Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 7.62 x 39 bolt action rifle

I would still like to see this in a cheaper rifle. I have heard good things about the savage Axis for example, nothing really negative other than from eliteists. If I could buy a rifle for $400 dollars that I could hunt deer with and then shoot targets or varmints for near rimfire cost, actually cheaper than 17 hmr I would consider that a win/win situation. I am not going to spend $800 though when I do already have my rifles for hunting and my other rifles I use for fun and plinking.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bad4u2 View Post
    Why? Is your sole purpose for owning a 7.62x39mm bolt gun just to shoot cheap surplus ammo? If that's the only redeeming quality this cartridge has in your eyes, just buy a SKS and be done with it.
    No, not entirely, it's not all about the cost of the ammunition. There are a few reasons. One, it's generally more accurate (precise?) (using sks as an example, I have 2 by the way), if not because of the action/barrel, because of the ability to mount proper and reliable optics, without turning a $200 rifle into a $400 rifle that's less capable/reliable than in its original configuration (most mounts and precision optics prevent stripper loading). Yes, the 7.62x39 cartridge is a deer legal caliber, non-corrsive, non-surplus is still less than half the cost of .308 win, and is more than good enough for 200 yd which is not only the max distance at my local range, but also further than I need to hunt medium game, which makes it an excellent candidate for my next rifle purchase. I have a fair bit of non-surplus, because my 1950 tula non-refurb eats only Hornady SST, so it would be convenient to have a common cartridge in case of ammo shortage, crashing economy, etc. my 54 refurb gets the Czech special I have stockpiled (lol). The problem is if I'm going to spend $800 on a rifle, and several hundred more on optics and mounting, I may as well pick up something else, because I won't be saving much on ammunition in either case, cause i'll only need 1 range trip plus 1 bullet per year. Might as well go big (cartridge). If a decent x39 bolt action rifle was made in the $4-500 range it would ideal for a lot of people, with optics would be even better. I get that 7.62x39 gets less credit than it's earned, but for an $800 rifle with no optics, you ARE getting less for the same price, no matter how you look at it. Especially when you can get a savage 111 in 30-06, with optics (surely not ideal, but probably good enough to take a deer at 200), for $500.

Just an FYI, these bolt guns don't like surplus ammunition, the lacquer sticks in the chamber like glue. I have an AIA in 7.62x39, just wont shoot surplus, normal factory, extracts, everything fine.
    “All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party.” – Mao Zedong

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmGunGuy View Post
    Thanks, sorry but I may have gotten the last one at Reliable.
    I didn't see the post about P&D being cheaper until after I had bought from Reliable.
    Reliable still has the Savage Arms 10 FCM Scout Bolt Action Rifle - 7.62x39mm, 20.5 if anyone else needs that caliber.
    savage has the wrong bore size, it should be a .311 not a .308
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

buy the axis in 308 and make your own rounds. 0.25/rd
    or use a chamber insert for 308 to 7.62x39 conversion. like from mcace.com/adapters.htm also 0.25/rd

I've got a Savage 10FCM in 7.62x39. It will shoot 1" groups with surplus where as my Sks will struggle to get 6" with the same stuff.

The receivers are threaded as well so should throat erosion occur it's a pretty easy swap to a new one. I don't think I will ever shoot out the barrel though. They use a great carbon steel in its construction, you just have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's cleaned thoroughly and kept well oiled while in storage.

hi i was wondering if the cz 527 is available with a left hand bolt in 7.62x39
    Last edited by scobro61; 03-25-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234