torque than a max. loaded .500. If you prefer penetration tests T.K.O. values, or "killing power" the results may differ. If you're interested enough to go to the trouble, you can do some research online, or better yet do some experimenting yourself. There's nothing quite like first hand experience to make up a man's opinion, and of course, it's more fun than comparing numbers or internet research.

Quote Originally Posted by CanXB View Post
    I picked up a 460V and a 500 with an 8 3/8" barrel and interchangeable compensators recently. Have not shot either but am very excited. Locally I can get the Hornady 200 gr FTX (9152) for 28.99 a box and the Hornady 350 gr XTP Mag (9250) for 63.99 a box. Since investing in a bit of this ammo I have since ordered an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme reloading kit to reload the spent brass. Everyone says these two revolvers are a blast (no pun intended) so I can't wait. Any advice, warnings or just general info in regards to reloading either of these would be appreciated.
    I'd be interested in any 500 S&W loads available for $28.99 a box. Please pass along the info. Send me a PM first before posting, I want to get my order in first before the price goes up.

I have a S&W 686 .357 mag. I was thinking on a 629 .44 rem mag, but latley I've been looking at these 460s and 500s. What do y'all think?

Watch any 460 YouTube video and your choice is easy. Its a flame thrower and will take 45lc to save u money.
    Here is mine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG3Lh...e_gdata_player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitumen View Post
    I have a S&W 686 .357 mag. I was thinking on a 629 .44 rem mag, but latley I've been looking at these 460s and 500s. What do y'all think?
    Last edited by Bak Dur; 01-05-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Somebody punched a hole in our outdoor range roof when double tapping this gun. I wasn't there but the guy was a newbie and he sold the gun shortly after this incident.

I'm really interested in buying this gun...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    Loading 1 at a time is a must for newbies. The 500 has significant kick. I like to start off the newbies with a soft load similar to 44 mag.

For those like myself that luv DA look for a performance center model, the extra smoothness makes a difference in DA. Nothing like shooting a factory load in DA, luv that fireball.

Great way to progress to the big boys. Start with 357, then to 629, end with 500. Can't shoot a lot of 500 in one outing so bring a 357 or 44 along to entertain for the rest of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitumen View Post
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast