Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pricing

I forgot to mention to Mr. Noob_ that I don't have a beef with Ellwood Epps. I do have a beef with their pricing methods, which any customer has a right to. Bottom line here is they're a business out to make money like any other business. They wouldn't be in business for very long if they didn't. I'm entitled to rant as much as I like about a company's business practices. I think with a lot of their items, they've over priced them. However, this doesn't mean I won't do business with them in the future. I like visiting the store whenever I get a chance. Heck I even get a real kick watching Harrier .45 in action dealing with customers. One thing is for certain, he definitely knows his stuff.......
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

CGN Ultra frequent flyer andrew3081's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukinfutch View Post
    Sounds logical, but it is not. I don't know about you, but when our dollar went from 60 cents to par, I did not notice firearms or anything else for that matter go down 40%. The slumping dollar is just another excuse to screw the Canadian consumer. That excuse just doesn't fly.
    Goods dont drop in price, they just say at the same price longer.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier .45 View Post
    The majority of Canadian distributors in the firearms industry use what is called Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP) for their products. In order for retailers to carry that line of goods, they must agree to retail those products no lower than the MAP. This includes all products in that line, whether new or old stock.

The same holds true with gasoline prices. When oil prices rise, so too do prices at the pump, regardless of whether the gasoline being sold was already in the ground tanks or not.

With regard to the fluctuation of prices when the Canadian Dollar is stronger, this is also reflected in the MAP pricing when available. Smith & Wesson M&P pistols, for example, weer $699.00, but were reduced to $650.00 when the Dollar rose to near-par with the US greenback. But as the Canadian Dollar falters, and as import costs, duties and taxes increase accordingly, distributors cannot be expected to absorb those fees, and must pass those costs on to the end consumer if they are to continue to carry those products for distribution. Unfortunately, this means that the end retail price must increase, which brings the vicious circle full-cycle back to the consumer's wallet.

Believe me when I tell you that we here at Epps are not pleased with any pricing increases we are forced to apply to our inventory. We, like yourselves, are gun owners and gun buyers, and we, too, loathe the days when we are forced to hand out more money for a product that was less expensive only 24 hours ago.

Please keep in mind, however, that Ellwood Epps does maintain a price-matching policy. If a competing retailer does carry the exact same model IN STOCK at a lower price, we will match that price upon confirmation with that retailer.

In the mean time, let's hope the Canadian Dollar regains some of its strength, and our distributors' prices begin to come down once more.
    Usually your MAP agreement will be tied to your pricing for that period. Many suppliers only update their pricing once of twice a year, and a lot of the bigger companies that deal with Canadian or international companies have a MAP agreement in that currency.

It would be unlikely that all of your distributors would change their MAP pricing because of an exchange rate that they don't deal in themselves.

There would be no reason that you would import 50 widgets for $100 each from the US, and then 4 months later having to raise your prices because you're still paying $100 for widgets from the US, and the MAP is still the same.

It seems that they are raising their prices either because their software prices in US and converts to Canadian, or they did it to allow them to purchase their stock from the US without taking a hit (making the customer pay the difference on the back end for future purchases.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123