Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 27-28 Sep 2014 Precision Rifle Clinic CFB Petawawa Debrief Here!

27-28 Sep 2014 Precision Rifle Clinic CFB Petawawa SOME Spots LEFT!

What a weekend, perfect weather, great bunch of guys to shoot with, prime rib dinner, same jokes and some new material as well. What more can you ask for. It was to see old faces and meeting new ones as well. Learned some new tricks which helped out a lot, got some new shooting gear (thanks Steve, those sighter holders are pretty slick). Still need to learn reading wind better, it was playing tricks on me. And to breath, to think something you do all day, everyday. That you can control it under some pressure. A big thanks to Barney for putting on another awesome clinic, Morgan and Brett, thank you for RO ing and making sure we all ate. Scott you ran the butts like a boss, Best I've ever seen, except for the hiccup of two rounds for a three second exposure thing but I'm sure relay one forgives you. Second PR clinic for me, it's time to give a ORA match a go and maybe some CQB in the spring? It would be nice to see some ORA and some more precision comps at Pet, guys make it happen. And always remember. Load faster, shoot better.
    Last edited by Lt John McClane; 09-28-2014 at 11:24 PM.

As always a Barney clinic is a ridiculous value! I don't think anyone will mind if I speak for everyone and say that everyone literaly had a blast. The weather was awesome, everything ran very smooth and everyone got along great. The lessons learned from last year were put to good use. Gone was the tactical tarp and the rife bag/shooting mat worked beatifully. The new electronic hearing protection were worth every penny. The bean bag was way more confortable to rest the rifle on compaired to holding it up for 10min on an agony snap. Thanks to Steve for selling me the bag, check out his web site 693precision.com! The time spent setting up the rife properly and getting it comfortable paied off huge with excellent results at the 600.

Next year I will have to work on getting a descent spotting scope.

Thanks to everyone for making it such an exceptional weekend.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Avalonthas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
    Awesome weekend, thanks Barney.

Lessons learned: don't bring norinco ammo and an m14 with wood stock. Barney WILL laugh at you.
    We also had a laugh on the way home to the GTA when we saw your post 6pm today selling a Norc M14

Great weekend, many jokes shared, made some new friendships, frumpy/chalk/Barney/scott were excellent hosts.

I missed the CQB clinic last year due to a broken ankle so I am glad I got out for this clinic
    There's Mil-spec, and then there's Gunnutz-spec.
    One is stringent, the other contains nuts.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    Finally made it home, that was a long slog lol.

I had an insane amount of fun, as per usual at your shoot gentlemen.

Tac-teacher, Chalkriver, Scott, and Frumpy, thank you all so much for hosting this event, you guys run a good tight ship!

Cheers to all the guys I met from last year again, great shooting the chit and shooting beside you guys, always a pleasure.

I'll try to get up whatever photos and videos of the shoot I have. (didn't take many, was too busy shooting faster/ better!)

Looking forward to taking another Borden PR match, the last one was tons of fun.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

Business Member
    I'm home safely now. Too much to type especially on the iPhone keyboard. What a freaking great time. I cannot stop thanking all for your kind words after torturing you with my lousy singing during the agony snap exercises. I should just stuck with the Stomping Tom on the loud hailer.

Many thanks to our Petawawa hosts for a well ru. Booking process from start to finish.

Many thanks to the Montreal and québécois or quebexican shooters for putting up with my franglaisie stunts and skills.

Many thanks for meeting new faces and being able to recycle some of the old stories once again. Next clinic I am wearing my Leafs goaltender jersey. I'm not joking.

Many thanks to Scott for bolunteering his weekend to yell at all of you in the butts. Any ORA Match ain't gonna happen and run efficiently without the good Butts Officers as all of you witnessed. A well typed match description does help on my part if I did not screw up the typing that forced all of you to shoot two rounds during the three second exposure at the 200 Yard rapid follow up match .

Oooops! all good fun though

Many thanks To all of you service members who trusted me to run a smooth weekend clinic on your ranges since some range exercises can be frustrating at the best of times. I am here to show you how to run smooth relays , butts changes and a smooth match transition. How can you tell I've ran a military range before? I've been trained by the best and I am forever grateful. No you know how it's supposed to be done!

Many thanks to those service members who shared their deployment experiences and stories with me. I thank you for your trust and confidence in our brotherhood community. I am deeply honored that you all dearly loved the clinic. I am humbled by your contribution to the community.

Many thanks to our organizers and also to the kind help at Range Control for a smooth registration process and a slick arch off process. It reminds me of the great relationship I have shared with Connaught Range control, Borden Range Control and Dundurn Range Control. Without their help any range exercise ain't gonna run fast.

Many thanks to the newbies for their Latin e when I was yelling at them on the 600 yard mound to shoot faster and send more booolits downrange even when the previous booolit was not even pulled down and indicated. I promised that I would get your money's worth and shoot more booolits. :D

Many thanks to all the relays in the butts for speedy efforts in target presentation since Scott could not make things happen without your energy.

Okay I better bed down now.

So what was your aha moment?

What was your mofo moment?

For you Quebexicans, what was your tabernac moment when you realized what I showed you actually worked ??

Bring on the reflections of a super two day clinic? I say super since I laughed myself to a sore throat now. I am sore and hoarse from yelling,"shooter faster!"

Cheers and thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Barney

Business Member
    I bet that was me who locked the thread because of my phat thumbs at 0130 in the morning on my iPhone.

Discuss away!

Hey guys, thanks for all your hard work down in the butts and in getting those targets up and down so fast. It made my job much easier! I know my students will appreciate that I lost my voice at the end of the day yesterday and so I won't be yelling at them too much today. Bwahahaha.

I had a great time and learned a lot. I was more active than usual last weekend, but on the injury front, no sunburn, sore muscles or hurt feelings, just a few scratches and a couple of bruises.

I would probably bring a different gun next time, but I will stubbornly try to improve my results with the M305 by getting a good cheekpiece, a better rear rest, a 10 round mag and a softer (than steel) recoil pad! Of the 'Rinco M305's I've owned and seen owned by others, I did get a much better than average one, so now it's just getting the most out of what I have. A good combination drag bag, shooting mat and rifle case is a must buy as well.

My thanks to all who ran this event and to the participants. A great bunch of guys, and the only lingering negative effect I have is a tune that I can't get out of my mind - it starts, "The Cabin Boy the Cabin Boy......."
    Andy

Since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Avalonthas View Post
    We also had a laugh on the way home to the GTA when we saw your post 6pm today selling a Norc M14
    My dreams of shooting precision with an M14 just aren't going to happen. After shooting the AR10 on Sunday I realized how much better it was than a done up M14 (even with the ####ty ammo)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    So what was your aha moment?

What was your mofo moment?

For you Quebexicans, what was your tabernac moment when you realized what I showed you actually worked ??

Bring on the reflections of a super two day clinic? I say super since I laughed myself to a sore throat now. I am sore and hoarse from yelling,"shooter faster!"
    aha moment, soft case in a pelican case - brilliant (especially for the restricted AR10 that has to be locked up).

mofo moment, realizing my excuse of I don't have enought time/space to reload sucks. I'm now looking into reloading. Also, we need a bigger key chain for the range key.

reflections: I had learned to see the trace/swirl at the M14 clinic I did with you a couple years ago but yesterday I was actually able to see almost every single projectile in the air from the 600 yard line. I am also going to switch from my expensive "fancy" scope back to my 3200 elite tactical fixed 10x.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    the only lingering negative effect I have is a tune that I can't get out of my mind - it starts, "The Cabin Boy the Cabin Boy......."
    I'm pretty sure I got that on video while spotting lol