Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Overstock Gen4 G17s

CGN Regular
    I just got mine in the mail today. It's a USA one but it doesn't matter to me, the quality looks good. I assume I was towards the tail end of the deal and I appreciate you honoring the price. Thanks, I will buy from you guys again.

Ive heard reports of the slide coating isnt as durable on the USA ones, but i'm sure most of that is hive-mind speculation based on one or two questionable reports.

I was a late comer and mine is a USA made one. I guess the idea of it is a little dissapointing, but if i actually look at the situation its really a moot point. I (we) got a fantastic handgun for below dealer cost, and i doubt that glock would allow quality to suffer regardless of where its made. I'm pleased with my gun. I'll buy from PR again for sure.

Looks like I'm getting 2 USA made ones in a few days. A little bit upset. but what can ya do. *fingers crossed for Austria made ones* highly doubt it though from what I'm hearing

Quote Originally Posted by fufalump View Post
    Ive heard reports of the slide coating isnt as durable on the USA ones, but i'm sure most of that is hive-mind speculation based on one or two questionable reports.

I was a late comer and mine is a USA made one. I guess the idea of it is a little dissapointing, but if i actually look at the situation its really a moot point. I (we) got a fantastic handgun for below dealer cost, and i doubt that glock would allow quality to suffer regardless of where its made. I'm pleased with my gun. I'll buy from PR again for sure.
    Unfortunately it is true the finish on the US one sucks and if Austrian ones are the same then glock just managed to create a finish that is worse than the original Springfield XD finish. I have one of those Springfield guns and after 6 years of use its finish looks better than my new glock I have had less than 24 hours. Maybe it will be fine over time but I just don't think it is going to hold up. It really is too bad as my gen 3.5 still looks new, glock used to have a very tough finish.
    Last edited by sbe; 02-14-2014 at 02:22 AM.

I read up on it, and apparently the Tennifer process they used to use on the slides violates a bunch of health and safety codes in the states because of the by products it creates, and is thus illegal. The slides are still hardened to the same amount as before, but the coating is slightly different, and can vary wildly on the mix and person running the batch so it can have varying colors across the same models etc.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FreedomIsn'tFree's Avatar
    I read up on it, and apparently the Tennifer process they used to use on the slides violates a bunch of health and safety codes in the states because of the by products it creates, and is thus illegal. The slides are still hardened to the same amount as before, but the coating is slightly different, and can vary wildly on the mix and person running the batch so it can have varying colors across the same models etc.
    Mine is a dark grey color and is very different from my Other Glocks. I have a Gen3 17 and 22 as well as a Gen4 17. My Gen3 17 has been used for a few years and has been holstered thousands of times and shows very little wear. I will keep my USA Glock and see how it stands up against my Gen3. It is already starting out with a small scratch from new, so time will tell. I think this may end up being a bad move for Glock.
    It's better to have questions you can't answer, then answers you can't question.
    When you have no property rights, YOU ARE THE PROPERTY!
    WEXIT, IPSC, CCFR.

I've been seeing this too, with the twist extra that Glock has not used the 'classic' Tenifer process since 2011. So it really doesn't matter if it's an American or Austrian built/assembled pistol. Sign 'o the times.

It's hard to nail down any exact sources. Just trying to piece this together from various reports from Glock Armorers, articles, and forum postings. There's apparently some interesting details on the process itself in Peter Kokalis' Weapons Tests And Evaluations: The Best Of Soldier Of Fortune.

Search on 'tenifer' on glock.com and you'll find a total of zero articles.

Anyone have access to any official press releases? Or is this is in the domain of corporate secrets?

CCFR Member & CSSA Member • “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.” - HST

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    Has anyone done a shooting comparison between the US and Austrian ones?

All this talk and concern about finish aesthetics is kinda funny. Maybe I'm spending too much time shooting them and not enough admiring them.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Burnaby,

Point taken. What makes a Glock a Glock will remain proven at the range. I'm positive that there will be no difference, regardless of finish or which plant ultimately assembles the infamous pistol.

However, as a student of history, I'm compelled to try and nail down the details. It's fascinating/frustrating how elusive any official details are.

But that doesn't reflect on the overall quality of firearm nor the dealer who is responsible for an awesome price.

Quote Originally Posted by burnaby View Post
    Has anyone done a shooting comparison between the US and Austrian ones?

All this talk and concern about finish aesthetics is kinda funny. Maybe I'm spending too much time shooting them and not enough admiring them.
    CCFR Member & CSSA Member • “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.” - HST

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    Makes sense a business would NOT release business acumen that does not improve sales. By law have to state where it is made or else that wouldn't be listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Islay View Post
    Burnaby,

Point taken. What makes a Glock a Glock will remain proven at the range. I'm positive that there will be no difference, regardless of finish or which plant ultimately assembles the infamous pistol.

However, as a student of history, I'm compelled to try and nail down the details. It's fascinating/frustrating how elusive any official details are.

But that doesn't reflect on the overall quality of firearm nor the dealer who is responsible for an awesome price.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.