Thread: Where should I start?(Getting a handgun)

CGN Regular

Where should I start?(Getting a handgun)

My grandfather passed away some time ago and he left a handgun to me. It is located in Vancouver with my uncle who does not possess a PAL however, he is the executor of the estate. I live in Alberta and I posses an RPAL. I am very confused on how I should go about having this gun transferred and mailed to me as the RCMP guidelines are vague at best. Could someone please outline the steps and the order in which I should proceed?

BANNED
    My guess is it will go trough the same steps as someone selling a handgun to someone else in another province.
    I suggest putting this question in the general firearm forum someone who already dealt with this issue might be able to help you there.
    A lot of members don't browse the newbie facts.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    As I understand it, the executor should be able to contact the CFC at 1 (800) 731-4000 and then use the extension to initiate a transfer. I forget what number it is, the automated service will tell him.

At that point he will need you information, name, address, PAL, as well as information about the firearm such as the registration certificate. If he doesn't know already, read the card exactly. I transferred a pistol and said the caliber was 9x19, and the lady had no idea what that meant because the system said 9mm Luger.

That should allow him to initiate the transfer into your name.

When the transfer is complete, I cannot recall if the exector will need an ATT to take it to the post office to mail it to you.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

CGN Regular
    Thank you so much for the help!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    I'm not sure if the CFO will need a copy of the death certificate or other paperwork stating that the exector is in fact the executor.

I would recommend giving the NFA, or CSSA, a call just to make sure everything lines up. They are probably the experts in these matters, and I would hate to give you bad advice especially if it results in an inheritance being lost.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.