Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Proj Revolvers now in!

Quote Originally Posted by SoylentD View Post
    I am too, the 38 sp being an underpowered round versus the 357. However every gun manufacturer who has 357 listed has the /38sp after, and the Alfa guys don't. They also have specific 38sp revolvers too.
    Alfa makes two series of revolvers, identical in appearance but completely different in strength and price. The older, less expensive guns have alloy frames; the newer designs are all steel. Alfa's steel .357 will handle .38 without problem but the alloy .38 will not hold up under .357-equivalent loads.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    - Seneca the Younger

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    The alloy and steel guns are both being imported.

If I list it as 357 Mag it takes 357/38 Special. If I list it as 38 special it only takes that.

Ryan

Any stainless steel versions?
    Bashing another mans boomstick just once is a cardinal sin to the gun gods - lucky07

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lejarretnoir's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexD92 View Post
    So I'll ask again since it seems like my question was missed. What is the actual bore diameter for the Alfa revolver?
    I'll second that.
    Here's hoping for a true .355" bore otherwise accuracy will suffer for factory ammo.

CGN frequent flyer WestIslandRifle's Avatar
    Ryan

Does the 9mm use moon clips or does it have the funky ejector like the charter arms pit bull?

Thank you
    member C.P.C.A, NFA and F.Q.T
    "Keep your powder dry , and your eyes on the target " R.Lee Ermey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kveldulf View Post
    Alfa makes two series of revolvers, identical in appearance but completely different in strength and price. The older, less expensive guns have alloy frames; the newer designs are all steel. Alfa's steel .357 will handle .38 without problem but the alloy .38 will not hold up under .357-equivalent loads.
    You can't fit a .357 in a .38. Too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperpopper View Post
    If you reload you might consider using some appropriate powder to get the reduced performance you want out of a 38, or reduced cost. Of course these questions on 9 mm and 38 tend to come from people anticipating using the cheaper bulk ammo. The advantage to shooting full length cartridges in the 357 is that they are the correct length for the revolver bullet jump wise, and the cylinder stays cleaner.
    As to the length, yes, the "extra" jump the bullet has to make is suboptimal. However, in the real world, it seldom seems to make a difference. Between .38 and .357 or 9mm and .380, the bullet has not even cleared the case mouth before the difference in length is made up.
    The most important thing seems to be the fit of the bullet to the bore, and the kind of bullet being used. Soft(er) lead bullets upset very easily, and seal to the bore pretty well. FMJ does not do as well. And the lead bullets commonly used in 9mm ammo is also on the hard side, so often 9mm slugs do not show top grade accuracy when fired down a .357 (.358) barrel.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by lejarretnoir View Post
    I'll second that.
    Here's hoping for a true .355" bore otherwise accuracy will suffer for factory ammo.
    I'm very curious too. I thought the Blackhawk was a novel concept, but I'm no fan of single-actions. A convertible double-action would be a much more interesting piece.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    9mm projectiles work absolutely fine in a .357 revolver barrel.

Don't let anybody tell you differently.

The guys who say you shouldn't, are simply the guys who don't.

Anybody who has actually done it, will tell you it works just fine.

For example; Berry's 9mm bullets measure .356, and the 38-special bullets measure .357 in diameter.

Both are cut by the rifling, and fly just fine out of the barrel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast