Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello all. I have a favour to ask

Quote Originally Posted by 3strokes View Post
    never mind that it was out of your hands for only a few seconds and that an ant colony did not have time to build an anthill in the barrel.
    lol
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by ironllama View Post
    Thanks relic. I noticed your location and I too am in Barrie. Im looking to join the Collingwood gun club if all goes to plan. Barrie gun club would be too expensive I think as I only plan to target shoot once in a while. Have you been to the Collingwood range?
    I took my course at The Wolf's Den, was happy with the course and instructors.
    I like the guys in the store, real friendly and helpful, answered my questions. Lots of bows and an awesome archery range out back.
    I looked at Barrie Gun club as well as ORA for outdoor competition shooting at Mons (Borden). Collingwood is too far for me (I'm south of Barrie), never been either.
    "Howdy! I'm a Cowboy! BANG! BANG! B-B-B-BANG! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Bullet Bullet Gun! -- Emmet Brickowoski
    Member:

For the practical - some things that caught out some folks on my course (including me on one)
    - TAKE YOUR TIME - lots of people wanted to be really efficient, ended up rushing, and screwed something up. Slow down and be deliberate.

- WATCH YOUR BODY POSITION - more important for the RPAL, but it is easy to point in the wrong direction while checking the caliber markings - move your body, not your arm! I screwed this up in the RPAL, when I tilted the firearm in order to read the caliber. Lost some points.

- ANY TIME THE FIREARM LEAVES YOUR HANDS IT IS "LIVE" - if they do a fence-crossing, you need to ACTS and PROVES on both sides of the "fence", since the gun left your hands. Anytime you put it down and then pick it up again, ACTS and PROVES. This was the biggest thing that most people lost points on. When in doubt, ACTS and PROVES. If you do it even if you didn't have to, you don't lose points.

- YOU CAN "DO OVER" - if you communicate. An example illustrates this principle best - - doing ACTS and PROVES on a lever action, the first step is normally to push the loading gate out of the way to inspect the tube mag. On some rifles, you cannot do that once you rack the lever to open the action. In a rush, I picked up the lever action, racked the lever, and despite knowing my mistake and even articulating it, I just went on (essentially failing the ACTS and PROVES for that part of the test). The right approach given that error is to say "Oh, I wanted to check the tube mag but now I opened the action, so I will start over to ACTS and PROVES". Most instructors will accept this, and no points lost.

Everyone in our course passed, including some folks that weren't as attentive as they should be. Still, better to get 100%. Losing those points on the lever action ACTS-PROVES still grinds me today.

Good luck!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    but it is easy to point in the wrong direction while checking the caliber markings - move your body, not your arm!

On some rifles, you cannot do that once you rack the lever to open the action.
    Thank you for that info! Based on what you said, here are two ways I might try checking the data stamp in a way where I dont tilt it up or away from the safe direction:

-rest the butt on the floor while leaning the barrel toward the safe direction, then walk around it while holding it with one hand, and pick it up again so I am near the data stamp?
    OR
    -rest it on the floor with action open, walk around it, prove it again when I pick it up and check the data stamp?

And thanks for that tidbit about the lever-action. I will check the mag first before cocking the lever.

Thanks guys. Always hated exams so i tend to worry a bit too much lol
    Same here, tests have always given me super anxiety ever since I was a kid in school. I always worry that when the test starts my mind will go blank for some reason. Some people are better at written, some at practical. I am not a very good test taker in my eyes but scored in the high 90's (can't remember the exact score) on both tests and practicals. Firearms have not been a big part of my life either, I have shot quite a few though but was lacking in the other areas. Make sure you pay attention to your instructor, they will generally tell you what parts are important and are more that likely on the test. The only couple questions I got wrong were ones I knew but did not read the question completely or thoroughly and jumped into answering. You will be fine.

CGN Regular
    Hi all.

I am wondering about the following:

-could all the answers to the exam questions be found in the CFSC manual and in the course instruction?
    -is the practical part done in front of the class? (I have bad nerves!)
    -what particular questions did you find hard (if you can remember)?

Eric
    from my tests:
    -All questions come from the manual (make sure you know A.C.T.S. and P.R.O.V.E)
    - Practical test was done in a seperate room with instructor only.... (finger off the trigger, don't point it at them)
    -None of the questions were hard, best way to prep for it is go to the range with a licensed friend and get him to go over proper handling prior to going... this will make the practical part a lot easier, and will help a bit with the written part.
    My posts are my views, don't be offended if they do not match. I also do not allow anyone to quote, or state my views (as my views) without my direct permission.
    Я хочу винтовку

BANNED
    That'd be finger out of the trigger guard. Think in terms of common sense.
    Doesn't make much sense to drive to Collingwood if you live in Barrie. Cost you a fortune in gas. You could look into the CFB Borden Rod and Gun. I believe they still take civilians. Do 8 hours of conservation work per year gets you into the draw for an on base deer hunting permit too. Very big deer living on base. Shotguns only as I recall.
    Crossing a fence is part of the Hunter's Safety test.

The course is easy. No need to get nervous about it. The instructors run these courses with all intent for you to pass. What's hard is learning about the sport of shooting there after... A lot of conflicting opinions, egos, and assorted marketing buzzwords out there. This forum is a great place to ask your newbie questions and get a feel for it, which can do wonders making up for a lack of practical experience.

Good luck, and have fun!
    "In a free society, we shouldn't need permission to do whatever we want."

CGN Regular
    Thanks all for the sound advice. Glad I joined this forum

CGN Regular
    Thanks all for the sound advice. Glad I joined this forum
    I can't really add much that hasn't already been added but I just wanted to say you will do fine at the course. I too tend to be a bit of a worryer when it comes to exams or performing practical exams infront of others but it turned out fine.

As long as you read the manual carefully, follow all the rules, and really drill yourself on the ACTS and PROVE (so never pointing the firearm in an unsafe position, keeping finger out of the trigger guard and always perform PROVE everytime the firearm leaves your hands) you should be fine.

As others have said be a bit more cautious with the RPAL if you go for it as it is a lot easier to accidentally point a handgun somewhere unsafe then it is to do with a full length rifle.

Good luck and have fun learning! This forum is a great place to ask these kinds of questions so post frequently.
    Signature Under Construction
    Please Check Back Soon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast