Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any chance of getting Norinco broomhandle mausers?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ardent's Avatar
    Northern BC, Coastal BC, or Africa. Depends on the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donster 125 View Post
    If it came in 9mm and had a detachable box mag, I'd take one.
    Why would they build that? Why not buy a modern pistol that is designed to take box mags from the get go than trying to pervert a C96 into something bizarre- late 1800's technology with modern mags. Yes, it was done in the states and it didn't prove popular there either.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ardent's Avatar
    Northern BC, Coastal BC, or Africa. Depends on the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlerifleelitist View Post
    Sign me up, even at like $800
    It better be in 7.62x25, not the ####ty .30 mauser
    They are utterly the exact same cartridges, just loaded to different pressures. The 7.62x25 is just a Russian over-fuelled .30 Mauser, the .30 Mauser is no slouch on its own and was the fastest handgun cartridge until the .357 Magnum. The C96 is a late 1800's design and never made for ultra high pressures, the .30 Mauser is very high pressure as it is for that era.

CGN frequent flyer
    Oh man I'd love one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer NavyShooter's Avatar
    The problem with this idea is that they require a high degree of individual fitting and finishing, not to mention a vast amount of machining time to produce.

The cost of a newly manufactured (even a Chinese copy) of the C-96 BHM will be much higher than any of you would presume....it's not a cheap pressed steel receiver, it's not a bunch of punched out metal parts...it's a LOT of precision machining...which is expensive.

NS
    One shot one tequilla

Death from a bar....

Quote Originally Posted by NavyShooter View Post
    The problem with this idea is that they require a high degree of individual fitting and finishing, not to mention a vast amount of machining time to produce.

The cost of a newly manufactured (even a Chinese copy) of the C-96 BHM will be much higher than any of you would presume....it's not a cheap pressed steel receiver, it's not a bunch of punched out metal parts...it's a LOT of precision machining...which is expensive.

NS
    This. A broomhandle would be cheaper coming from China, but it wouldn't be cheap. They would be pretty pricy, especially if they had to redesign it to shoot some round that the original broomhandle never fired, like some are suggesting. Furthermore, while I like Norinco, this pistol would require a lot of hand-fitting as NS mentioned. I trust them to churn out AK's, SKS' and even M4 clones, but something as intricate as a broomhandle?

Eh, I'd be skeptical. But, heck, I wouldn't buy one anyway. Hopefully it works out.
    89AA04004

Victoria BC or up the Creek northeast of Prince George
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    They are utterly the exact same cartridges, just loaded to different pressures. The 7.62x25 is just a Russian over-fuelled .30 Mauser, the .30 Mauser is no slouch on its own and was the fastest handgun cartridge until the .357 Magnum. The C96 is a late 1800's design and never made for ultra high pressures, the .30 Mauser is very high pressure as it is for that era.
    Well I just compared (measured with my digital Caliper) actual loaded Factory Ammo. The Flocchi labeled 7.63 Mauser casing measures 24.97 mm long, and the China North Industries Corp casing measures 24.59mm.

My notes indicate, the Chinese Ammunition did not cycle as well as the Flocchi.

Cheers

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    Why would they build that? Why not buy a modern pistol that is designed to take box mags from the get go than trying to pervert a C96 into something bizarre- late 1800's technology with modern mags. Yes, it was done in the states and it didn't prove popular there either.
    IF they build one at all - why not? The M712 Schnellfeuer saw a little less that 100,000 produced - it was selective fire. However the US model that you're talking about (made by Federal Ordnance) was actually a comination of refurbished parts and new frame. It worked ... works ... well enough - I know this from personal experience (imported one around 1991). So ... why not?

CGN Regular
    I would be in for 2.

Yeah I'd take one in a heartbeat

Want +1, please take my money.
    Member CSSA, NFA

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast