Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Visa Debit

Quote Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
    Incorrect. Visa Debit is NOT processed by Interac in any circumstances. They are competing products, not 'one and the same' anywhere. Interac has a monopoly on Debit payments in Canada right now, and Visa is trying to change that.

Most merchants 'opt out' of accepting Visa Debit because of the high fees (%) vs Interac (cents/transaction).
    The Visa Debit cards in Canada carry the Interac logo... so although Visa and Interac are direct competitors, they are linked in Canada. I'm talking strictly in the Canadian space, things are different south of the border as there is no Interac equivalent there.

One of the main reasons retailers prefer Interac is the flat rate fee of $0.25/transaction vs. Visa/MC/AMEX which charge a percentage (Interchange fee).
    Check other started threads for combo deals

I use EMT. Costs me $1.50, nothing to the dealer. I think it is the best option, dealer gets money, I get product. My $.02 worth, or rounded off now, $.00 worth.

Bearc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The 25 cent fee is actually not correct. Some small stores get charged more then the 25 cents. One store I deal at gets dinged something like 75 cents so he charges extra to use it. He told me the bill per month was more then his mortage almost.
    One gun store in Calgary charges enough extra for Interact that I have walked down to the grocery store and drawen out funds to pay them instead of paying their price.

Yeah, I've tried using the VISA/Debit card thing over the phone to buy firearms from stores in Canada, and it never seems to work... Very frustrating as most won't take EMT either...

Some of us just don't like using credit cards...
    “Christianity preaches the infinite worth of that which is seemingly worthless and the infinite worthlessness of that which is seemingly so valued.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I can tell you that majority of retail outlets don't have debit visa for online orders. I have been able to use it on Amazon.ca and other American sites, but never any Canadian Ones. I have Tried. Cabelas, Costco, futureshop, wholesale sports, wolverine supplies, grouse river, prophet river. to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by Raton57 View Post
    The 25 cent fee is actually not correct. Some small stores get charged more then the 25 cents. One store I deal at gets dinged something like 75 cents so he charges extra to use it. He told me the bill per month was more then his mortage almost.
    One gun store in Calgary charges enough extra for Interact that I have walked down to the grocery store and drawen out funds to pay them instead of paying their price.
    Either they are getting ripped off by their provider or they aren't being honest...
    Check other started threads for combo deals

The interchange fee is usually 3%.

Quote Originally Posted by Raton57 View Post

I do, but I prefer to use Visa Debit because I can't do my usual irresponsible calculus of "oh, I'll just pay it later". Did that through college and I'm still paying down my credit card debt 3 years later. You'd be shocked how much credit they will give a 21 year old with a 20hr a week job.

Quote Originally Posted by addiboi View Post
    I think the bigger question is why not get a credit card? Odds are if you are on here you own firearm(s) which means odds are you have a permanent residence and are over 18....also probably have money to feed your hobby :P

just my 0.02$

To answer the original question, I contacted Marstar and they DO NOT take Visa Debit. Many retailers don't.

CGN frequent flyer
    It's a function of the service provider, not the merchant. Unfortunately, it's force upon many of us when our banks issue us a new card without explaining the difference or the ramifications of activating the new Visa Debit card. Not all merchants can accept the new Visa Debit as a form of payment and it's no fault of their own. This should be brought up with your bank and the merchant's service provider. I've written several times to TD Canada. Naturally, thy're of no help and they refuse to issue me the old version of my card.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast