Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes an ATRS lower so great?

BANNED

What makes an ATRS lower so great?

This is a genuine question.

ATRS lowers are 2 to 3 times the price of regular AR lower receivers, and I'd like to understand why.
    In my head, and I may be mistaken, a lower is a lower is a lower.

Could someone with actual technical knowledge, wether ATRS themselves or a knowledgeable customer, explain to me the differences that make it worth the price?

Thank you.

Rosco
    Proud Member of the CSSA and NFA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    I guess I should buy one. That way I will know for sure.

You get a few features that not all lowers come with and get a high end lower, but realistically you're paying to support a small shop that makes parts in small batches.

Here's why I bought an ATRS Gen 4 Lower;

It's Canadian, it has an actual Ambi bolt release instead of the abortion that is bad lever and its clones and the price includes a Mil Spec LPK installed ($150 value IMO). I live in Calgary so I was able to go into the shop and see with my own eyes before I purchased, plus no shipping. They machine out of 7075 instead of 6061 and hold to tighter tolerances than a big producer. To me all of that was worth the extra $$$$. To make my decision really easy, on my first trip to ATRS while I was waiting to speak with Dustin a gentlemen came in with a scope or bipod that had a small piece of plastic break off some cosmetic part of it. Rick didn't even need to see the receipt. He took one look, reached under the counter and handed the guy a brand new one.

In short, great product, great service, worth whatever "extra" money you spend.

I currently have my Gen 4 lower mated to a BCM upper (shoots like a dream!), but my next AR will be all ATRS.
    Murphy's Law + Scouts Motto = Be prepared for everything to go wrong

I gave $50 for the labour to install it, tune the trigger.
    Murphy's Law + Scouts Motto = Be prepared for everything to go wrong

Wow, nitpicking much. Sorry, when I made the purchase I allotted not gave $99 for the LPK, and $50 for the installation of said LPK to save me the hassle of doing it myself. So that's $150 out of the $685. To me it's worth $50 for the peace of mind if anything doesn't function correctly on first firing I can take my (yes expensive) lower back to Rick and he'll make it right. But less $150 and the Gen 4 lower is $535. Which is about what I would pay for something like a Noveske lower and it doesn't have an ambi bolt release, or a shop I can drop by any day of the week.

Quality is great but there is nothing wrong with milspec lowers(counting that it is milspec), if you have deep pockets and want a custom built AR15 than ATRS would be a great choice. Their top shelf prices don't sit well with most milspec users, I thought about getting one myself but didn't want to drop the coin on something that is designed to be meshed perfectly with one of their uppers.

Currently running a Bushmaster lower and BCM upper with no complaints.

Their components are priced at exactly what they have determined the market will bear, relative to the cost vs. profit that they as a business have determined appropriate. If their products were truly overpriced, they wouldn't sell any and they would either have lower their prices or turn off the lights and lock the doors.

Dustin built up a complete ATRS rifle for me last year, and it cost me a small fortune. That said, it is second to none in fit and finish and I always had the choice to go elsewhere. Doing so would have saved some money, but I don't believe I would have received the same level of product or service that ATRS had provided. In the end, there are no truly good deals and you only get what you pay for.

I don't think they charge anything for installing the LPK when you buy their lower. You can ship them your LPK and they will take off the price to $485, I think. Well still not cheap but this is what it cost for non-mass produced product.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast