Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 31315161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Arms - Class action lawsuit

Now that is what we need!!! Hope it happens.
    "Life is too short to suffer fools".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemanknight View Post
    My MP Larry Miller did this....

Miller Seconds M-452-Firearms Act

Ottawa, ON – Recently, Larry Miller, MP for Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound, seconded M-452, a motion put forward in the House of Commons by Cheryl Gallant, MP for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, that deals with firearms reclassifications and various reforms to firearms regulation.

M-452 would amend Sections 117, 118 and 119 of the Firearms Act to establish a “Firearms Experts Technical Committee with the goal of restoring public confidence in the functions and operations of the Canadian Firearms Registration System. This committee would be permanent and would oversee such things as firearms reclassifications and would have regulatory powers with regards to the safe handling of firearms.

Essentially, M-452 would remove the responsibility from the RCMP for classifying categories of firearms and place this responsibility within the scope of the duties of the Firearms Experts Technical Committee. The committee would be composed of the following members: 1) RCMP, 2) Ontario Forensic Centre, 3) four individuals appointed to the committee as civilian firearms experts. Furthermore, M-452 would place a moratorium on firearms reclassification until the permanent committee is in place.

“Having a safe, fair and transparent firearms registration system is a top priority for law-abiding hunters, anglers and sportsmen and indeed all Canadians,” said Miller. “This motion will end the arbitrary reclassification of firearms and will establish a committee that oversees firearms registration in an open and transparent fashion and that operates with direct civilian oversight.”
    This could be good or at least a good start!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

They scraped the LGR and the Libs didn't like it and didn't want them to do it. But it happened! and the same could be done with C-68

So write those letters every week, say in them that your vote depends on how they deal with this mess!

I don't think we should compromise.... Not one inch. When I was younger (the last time this crap happened on '92) I though its not so bad. At least I got grandfathered. Now looking at the bigger picture and a whole lot more experience behind me and a better understanding of our convoluted FA its just a constant erosion of our firearms hobby and personal freedoms.
    Demand they repeal c-68
    Enjoying your freedom? Thank A Soldier !!!

You say nobody needs an AR15? Well nobody needs a whiny little b*tch either yet here you are!

I agree wholeheartedly Boomer. This is a time to press for real change and not accept a band aid. If the Conservatives had scrapped the Firearms Act instead of just the LGR they likely would not have spent anymore political currency in doing so. I don't know if the Conservatives will actually do what is needed to be done but I damn sure plan on writing my letters to try to force the issue.
    "A man is only as good as his word"

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer686 View Post
    I don't think we should compromise.... Not one inch. When I was younger (the last time this crap happened on '92) I though its not so bad. At least I got grandfathered. Now looking at the bigger picture and a whole lot more experience behind me and a better understanding of our convoluted FA its just a constant erosion of our firearms hobby and personal freedoms.
    Demand they repeal c-68

I don't think we should compromise either. But better to support these smaller initiatives which stand a much better chance of passing, AND demand bill c-68 scrapped, then to simply demand c68 scrapped alone.

Quote Originally Posted by RayHill View Post
    They scraped the LGR and the Libs didn't like it and didn't want them to do it. But it happened! and the same could be done with C-68

So write those letters every week, say in them that your vote depends on how they deal with this mess!
    This is the most important part - keeping up the pressure. Already a week later the threads about this are falling off the main page of the Gun Nutz Site. We need to sustain pushing on this.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYLNZ View Post
    I don't think we should compromise either. But better to support these smaller initiatives which stand a much better chance of passing, AND demand bill c-68 scrapped, then to simply demand c68 scrapped alone.

This is the most important part - keeping up the pressure. Already a week later the threads about this are falling off the main page of the Gun Nutz Site. We need to sustain pushing on this.
    By asking for the smaller initiatives they might get the impression that those would be acceptable compromises and abandon the idea of scrapping C68. What we'll end up with is a patch job on the current firearms act and it will eventually be abused again.

No, it must stop now. Together we can demand and reasonably achieve the complete elimination of the firearms act. WE CAN DO IT, but only together.

“Having a safe, fair and transparent firearms registration system is a top priority for law-abiding hunters, anglers and sportsmen and indeed all Canadians,”

NO!!! we don't need this stuff again
    Repeal c-68!!!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyCuda View Post
    By asking for the smaller initiatives they might get the impression that those would be acceptable compromises and abandon the idea of scrapping C68. What we'll end up with is a patch job on the current firearms act and it will eventually be abused again.

No, it must stop now. Together we can demand and reasonably achieve the complete elimination of the firearms act. WE CAN DO IT, but only together.
    We have to realize the political climate we are in, and fight smartly. The majority of Canadians are not likely to see things our way yet. The Conservatives are not polling well, and it is far too close to an election for any sane party to suddenly roll out anything as polarizing as the scrapping of C68. Remember the Long Gun Registry - the Conservatives tried to scrap it for years, with years of preparation, and when they finally got a majority government it still took them a year to get rid of it, I think a year and a half if you include Quebec. When the Firearms Advisory Committee, put out their recommendations, Harper agreed with then Liberal Leader Bob Rae, and said the Committee needed to rethink its position. Several months later, three civilian members were kicked off the committee, replaced by two police chiefs and a police association president. As I said, the conservatives are not doing so well these days. They need to worry about holding on to power, and getting seats in Ontario and Quebec next election.

I'm not trying to be discouraging. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't let your MP and the PMO's office know that your vote and support are contingent on a scrapping or complete rewrite of the firearms act - you should! What I'm saying is, we should fight this tooth and claw with everything we have at our disposal, and that includes the small initiatives. Maybe we can get the Conservatives to promise to scrap bill C68 before the next election. But we shouldn't put all our fight into one long shot, especially when some MPs are already trying to get us some smaller, but more plausible change. We've done well in some regards, exploiting the flaws in the firearms act to our advantage. If we can get the RCMP out of the firearms classification business, get name of firearm and barrel lengths dropped as a criteria for classification, we can achieve huge gains working within this flawed legislation, which for the time being is much more achievable than trying to get it scrapped or completely overhauled.

Fight for a both rewrite of the firearms act AND for the smaller gains in the meantime, not one or the other.

im not liking how fast this is dropping off the main paige... common guys...... im i crazy to think we should have some political threads "sticky'd" on the home page for a bit.... not trying to force it..... just strongly encouraged haha