Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Help stock, build the OSTS truck.

A Stryker light like you see on the utility company vehicles. Wired joystick in the cab and/or remote that comes with a lifetime battery. I'd substitute a fireman axe for the tomahawk as it would be more useful in a survival situation. And a cell phone booster.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboJones View Post
    If you are off-roading, pioneer tools are a nice to have. Shovel, axe, farm jack, come along (if you don't add a winch)... etc

All of the above should attach nicely to the rack you are installing.
    ^+1 Top list items for offroad ( and other uses) Maybee add a second battery and a 24v system. Electrical Tape,Cable-ties and gearclamps come in handy for quick fixes.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar
    Fire extinguisher. When you need them, you really need them.
    Ahh, I do need that.

Shovel, axe, farm jack, come along
    Will have a shovel in there shortly along with a new jack. I have the hawk which I find easier to store than an ax

Traction aids
    Do have some in the basement, just trying to find a spot on the truck. Will probably go in the bed.

A Hi-Lift jack has a million uses.
    I had one on the farm and liked it a lot, however it can be tempermental as well.

Oh, just remembered solar panels.
    I have a med. sized flexible one right now that will charge all my electronics. Debating a larger one though to mount on the rack/cap.

A winch might be a great advantage on an off road machine.
    Winch is planned for the bumper

I'd substitute a fireman axe for the tomahawk as it would be more useful in a survival situation
    The tomahawk I have is lighter and smaller but will also work for "entry" when needed.

And a cell phone booster.
    Hadn't thought of that.
    Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm

$170 on Amazon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Yogi05's Avatar
    If you're building bumpers anyway, make them from pipe big enough to use as storage.

A hi-lift can slide into a front bumper tube for storage.

I was going to build a pipe style bumper that had air fittings on it. You could pump air into it like a portable air tank, and a fitting would allow you to attach an air hose to fill tires quickly. Limited though.

I had figured out an engine mounted compressor system for my old Dodge diesel with two retired fire extinguishers as air tanks (good to 2500 psi I think they were). A coupler and airline long enough to use air tools for various things. This is a bit bulky for a SHTF type vehicle though and only works if your engine can run.
    You can keep your MP3 and your MP4.....
    I want an MP5 !

Our legal system - guilty until rendered bankrupt

You'll probably want a battery charger with a booster option as well, a decent first aid kit, a kel tec sub 2000 folded up under that back seat with a few drum mags for it...

And if you're wanting to have extra fuel, buy one of those tool boxes/slip tank sets and you're killing two birds with one stone.

BANNED
    ViseGrips, the metalic equivalent of Duct Tape. Oh ya, Duct Tape. The black stuff, Gorilla is the best.

Darren if you are considering a winch, consider a reciever mount, something that can be a rear or front winch. The easiest way out of a suck hole is back the way you came. That mud hole in front may lead to a swamp and pulling yourself forward may get you into more trouble than you want. That 5km walk through a slew back to a guy with a tractor to haul you out can be a ##### in -15. Don't ask how I know that!

For traction stuff, a few sandbags double as weight in the winter and traction aid in the snow and ice. Bumper jacks are great but remember they are called widow makers for a reason!

oh one thing I didn't see that I never leave home without is one of those candle lanterns. I was shocked at how much heat a single candle lantern gave off in a crewcab truck.
    Last edited by Jay T; 02-24-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    JAY
    Only hits count. Make the first shot count.
    Once a PATRICIA always a PATRICIA
    RCEME by trade, PATRICIA by heart

You should put "F#ck'n Eh" on the wrap

Also, a cheap thing I like that I got from princess auto a while ago was a flood light on a magnetic base (plugs into lighter outlet). Great for working on stuff/fixing stuff in the dark or as general purpose lighting for camping.