Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: John please don't leave.

CGN frequent flyer
    Don't go John, If only for the entertainment lol, I feel your pain, many customers think that all businesses work like they think it works at there job, order it out of a catalogue and its there in a day or three, then all you have too do is mark it up by a huge amount and shove it out the door LOL.

Uber Super GunNutz
    I haven't dealt with Marstar for a couple of years now, but I dealt with John regularly from the 1980's on up, and even visited his establishment in Vankleek Hill. I always found him to be knowledgeable, honest, and straightforward. I find all the bashing to be rather wearing. But then, I was recently the target of a bashing thread myself because I didn't reply to a PM asking for pictures, (wrong email address sent to me I think), and I had said I wasn't going to put pictures in my ads. I got even a couple of PM's from some clown in SK calling me a stuck-up a**hole, and he wasn't even aware of what the thread was about, and wasn't interested in any of my stuff. When I called him on it, he pm'd back to say that he didn't think people took anything he said on the internet seriously.... ???!!! These armchair warriors are happy to hide behind their handles and call people all sorts of names, and they aren't worth worrying about. I really hope John and Marstar stay on the site--he's brought in more cool stuff and done more to get the shooting sports and milsurps front and centre than most of the dealers here.

Ed in BC
    Member CSSA, NFA, CCFR

"Conversation just kinda dried up, ma'am"
    John Wayne, "The Undefeated"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Davy Crockett's Avatar
    I will refrain from passing judgement but John might consider assigning his online communication to someone else.

Beyond that, I've only had one transaction with Marstar and it was smooth and painless. The true measure of customer service happens when something goes wrong so I never had the opportunity to test it.
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Davy Crockett". Use on this board in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board. Any use outside this forum, in whole or in part, requires my express written consent.

I can understand why he would leave. I'm sure most dealers here see it the same way and are just biting their tongues.

As someone who has worked in customer service you realize there are some idiots out there... you are gonna get them. Don't let it piss you off too much. Some ppl love to complain and expect the moon, they will never be happy with what you do for them. They have to learn they are not special.

I'll toss my hat in the ring and say I had great service from Marstar, great prices, fast shipping, questions answered in a timely manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guns View Post
    I can understand why he would leave. I'm sure most dealers here see it the same way and are just biting their tongues.
    yes but look at marstars negative rep (complaint threads) compared to theirs. I have dealt with a lot of CGN merchants and have had no issues. the one time I had an issue it was dealt with fast and professionally. I have not had the pleasure of dealing with marstar myself so its good to hear everyone speak up about the good dealings. Its just a shame that his personality conflicts with his ability to provide professional courteous service. This is only my opinions based on what posts I have read from marstar not my own dealings. This is the internet age and online business is the future. Your reputation online is very public especially on forums. I read all the good and bad posts about every dealer on here before I decide to spend my money making an online purchase.
    NFA member

If he needs to go, so be it. I've ordered from them in the past and will not hesitate to do so in the future. Hmm, I do kind of want a new black powder revolver.
    " A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have"
    G.F.

Here's the thing.

When I first joined CGN and started browsing intensively, I was pretty astonished by the frankly absurd direction that Marstar threads went. Marstar is like the full moon for CGN. At first, I dove into the threads, entirely guilty of schadenfreude, but I've honestly grown tired of the same bullsh!t. Marstar did this to me, is this how they do business, they didn't reply fast enough, etc etc etc. Yes, John is not the nicest person on here, and yes, there are times where he defers legitimate questions with sarcasm. I can understand John's callousness, even if I don't excuse it.

In the most recent thread, the OP took several weeks to wait for replies. If I place an order and don't hear back within 72 hours, I send a quick "Hi, just curious" email or call. So often, Marstar dogpile threads can be handled by the OP just picking up the phone a bit more or John responding to an idiot like he wasn't as such.

The people who sh!tpost about their bad experience are just making things worse. I have ordered exactly one item from Marstar, a SMLE No.1 Mk.III magazine, which took two weeks to come from Vankleek Hill to Ottawa. Judging by the posts here, I can't tell if this is SOP for Marstar or a fluke. That being said, John, having brought in things which nobody else has seen (although that's died off, really) and managing tens of thousands of customers, is still in business, despite some on CGN believing John and Marstar is Satan incarnate.

I typically don't order from Marstar because they usually don't have the things I like, or if they do, they're out of stock. That being said, if I ever want something Norinco, I'll go to them.

My pointe finale about Marstar staying on CGN- I would have never found out about Marstar were it not for their banner at the top. Same reason why I know about SFRC, One Shot, Trade Ex, Budget Shooter Supply, etc. When I was brand new, I used the frontpage of CGN to find dealers, and Marstar was there.

So, John, if dealing with this forum is the pound of flesh the gun community takes from you, give it freely. I think it gets you more business than it loses.

Surprise, John's just a human being, not some fake-smile wearing HR goon. Some morons complain because their part doesn't come in on time and they feel entitled to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

It'd be an awful shame if you left John, the vast majority of us appreciate what you do for gun owners in Canada.

All criticisms of John aside, if you want to see real goons at work, look at what the police did when they raided Marstar way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by big_boss View Post
    Surprise, John's just a human being, not some fake-smile wearing HR goon. Some morons complain because their part doesn't come in on time and they feel entitled to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

It'd be an awful shame if you left John, the vast majority of us appreciate what you do for gun owners in Canada.