Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910

Thread: Help stock, build the OSTS truck.

CGN Regular
    C'mon... just look how cool this is :P

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FlyingHigh's Avatar
    I have a 2011 GMC Sierra and I use a Delta Champion tool box in the bed for most of my gear storage needs. For some ideas for you, here is what is in my box, from the best of my memory:

- full size axe
    - full size bow saw
    - tire chains and spider bungees for mounting
    - tow rope
    - jumper cables
    - trailer hitch and ball
    - 350pc Stanley tool set (sockets, drivers, wrenches etc)
    - Fast Orange hand cleaner
    - 2 jugs of washer fluid
    - 10x15 tarp
    - 100ft rope
    - Brakleen
    - WD40
    - Tire chocks
    - Shovel
    - Rubber boots
    - Leather work gloves
    - Mechanix gloves
    - Safety glasses
    - Ear plugs
    - Bolt cutters
    - Hack saw

There's some other stuff, but it slips my memory at the moment.

In the cab under the back seat lives a jump kit geared towards my level of EMR first aid training. In winter I add a rubber maid tub with snow pants, parka, gloves, toque, sockets, sweater, granola bars, esbit stove, lighter. I also toss in the full length ice scraper and lightweight snow shovel.

I have kicked around the idea of a canopy with the sliding tool boxes to allowing me use the truck bed as a sleeping area as well. However, if I were to do that, I kind of defeat the purpose of having a pickup truck and should have simply bought an SUV. When I eventually buy a house with storage space, I could see myself buying a canopy and only putting it on for certain trips. As it stands though, having the open box is more beneficial to me.
    Last edited by FlyingHigh; 02-27-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by captain2k_ca View Post
    Frugal as a hutterite on a budget :D

that trophy truck style fender and bumper kit is probably one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.....

CGN Regular
    Some quality walking shoes! With a brand new loaded up ifs 1/2 ton on oversized tires, your gonna need them. I guess if you stick to fire roads and oil leases you might be ok.
    Anyways, looks like you are committed since you already have the Chevy. Rather than wasting your money on a lift kit for the stock garbage that's currently under your truck, take it to a reputable offroad shop in your area and have a solid axle conversion done to the front. Winches front and rear are a must, reciever mounted winches are often unaccessable when your stuck. Have at least a rear locker or selectable locker installed you'll be amazed at how useless a stock 4x4 system is. Also since new trucks are made out of pop cans, have some nerf bar/ running boards made that attach to the frame so that you protect the doors from trees and rocks.
    My personal opinion: you bought a comfortable truck, not a survival truck. When the going gets tough, it will leave you. I don't consider myself a survivalist, but I know vehicles and offroading is in my blood.
    Best truck to use for what your doing would be a 3/4 ton dodge or ford and age doesn't matter. Chevy quit building trucks around 1987 when they started installing car front suspension in them. For modern vehicles there are really only 3 options: dodge power wagon, ford raptor, jeep Rubicon. The power wagon being the top choice for what your doing. Comes lifted with tires, winch, lockers, etc.
    My own survival vehicle won't hold all the gear, but I don't need roads so I can get to the most remote areas if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by purplezuk View Post
    Some quality walking shoes! With a brand new loaded up ifs 1/2 ton on oversized tires, your gonna need them. I guess if you stick to fire roads and oil leases you might be ok.
    Anyways, looks like you are committed since you already have the Chevy. Rather than wasting your money on a lift kit for the stock garbage that's currently under your truck, take it to a reputable offroad shop in your area and have a solid axle conversion done to the front. Winches front and rear are a must, reciever mounted winches are often unaccessable when your stuck. Have at least a rear locker or selectable locker installed you'll be amazed at how useless a stock 4x4 system is. Also since new trucks are made out of pop cans, have some nerf bar/ running boards made that attach to the frame so that you protect the doors from trees and rocks.
    My personal opinion: you bought a comfortable truck, not a survival truck. When the going gets tough, it will leave you. I don't consider myself a survivalist, but I know vehicles and offroading is in my blood.
    Best truck to use for what your doing would be a 3/4 ton dodge or ford and age doesn't matter. Chevy quit building trucks around 1987 when they started installing car front suspension in them. For modern vehicles there are really only 3 options: dodge power wagon, ford raptor, jeep Rubicon. The power wagon being the top choice for what your doing. Comes lifted with tires, winch, lockers, etc.
    My own survival vehicle won't hold all the gear, but I don't need roads so I can get to the most remote areas if need be.

Couldn't agree more about the front solid axle business

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910