Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Project Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Rusty Wood Trading Co. Used to stock moon clips and spring kits for these revolvers.
    I think there's a couple of Canadian retailers that have some stock, and you can also get them from TK Custom in the states as a special order. But they are still ~$10-12 each
    Too many toys, too little time ...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    How did you like the 9261 vs 929?

Almost ordered a 9251 for plinking, but had second thoughts as I'm used to the smooth action of the S&W performance center revolvers.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan View Post
    I still really enjoy my Alpha Project 9261 for casual plinking. It's held up just fine for over ~1500 rounds so far. The cost of moon clips turned me off from using it for competition though. They are about $10-12 each when you can find them. Ended up buying a S&W 929 as well to try some steel shooting and maybe USPSA. I got moon clips for it at ~$1.50 each. So buying 100 moon clips to get set up saved me ~$1,000. Yep I used that math to justify buying the 929 lol.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by burnaby View Post
    How did you like the 9261 vs 929?

Almost ordered a 9251 for plinking, but had second thoughts as I'm used to the smooth action of the S&W performance center revolvers.
    Stock, I would say the trigger pull on the 9261 was a little heavier @ ~11.5 lbs vs the 929 @ 10.5lbs and pretty comparable in smoothness. I was actually a little dissapointed by the 929, I had expected a Performance Center gun to have a better trigger, but I guess I'm spoiled with a 625 that had a great trigger job.

I put in reduced power spring kits in both the 9261 and the 929, and did a quick polish on the moving trigger parts which improved both greatly, although still not quite as good as my 625. The Alpha Project uses a coiled main spring, so it's tougher to fine tune, whereas there are a lot of tips and tricks for tuning the S&W N frame trigger.

Personally, I prefer the size and weight of the 9261. The 929 is a big hunk of metal - even with the titanium cylinder. If I could get access to bulk moon clips for the 9261, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for IPSC, but I'll go with my 625 for now. The 8 shot capacity of the 929 would be an advantage for steel shoots and USPSA so definitely going to try using it there.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    ^^^ Thanks for the info. Still don't get why an econ gun would have such crazy accessory prices. Are they confusing themselves with SAKO.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by burnaby View Post
    ^^^ Thanks for the info. Still don't get why an econ gun would have such crazy accessory prices. Are they confusing themselves with SAKO.
    I think it's just a volume thing. Companies like Revolver Supply Co tooled up and produced moon clips for the more popular revolvers in large volumes. Project Alpha is just not well known yet so if they do produce moon clips for them, it's in very low volumes. For example the S&W 625 is well established so I can buy those moon clips for about $1 each.

Does anyone still stock the reduced spring kits for these revolvers. I got onto the alphaproj train a little late so missed out on Rusty Woods spring kits. Bought one in 9mm and it's a lot of fun but the DA is pretty brutal and I shoot a lot of DAO. Might pick one up in .22 lr as well.
    "One shot is what it is all about. A deer has to be taken with one shot," Michael Vronsky The Deer Hunter

I tried this one on my .357 and I found it rubbed on the black synthetic grip on mine wouldn't line up. I grinned it down a bit on one side,

Quote Originally Posted by JetCocked View Post
    The speed loaders that I use for the 357 model are the HKS 586-a
    NFA Member

Expired Business Member
    mcpiper
    We have a few left of the reduced power spring kits. Found a few in a box in the back.
    Just email us an order or fill out our order form on our sight www.rustywood.ca

They make a decent entry level revolver, couple hundred cheaper than a Ruger or S&W, haven't had any issues with my 3561, but the double action trigger pull isn't going to compare to what you get out of the box for a bit more.

Metro Vancouver - if you use EE at least leave your province here!
    Quote Originally Posted by stac50bmg View Post
    hi

i have the 22lr and the 357 mag

very good revolver in a nice case.

I bought mine from wolverine but i bought my .45acp from canam

speedloader are available form 5 stars in the usa. 10 rounds for the 22lr and 6 for the 357

i have some and superb quality
    .45acp???

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast