Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Turmoil in Ukraine and prices on SKS and Ammo

Ukraine always was part of Russia and Poland. It never been an independent Country till 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
    Russia has always consider Ukraine as a province of Russia. For decades there has been a Russification policy (from Soviet times) to make Ukraine more Russian. It has succeeded. Look at the blue zones on the map.

There are many issues in Ukraine. Politcal, economic, criminal, and ethnic issues. It is quite corrupt, and at one time was in the top 10 ranking #7. Now I think it is in the top 30 most corrupt.

An elected leader, who has stolen billions from the coffers. I think he did it to himself. He did not need EU or USA help. Lots of negative issues with the government that have been obstacles to the economic well being of this resource rich country.

As stated above, there was nothing romantic about the Soviet era. A brutal and ugly regime of epic proportions, especially under Stalin. The times after that were slightly 'gentler'.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Steiner's Avatar
    True. On and off independence through out it's history. Too bad all the Slavic Brothers could not unite and make one big happy family.

Quote Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
    Russia has always consider Ukraine as a province of Russia. For decades there has been a Russification policy (from Soviet times) to make Ukraine more Russian. It has succeeded.
    You'd actually be surprised. The policy under the bolsheviks was just exactly the opposite: the unkranization of the predominantly Russian territory. The Lenin's theory was that Russian Empire was sort of "jail of nations", and he wanted to destroy anything that had to do with it. Most of the communist leaders in Russia came from Ukraine. Keep in mind that the West knows very little, actually next to nothing about the history of the place, never mind the details. Mostly operating in general cold-war derived cliches. Understandably so, people over there know just as little about what happened with the fist nation people here, or US/Canadian relationships etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kozack View Post
    The only ones who destabilize the region are Russians. Putin can't get over the fact that Ukraine is not in his pocket. I'm sure Putin is the one who encouraged Ukrainian president Yanukovich to supress the protests by any means. Russian imperial intentions are the cause of all this mess.
    You're right, it's in USA's pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Epiplatys View Post
    The whole mess was setup by the neo-facists/zapadency (western Ukrainians) guided by the US for the most part, and to the lesser by the EU. Basically the attitude is "screw the Ukrainians if we can hurt Russians", that's the essence of the conflict - to try to further inflict as much damage to Russia as possible. At the expense of the people of Ukraine. Also consider that there are two parts to the Ukraine in the country to begin with- zapadenci and folks that identify themselves with Russia. This is what we are seeing now in Crimea.
    Thank you

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    The country seems to be on the verge of a civil war.
    Pro-Europe vs Pro-Russia.

If this happens, I wouldn't expect any more surplus guns or ammo to leave the country.
    I think it would most likely be handed out to arm all of the militia groups.

I really hope the Russian army troops being deployed in Crimea are strictly there to cool things off between the two sides.
    Once hell breaks loose, there won't be any stopping it.

No easy fix for Ukraine The 3 countries that assured the Ukraine that its borders would be honoured will be the forces that break it apart. Russian aggression is no different that Nazi aggression just before WW 2. Britain and USA (and Canada because our politicians have killed our proud armed forces) will stand by and watch it happen. The UN will fail and Russia will win this event. My only wish is that the casualties on both sides will be extremely low or none at all. Wow I cannot believe that this type of thing is happening all over again. Shame on Russia for not finding a political answer to their concerns and shame on the rest of the world for standing by and watching it happen. I hope no one gets hurt. The people of the Ukraine both Russian and Ukrainian I hope you all remain safe.

CGN Regular
    as I said before civil wars are always difficult because in civil wars it is brothers who fight brothers.
    Ukrainians and Russians should be uniting together instead of fighting each other.
    Ukraine is the cradle of the Slavic culture it is very sad to see things turning the way they are. I wish it could be different.
    It worries me that not enough people worry!

http://youtu.be/DioQooFIcgE

Quote Originally Posted by dagtaph View Post
    as I said before civil wars are always difficult because in civil wars it is brothers who fight brothers.
    Ukrainians and Russians should be uniting together instead of fighting each other.
    Ukraine is the cradle of the Slavic culture it is very sad to see things turning the way they are. I wish it could be different.
    Ukrainians and Russians and Tatars have been living in Crimea for a long time without incident. Having spent time in Simferopol' during the 90's the only issue was the power struggles of the underworld aka criminals (was quite common to hear gunfire at nights), but never did I witness any ethnic tensions. Tatars and Georgians selling fruit at the markets alongside Ukrainians and Russians, people relaxing on the beaches of Yalta and Alushta. The only change now is that opportunists came out of the woodwork to capitalize on the turmoil.

I don't particularly care how this will affect the price of SKSs or ammo, I care about the needless bloodshed that may yet happen, on both sides. In case anyone forgot, the mandatory military service in both countries is akin to the 'choice' of joining the US military (aka, you're poor).
    Check other started threads for combo deals

Well, let's not forget that Canada participates fairly actively in the conflict basically instigating it and supporting one side. This is partly due to the cold-war mentality, partly due to the western Ukrainian diaspora which established themselves in the country for a long time and also being vocal. While the Eastern Ukrainian and Russian ones being much smaller and traditionally not making themselves heard. The latter is also facing a somewhat uphill battle against the traditional anti-russian stance in the US and Canada.
    But back to the question about the ammo - I don't think there will be any shortage of the ammo supply: the neighbouring countries like Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Belorussia, Russia, Bulgaria, Slovenia and a bunch of others manufacture this type of ammo.