Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello all. I have a favour to ask

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by ironllama View Post
    Thank you for that info! Based on what you said, here are two ways I might try checking the data stamp in a way where I dont tilt it up or away from the safe direction:

-rest the butt on the floor while leaning the barrel toward the safe direction, then walk around it while holding it with one hand, and pick it up again so I am near the data stamp?
    OR
    -rest it on the floor with action open, walk around it, prove it again when I pick it up and check the data stamp?
    No. What you should do is simply ask the instructors the best way to approach this.You're not challenging the course so the instruction part is the time to find out for sure. Geraldo made a very good point in advising you of the body position consideration. It applies to restricted firearms (i.e. handguns, much easier to wave around inadvertently ) so getting the floor involved is not exactly practical. There is a pretty easy concept to it but not explained well in text. Ask the instructors.They will demonstrate clearly for you.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxdj View Post
    Burn ACTS & PROVE into your brain till it's automatic..
    ^^^ This

And i've never read the book went there listened carefully passed the test it's just common sense, no trick questions. And the practical is done in a separate room. Just remember to handle any gun that is given to you (that you handle) like a loaded firearm, even if you know it's not. Burn that in your mind as well and you're all good ACTS and PROVE always

It is super easy. Most people in my class had never even cracked the book to take a peek prior to the classroom. There are no surprise questions, no trick questions. The instructors are pretty good at hinting at strange worded questions that tend to trip people up.

As for the practical. You will most likely all form a semi circle around the instructor as he goes through how to clear each rifle example. pay attention and ask questions. then everyone will have a bit of time to practice with each....make sure you get in there. the more you handle each one and get comfortable the less likely you are to forget what to do. After that everyone leaves the room and you are called in one by one.

You will do fine. get sleep, eat and don't drink too much caffeine to make you jittery. The worst part is waiting 4 months to get the PAL in the mail! after mailing it in wait about 2 weeks, then count out 45 days. After that call every week, no joke. If you don't, it ends up in a pile and you will wait a long long time.
    If there isnt a way already made I will make one
    Joel Schmidt

As everybody else said. Both the written and the practical are easy. However, somebody in my class did manage to fail the non-restricted written test and was of course not allowed to continue with the practical. So do study the course material and listen to the instructor during your class.

Note dangerous distance for different calibers (I think there were 2 questions on it). The rest is mostly common sense relating to ACT and PROVE. A few questions on identifying action types and ammunition components and will this round work in this gun.

Try to stay away from the lever action in the practical. For some reason it seemed more complicated and cost me a point due to finger on trigger during PROVE

I read the guide twice and seemed to be light years ahead of everyone else who hadn't read it. With that being said everyone passed.

Good luck

AP
    CNN reporter to Marine Sniper "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"

Sniper "Recoil"

BANNED
    If all the clowns on this site passed how hard can it be, at least that would be my attitude

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLYBYU44's Avatar
    I challenged my test and had never read the book or fired a gun. I've always been interested in guns however. The test is extremely easy, I got 100% on my written and practical. If you have any common sense and some very basic firearm knowledge then you'll do fine.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Schmidt View Post
    You will do fine. get sleep, eat and don't drink too much caffeine to make you jittery. The worst part is waiting 4 months to get the PAL in the mail! after mailing it in wait about 2 weeks, then count out 45 days. After that call every week, no joke. If you don't, it ends up in a pile and you will wait a long long time.
    As an update, I got 100% on my written an practical. So studying does pay off, but everyone is right: it's mostly common sense.

Thanks all

BANNED
    See it wasn't that hard, welcome to your new family and enjoy your new hobby/ addiction/money pit loll it never stops from here. 1 little 2 little 3 little non restricted 4 little 5 little 6 little restricted.

(little indian song lol)

Hey Eric,
    Tell us how you did !

If you want your PAL asap don't make the same mistake I did by waiting for the course results to come back from cfo before sending in pal application form to rcmp. This way your 28 days waiting period @ rcmp starts directly, you just have to send in the course results with cfo stamp afterwards. Might save you about a month.

Quote Originally Posted by ironllama View Post
    Hi all.
    At the end of the month (March 29) I will be taking the course and exam for my PAL. I have always had an interest in firearms but have never owned or even shot one. I want to get a .22 to target shoot with.

So, I have read the CFSC manual and taken a free practice exam online and did some homework on ballistics and other firearm knowledge, but I am wondering if everyone who feels like it could put down some of their takeaways from their own experience with the exam/course.

I am wondering about the following:

-could all the answers to the exam questions be found in the CFSC manual and in the course instruction?
    -is the practical part done in front of the class? (I have bad nerves!)
    -what particular questions did you find hard (if you can remember)?

I apologize if a similar thread has been posted already. Any help I can get here would be great.

Thanks!

Eric
    Last edited by bertn; 03-31-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast