Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norinco CQA, painted receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by gixxstar View Post
    Depending on what city you're in, I would strip it down to the bare receiver and have it bead blasted and anodized. I don't know how easy the possession and ATT would work but there might even be a gun shop that can do it. If that's too much, there's lots of information online for anodizing parts yourself but probably not worth the outlay
    My understanding is you can go to any range, or gun shop-gunsmith, in your province with your current ATT.
    Am I wrong ???

Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSIVE View Post
    Because not everyone wants to spend $1000-$1500 when they can get one for $500. If you want pretty things buy something else, guns are meant to be used and the finish should be at the bottom of the list of priorities.
    This.

I bought it BECAUSE it was $500. It's another AR on the registry when the RCMP are on a banning spree and I heard the Norcs make bullets come out the front when you pull the trigger, stripped lowers don't do that.

I didn't expect amazing fit and finish for $500. And you could say cars were meant to be driven, but some people chose to repaint them when the paint flakes. Restricated guns in this Canada are legally 100% for recreation. But, sorry I'm having fun the wrong way, I'll try to have fun the correct way next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolwhiptricks View Post
    :But I always heard that underneath the painted Norinco CQ's it is anodized? Even my CQ had what looked like paint overspray in some area's. CLP made it flake off no problem. Maybe Norinco figured out the painted one's weren't prefered and tried to remove most of the paint from some batches.
    That sounds like mine, it looks anodized except for around and controls or contours then its flaking paint. I was wondering if its anodized underneath which is why I was thinking steel wool.

You say CLP got rid of it, I have never used it, I usually use separate products. Do you get it online?

Quote Originally Posted by LSB View Post
    My understanding is you can go to any range, or gun shop-gunsmith, in your province with your current ATT.
    Am I wrong ???
    You need a separate one to go to the gunsmith I think. It's to my understanding they have to be certified. There isn't a gunsmith in my town so I have never bothered looking into it.
    Last edited by Seven65; 03-13-2014 at 11:57 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Sounds like a perfect candidate for Cerakote/Duracoat.

I like krylon , it will last if you prep it right. I did mine about two years ago and its still holding up. Main thing is getting all the oil off, i used brake clean lightly sprayed it and wiped it untill all the oil was gone. Then sprayed the krylon on in very light coats. This is the cheapest way, the only thing is when krylon wears it turns glossy but you just have to spray it again.
    Last edited by mikey454; 03-13-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

If there is anodizing underneath the paint, I dont recommend steel wool or anything abrasive. Use a chemical paint stripper or you may damage the finish underneath. I found even a scouring pad removed some parkerizing on my colt barrel. I realize its a different finish on a different metal but be careful...

Quote Originally Posted by mikey454 View Post
    I like krylon , it will last if you prep it right. I did mine about two years ago and its still holding up. Main thing is getting all the oil off, i used brake clean lightly sprayed it and wiped it untill all the oil was gone. Then sprayed the krylon on in very light coats. This is the cheapest way, the only thing is when krylon wears it turns glossy but you just have to spray it again.
    I used Krylon on my Glock 22 and it's holding up awesome, although it is the least shot of my pistols. I'd probably go with something a bit tougher for a metal surface though.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck1978 View Post
    If there is anodizing underneath the paint, I dont recommend steel wool or anything abrasive. Use a chemical paint stripper or you may damage the finish underneath. I found even a scouring pad removed some parkerizing on my colt barrel. I realize its a different finish on a different metal but be careful...
    Thanks for the input, I wasn't sure how good an idea it was.

Looks like under the paint it's still anodized. I wouldn't take steel wool against it as it would scratch up the finish pretty good. Although the gun itself isn't supposed to be the prettiest anyway regardless of the chipping paint. I wouldn't bother doing anything fancy really.

Duracoat it pink for the wife or just shoot it and have a good time.
    "Giveth thine possessions upon Michael of Canmore and thou shalt never be possessionless." - Norc 3:05

I noticed that on my CQA, the areas that were painted from the factory (a bad job at that btw) was to cover scratches like the area around the forward assist, shell deflector and some parts of the lower receiver. I stripped off all the paint/drips/overspray with tamiya paint thinner and found scratched anodized aluminum underneath.
    Looks much better now with a light coating of lube to hide most of the small scratches.rather than blotches of black paint and overspray and drips. One of these days i will look into refinishing it but i am worried about covering up the serial number as it looks to be painted/printed on?

CGN frequent flyer Pistolwhiptricks's Avatar
    OP you should be able to find some kind of CLP at a gun shop in your area otherwise yes, you can order it online. I used Breakfree CLP and just sprayed it on, let it sit for a while and then used a toothbrush to scrub it down. The paint just flaked right off.

Older ones, but some newer batch's from China arrived with painted rec. I think there's a lot of painted ones being sold at $530-$570 from retailers new currently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12