Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Help stock, build the OSTS truck.

Now this worked for me on my little Suzuki Samurai, however it may be a possibility for you. I had a welder build a mount for my winch that mated directly into my reese hitch, I had a reece hitch mounted front and back, that way I could take the winch off and put it on the back if needed (which more often then not it was easier to winch backward than forward) If you could get a strong enough mount set up for a truck that size it may be something to think about.

I see that Jay T already mentioned this, I'mma tarded.
    Last edited by DangerD; 02-24-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay T View Post
    Darren if you are considering a winch, consider a reciever mount, something that can be a rear or front winch. The easiest way out of a suck hole is back the way you came. That mud hole in front may lead to a swamp and pulling yourself forward may get you into more trouble than you want. That 5km walk through a slew back to a guy with a tractor to haul you out can be a ##### in -15. Don't ask how I know that!

For traction stuff, a few sandbags double as weight in the winter and traction aid in the snow and ice. Bumper jacks are great but remember they are called widow makers for a reason!

oh one thing I didn't see that I never leave home without is one of those candle lanterns. I was shocked at how much heat a single candle lantern gave off in a crewcab truck.
    Reciever mount winches have their place, but it's not offroad. With propper rigging (extra straps, tree savers, snatch blocks) you can recover yourself backwards with a front winch. You could always put a winch on front and back though

How about a 6" lift and some 35's safe to stay around there so you avoid any other work to do to it.

I think it would depend on the job the winch had to do, I doubt they are taking that truck into the shiz to badly, so maybe a reciever mount would be plenty to get them out of the kind of jams they would find themselves in... snowbanks and washouts things like that.

CGN Regular
    You need a Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkw View Post
    You need a Ford.
    A Ford... then he will need all that survival gear right quick....

Quote Originally Posted by jfiddley View Post
    A Ford... then he will need all that survival gear right quick....
    Speaking on experience, this is so effing true, I'm done with Ford once this one dies for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebot-7 View Post
    Oh, just remembered solar panels. I figure it could be extremely handy to have a solar panel trickle-charging a battery pack or two, so that you could top up your devices without needing to drain your truck battery or have the vehicle running.
    Also, if you could buy one of those Earl tablets and demo it for me that would be super
    Good call. If you ever get stuck, you'll be able to keep busy while the Mexican pushes
    Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building.

Chuck Norris can read Lady Gaga's Poker Face.

You can't go wrong with a kukri of some kind. I know you say you have blades and tomahawks allready but when you hold a kukri you feel like nothing can come in your way, not even a 1200 pound grizzly.
    ht tp://www.thekhukurihouse.com/

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar
    $170 on Amazon
    I have one of the Motomaster Nautilus's that I've actually used multiple times on a few vehicles as well as for emergency lighting, boiling kettles, charging electronics.

Any of these systems I highly recommend if there is room in a persons vehicle.

Good call.

a decent first aid kit
    Have a couple, from general purpose to tourniquets/quick clot/gauze etc.

And if you're wanting to have extra fuel, buy one of those tool boxes/slip tank sets and you're killing two birds with one stone.
    I'll have to look at those, good call.

I didn't see that I never leave home without is one of those candle lanterns.
    Got one of the singles. We sell them in the store and I love them!!

Also, a cheap thing I like that I got from princess auto a while ago was a flood light on a magnetic base (plugs into lighter outlet). Great for working on stuff/fixing stuff in the dark or as general purpose lighting for camping.
    Got a few lights, so not sure I could add another or replace one I have.

How about a 6" lift and some 34's safe to stay around there so you avoid any other work to do to it.
    It's up a couple inches with 35's so I think I'm going to stay that way for awhile. (possibly :D)

Here's the updated pic with a bit more organization.

You can't go wrong with a kukri of some kind. I know you say you have blades and tomahawks allready but when you hold a kukri you feel like nothing can come in your way, not even a 1200 pound grizzly.

Here's the hawk

Here's a size comparison pic :D
    Last edited by Farmboy; 02-24-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm