Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR15 heavy buffers

CGN frequent flyer arcticcathonda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrow397 View Post
    Yeah I am new to the AR world, can someone direct the unwashed masses to a source that explains when different weighted buffers should be used? I have a 14.5 inch barrel AR.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=AR15+Buffers+101

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    Can you make 12 oz. + 9mm buffers?
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    Guess I should say thanx.

Un washed masses..................?!?!?!?!
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    What exactly does a buffer do?
    Hey Max

The buffer sits inside the buffer spring which sits in the stock of the rifle and it is what makes the rifle cycle full-auto or in repetition. It sits directly behind the bolt carrier and when a round is fired the gas return throws back the bolt carrier(ejecting the brass along the way)into the buffer, compressing the spring which eventually forces the carrier forward to pick up and chamber another round completing the cycle.

I don't own an AR but I've put a lot of rounds down range with the C7 and my guess is that a heavier buffer would slow down the cycling of the rifle in an attempt to remedy stoppages, but I'm no weapons tech and am curious as well.

Hope that helps.

Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    Thanx Emu paste.

I have read people typing about them all the time on here but never understood what they actually did.

I did follow the Google link that was posted above. So far it looks like a don't need a different one for my purposes, yet.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

Thanx Emu paste.

I have read people typing about them all the time on here but never understood what they actually did.

I did follow the Google link that was posted above. So far it looks like a don't need a different one for my purposes, yet.
    Unless you are having issues or your recoil impulse is incredibly violent, you are likely okay.

Thanx Articcathonda.

As mentioned, why mess with something that works.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

Thanx Articcathonda.

As mentioned, why mess with something that works.
    No worries! As to why mess with something that works.. well some of us just cannot leave it alone unless it is working 110%

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    These run every 1 of our guns well, so do not see any point in making heavier 1s, at least until there is some demand.
    You mention H2 in your original post. Obviously comparisons will be drawn between the two. The weight would be closer to an H buffer.

They look pretty slick. Did you guys change the design from a standard carbine buffer? I guess what I'm trying to ask is why such a discrepancy in weight? Or is there only one tungsten weight in there instead of two?

You should consider selling extra tungsten weights for those that like to experiment. A lot cheaper to swap weights then buy extra buffers.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    I have one of these, and I like it. I would be up for another weight tho. My rifle has lots of gas apparently, as it STILL chucks the empties 8 feet to my 5 oclock. I like that its got lots of gas pressure as I would guess it keeps the system clean, and always cycling.
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast