Thread: Tapco 20/5 SKS mag question...

Tapco 20/5 SKS mag question...

Dave (or anyone else) quick question... I bought one of these locally, internally blocked with extended floor plate tongue. I just got one from you (HiCal) and it is pinned with a rivet through the side near the bottom (where it would have no limiting effect that I could figure). Follower only goes down to 5 round limit, so I figure it also has the internal tongue on the floorplate.
    Any idea why the rivet?

BB.
    Bolt B'tard

Possibly to make it harder to pop off the bottom and clip the tongue? just a guess.

Thought the same, but local store here has new stock that just came in without the rivet. Odd.

BB.
    Bolt B'tard

I have had 4 tapco mags and never seen the rivet on the bottom. They come with a plasic limiter inside you have to drill a small hole dead center in the bottom then push a tab inside with a small nail or screw driver and then the bottom slides back for cleaning purposes.

think it holds the floorplate in...

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    think it holds the floorplate in...
    Negative. Floor plate slides in on side rails and bottom plate does same with a spring button to hold it in place.

They are already 5 round compliant (bottom plate has indicator for 5 or 10 round capacity with arrow indicating 5). Adding an extra rivet to keep people from creating a prohibited device is silly, any criminal wanting to do so will not be deterred by a rivet and law abiding citizens will not mess with the 5-round capacity design... but I'm preaching to the choir here. As to drilling the bottom plate so it can be removed for cleaning, this shouldn't be an issue. Other manufacturer's 5-round SKS mags can be taken apart with similar internal limiting design for cleaning with no blanking of bottom plate removal or extra rivets.
    The Tapco bottom plate design (where it cannot be removed) is, I think, done that way for the California compliant 10-round version and to comply with those laws, so they likely kept the same design on the bottom plate for Canada market rather than tooling for a new design, even though removal for cleaning would not impact on legalities here in Canada.

Rivet remains a mystery.

BB.
    Last edited by Bolt B'tard; 02-20-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typos
    Bolt B'tard

We had a shipment returned from customs, due to an unapproved limiting method, they want rivets. You will see rivets in the new mags as a compliant measure........I know.....
    High Caliber Service Corp, Proudly serving the shooting Community since 2008. Canada’s largest assortment of Firearm accessories online & in store, 33154 1st ave, Mission, BC. V2V 1G4

We offer PAL, RPAL & CORE courses for the Fraser valley/ Vancouver area: www.palcore.ca

Call us at 604-BUY-GUNS, (289-4867) or at hical@shaw.ca

Like us on Facebook for all the latest info

SERVICE is our middle name!

Edited- Ok, so this method has worked for how long and suddenly customs isn't happy with it... I call bull#### on them...
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by hical.ca View Post
    We had a shipment returned from customs, due to an unapproved limiting method, they want rivets. You will see rivets in the new mags as a compliant measure........I know.....
    So in other words mail a letter to your MP, minister of public safety and the primeminister that you want them to scrap C-68 and replace it with something that makes sense.