Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pricing

CGN Ultra frequent flyer berger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonythebeast View Post
    a) Canadian dollar isn't strong
    b) you don't buy from epps, you look at their stock and then go elsewhere to make a purchase, everything is overpriced as hell there
    They had the "cheapest" XCR and M&P9 Range Kit when I bought last year. And I checked all the locals and vendors. Shipping was fast too. Just my experience.
    Prost!

Berger

Quote Originally Posted by berger View Post
    They had the "cheapest" XCR and M&P9 Range Kit when I bought last year. And I checked all the locals and vendors. Shipping was fast too. Just my experience.
    I agree, I find their prices on a lot of items are reasonable. The one thing about Epps is that they WILL match any price in order to get your business which, as far as I'm concerned, is great.
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

Again????

Well there they go again. Epps has once more jacked up their prices on existing stock. A new Glock Gen4 that cost $736 is now a whooping $804. That's one hell of an increase in less than 2 months.

CGN frequent flyer
    Kidcom you have a personal beef with Elwood epps? If you don't like the prices you can shop elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    Well there they go again. Epps has once more jacked up their prices on existing stock. A new Glock Gen4 that cost $736 is now a whooping $804. That's one hell of an increase in less than 2 months.
    It's called a "market increase", Kidcom. Prices fluctuate with the value of the dollar and the cost to bring products to market. Do you launch a thread every time Wal-Mart raises the price on diapers they already have in stock? Or when gasoline prices rise, despite the fact that gasoline is already in the station's tanks?

We live in a market economy. That means the stock holders dictate the prices on consumable items we buy and sell. This is not a new concept, nor is it limited to Ellwood Epps only.

Best get used to it, my friend.

In the mean time, if you take a few moments to shop around, you will likely find that most retailers have also raised their prices according to new distribution costs, not just Epps. But as always, if you are able to find the exact same item in stock at another retailer, and if we can verify availability on that product at a lower price, we will match that competitor's pricing.

But by all means, please continue to point out our price levels on our inventory. We will gladly defend those prices, since they are, for the most part at least, the same as or better than the majority of our competitors.
    If gun owners in this country were truly a threat, do you really think our politicians would have lasted this long??

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier .45 View Post
    It's called a "market increase", Kidcom. Prices fluctuate with the value of the dollar and the cost to bring products to market. Do you launch a thread every time Wal-Mart raises the price on diapers they already have in stock? Or when gasoline prices rise, despite the fact that gasoline is already in the station's tanks?

We live in a market economy. That means the stock holders dictate the prices on consumable items we buy and sell. This is not a new concept, nor is it limited to Ellwood Epps only.

Best get used to it, my friend.

In the mean time, if you take a few moments to shop around, you will likely find that most retailers have also raised their prices according to new distribution costs, not just Epps. But as always, if you are able to find the exact same item in stock at another retailer, and if we can verify availability on that product at a lower price, we will match that competitor's pricing.

But by all means, please continue to point out our price levels on our inventory. We will gladly defend those prices, since they are, for the most part at least, the same as or better than the majority of our competitors.
    WOW I've even got Mr. Noob_ on my case in defense of Ellwood Epps and the gang up north. First of all, Wally Mart isn't in the habit of raising prices, they're always LOWERING their prices. I think it's called a "Market Decrease". It's interesting to note that these "Market Increases" are limited only to certain firearms. I've noted that some high end firearms, such as H&Ks that have been up for sale for over two years, haven't increased in price at all. Then you take your very popular cheaper items such as Gaston Glock's stuff.... well it has gone through the roof. It amazing to me how these "Market Increases" seem to be limited in their application. Caveat Emptor ........

BANNED
    It is a private for profit business , prices go up and down in all for profit businesses........it is just supply and demand . The greater the demand of a low supply item , the higher the price.....the free enterprise system at work.....Businesses are free to charge any price they want to make max. profit , and consumers are free to shop around and get the best price possiable.....

Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    WOW I've even got Mr. Noob_ on my case in defense of Ellwood Epps and the gang up north. First of all, Wally Mart isn't in the habit of raising prices, they're always LOWERING their prices. I think it's called a "Market Decrease". It's interesting to note that these "Market Increases" are limited only to certain firearms. I've noted that some high end firearms, such as H&Ks that have been up for sale for over two years, haven't increased in price at all. Then you take your very popular cheaper items such as Gaston Glock's stuff.... well it has gone through the roof. It amazing to me how these "Market Increases" seem to be limited in their application. Caveat Emptor ........

Well then you've got all the answers right there! :-)

Of course there is the possibility (and I'm just spit-balling here, right?) that the distributors raise those prices, forcing us to do the same. If you read my previous response on this matter, you will learn about a thing called Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP). This is the lowest price at which an item is permitted to be sold by a retailer once they enter into a licensed agreement to carry that product from a given distributor.

When Winchester raises their prices on ammunition, guess what, our prices go up as well. That's ALL Winchester ammunition, whether in stock at the time of the price increase or otherwise. The same holds true for Mr Glock's pistols, for H&K firearms, for SIG Sauer, Beretta, Colt, CZ, and every other product we carry in our store. If the distributor does not increase the price, why would we do so? To use your example, H&K firearms have not seen a significant price increase in 18+ months, thus their prices have remained stable. SIG Sauer, on the other hand, changed distributors in mid-2012, with the new distributor providing a lower base price, thus allowing us to drop the price on a P.226 pistol from $1,175.00 at this time last year to $1,046.27 this year.

Funny how nobody ever starts a thread to complain when prices drop. . . .

Like Gunexpert007 says, you are always welcome to shop around for a better deal if you don't like the prices we have on our products, but I think you will find (and I believe I have already stated this as well), that our prices are usually as good as or better than most of our competitors.

And not to put too fine a point on this whole conversation, but Wal-Mart does indeed increase their prices from time to time as the market fluctuates. Windshield wipers for the Ford Edge increased this year over last year's price by more than $2.00 per unit. Rougemont apple juice was rolled back to $1.98 about 4 weeks ago, only to rise back up to $2.47 when I bought a bottle yesterday afternoon. 2% milk was $4.29, then reduced to $3.99 before returning to $4.19. Currently it is back to $3.99 again.

This is the law of a market economy. Call it Increase or Decrease as you see fit, but the rule still applies. Demand drives price, and retailers are caught at the short end of the pointy stick when it comes to playing the front line role before customers.
    If gun owners in this country were truly a threat, do you really think our politicians would have lasted this long??

Personally I prefer buying there where they have the lowest price advertised instead of going to a retailer that price matches to get it for the same price. That way you reward the business that is willing to put the lowest price out there. My 0.02 ct.

Quote Originally Posted by bertn View Post
    Personally I prefer buying there where they have the lowest price advertised instead of going to a retailer that price matches to get it for the same price. That way you reward the business that is willing to put the lowest price out there. My 0.02 ct.
    And you are well within your right to do so. However many customers prefer to deal with stores and staff with which they already have established retailer/customer relations. As well, some stores work on a "lost leader" platform where they are willing to take a loss on a large ticket item so that they can make up the difference with additional smaller ticket items tacked onto the sale (ie: magazines, ammunition, holsters, etc).

We try to keep our prices as low as we are able, and as stable as possible, barring any unforeseen increases from our distributors, as already discussed. However we cannot always guarantee that Company X has not found a better bargain on a given product thereby allowing them to list that item at a better price than we have managed, and for that reason we keep the option of price-matching available wherever possible.

In the end, though, it is the buyer's decision where to spend their money. If a better deal is to be had elsewhere, you have every right to seek it out and take advantage of that deal whenever possible. But you might want to consider what sort of deal we can put together for a similar purchase before making any final decision one way or the other.

That's why they call it "shopping"!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast