Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spare non-restricted tavor barrels

Oh,'figured it would be too good to be true. Thanks

i am a US citizen, working here in Canada as a permanent resident. i have a restricted PAL, and have already registered and imported several of my restricted US guns.. (all by the book of course).

I own a US Tavor SAR-21 with a 16" barrel (in the US). The Canadian 18.5" barrel will fit my SAR-21, (talked to several experts about it). I want to buy an 18.5" Canadian barrel, take it with me to the states, install it myself there, and bring it back to Canada as an NR gun.

I realize that when i call the CFO to make sure that this is a NR configuration, that it may not yet be in the firearms table. In that case, I would likely need to hand it over to the CFO be examined, approved, (hopefully), and placed on the firearms table as an NR configuration before officially importing it as a NR gun... obviously a hassle.

Does any body have any experience with this?
    Can any body point me in the right direction to get help/advice with this?

The payoff for going through all the trouble is worth it to me..,
    having such a great rifle non restricted, (and also having the spare 16" barrel, which of course would remain in the states).

last but not least: where can i get a spare 18.5" Tavor barrel near south western British Columbia?
    Last edited by USTransplant; 02-14-2015 at 05:07 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USTransplant View Post
    i am a US citizen, working here in Canada as a permanent resident. i have a restricted PAL, and have already registered and imported several of my restricted US guns.. (all by the book of course).

I own a US Tavor SAR-21 with a 16" barrel (in the US). The Canadian 18.5" barrel will fit my SAR-21, (talked to several experts about it). I want to buy an 18.5" Canadian barrel, take it with me to the states, install it myself there, and bring it back to Canada as an NR gun.

I realize that when i call the CFO to make sure that this is a NR configuration, that it may not yet be in the firearms table. In that case, I would likely need to hand it over to the CFO be examined, approved, (hopefully), and placed on the firearms table as an NR configuration before officially importing it as a NR gun... obviously a hassle.

Does any body have any experience with this?
    Can any body point me in the right direction to get help/advice with this?

The payoff for going through all the trouble is worth it to me..,
    having such a great rifle non restricted, (and also having the spare 16" barrel, which of course would remain in the states).

last but not least: where can i get a spare 18.5" Tavor barrel near south western British Columbia?
    Hey man, Welcome to Canada and our goofy firearms laws!

At this time there is NO FRT for the US Sar-21 varient, however IRUNGUNS submitted photos and appropriate documents to prove it is a semi-auto only variant in attempt to obtain a restricted status due to barrel length. The RCMP then requested that IRUNGUNS submit a sample for review because they determined it wasn't enough info to make a decision. That sample was submitted 2 years ago and we are still waiting to hear back from the RCMP classification team. At this time they still have no ETA.

I have been pursuing spare Tavor Barrels of any sort and can not find any in the 2.5 years I have been looking. (See sig line and really old ee ad)

I think the only thing you might be able to do is import it as a restricted when it gets an FRT and then send it to Herron Arms for a Non-Restricted conversion.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    So I just got off the phone with Jon of North Sylva, he has stated that for him to bring in a production run of barrels he would need an order of probably 100 barrels to make it feasible for him to plunk down this kind of cash.

He has said the cost of a new barrel will run in the area of $450 a piece as it would contain a new gas system (likely to change with our dollar).

NR barrels can be shipped to you and installed by you, CTAR barrels on the other hand, must be installed by Jon as to guarantee the gun gets registered as per law (many people think you can take it to the range, change to a CTAR, play around, change it back and it is "all good").

He doesn't want to open up a can of worms for the Tavor in light of recent events. This is understandable in the most obvious way.

Jon figures it will be time to start bringing in replacement barrels next year sometime.
    Thank you for letting us know. I am ready to buy at least 2 NR barrels. The sooner it arrives the better for me. I have shot over 12,000 rd through my Gen 1 barrel, and I figure it is ready to key hole any day now.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    While they are at it how about some 18.5" 9mm conversion units. US versions are already 17" so it shouldn't be hard to do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123