Thread: NEA Stripped Matched Upper and Lower Review

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildcustom2's Avatar

NEA Stripped Matched Upper and Lower Review

First let me say that I typically do not buy low quality firearms. I have built several AR's and have always used the highest quality parts I could get my hands on. Having said that when SFRC put the NEA Z Marked Matched upper and lower combos on special I couldn't say no to a billet receiver set for less than $250 and against my better judgement after hearing all the complaints about NEA products I order 2 matched receiver sets.

Well boy was I shocked with the great quality of the product

First thing that stood out was the quality of the machining. Being someone who has a decent machinist background and a small machine shop in his house this is the first thing I looked for. Tolerances were tight but not so tight parts didn't fit and the takedown pins slid back and forth firmly but not to the point they needed force to get them to go in. There is very little to no play between the 2 receivers. Since these are machined from solid aluminum I look for evidence off tool marks and couldn't find any internally or externally on either of the two receiver sets I purchased. The edges of all the machined surfaces have been appropriately de-burred with nothing left to cut one self on.

I was also concerned that I would not like the dull grey as I am a purist for black on my AR's and to me everything must match. In the end when I assembled all the parts the difference between all the black parts I used and the receivers wasn't very noticeable and it works for me. The finish seems very durable and not easily scratched or scuffed.

I like how the spring for the rear takedown pin has been relocated from the rear of the receiver where the buffer tube threads into to the bottom where the grip attaches. Works great when disassembling and changing stocks so the spring doesn't come flying out. If you've ever worked on an AR15 you know exactly what I'm talking about.

During assembly of the two receiver sets I purchased other than the receivers being NEA all other parts where from other manufactures. I used a RRA and CMMG lower parts kit and all parts fit perfectly with no major problems or fitting required. Buffer tubes were S&J Hardware and Stag both fit with easy and no slop in the threads. Barrels were a custom stainless from Questar in 6.8 SPC and a RRA Varmint and fit no problem. Barrel nuts threaded on firmly with no play and were manufactured by Hogue. BCG were Spikes NiB and RRA and no complaints about fitting into the receiver. Charging handles were S&J Hardware and Rainier Arms Raptor, the raptor was a wee bit tight but loosened up with a little lube and being worked back and forth a couple time. Now it glides perfectly.

The only complaint I have about parts fitting is the gas tube hole is too small in the upper receiver and the variety of different brand gas tubes I tried just didn't slide in. I had to ever so gently tap them in. Perhaps something NEA could have a look at.

All in all I am very happy with the quality and my only regret is I didn't buy a half a dozen receiver sets for future projects. I will definitely buy these receivers again for future projects as I really like the quality and shape of the receivers and little touches NEA added to these. I haven't tried any of my other manufacture uppers or lowers on these yet but I will try tomorrow and see how well they fit and what interchangeability is like between receivers.

And what thread would be good without a few pics.

This is the .223 Varmint rifle I built, I will take some pics of the 6.8 rifle tomorrow and update this post. Both were kinda budget builds with emphasis put on quality barrel being key.

Thanx SFRC for a great deal on a great product.

Last edited by mildcustom2; 03-14-2014 at 01:08 AM.

That's a nice looking rifle !and thanks for sharing your expreinces with NEA. I just ordered ar15 10.5" from NEA as well,can't wit until it shows up at my door.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    Nice to see the improvements. Hopefully past issues will become history.

Looks like they will be making the jump to forged upper/lower. Wicked Police posted some stuff about this transition.

all the nea parts that i have gotten over the years have all worked out well for me. good quality for a very good price.

Reviving an old thread here but finally getting around to putting together my build on same upper power receiver set what did you use for a vise block to torque the barrel my research is saying the clamshell type doesn't work on these styles of receiver.
    You miss 100% of the shots you dont take

CGN Regular
    Looks great! Thanks for taking the time to post your review and pics.

I have used the NEA Upper and Lower to build a 300 BLK. With the combination of an NEA BCG it has functioned flawlessly.
    In my personal opinion, as a person (mil) exposed to several firearms, NEA builds quality components. As well, like other companies there are always growing pains.

BANNED
    Very nice stuff - good review. Thanks OP.

With respect to the rear takedown pin detent: personally, I like how Aero does it: the detent hole is threaded for a 4-40 set screw. This way, the detent is captured and it stays in a standard location.

Quote Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
    First let me say that I typically do not buy low quality firearms. I have built several AR's and have always used the highest quality parts I could get my hands on. Having said that when SFRC put the NEA Z Marked Matched upper and lower combos on special I couldn't say no to a billet receiver set for less than $250 and against my better judgement after hearing all the complaints about NEA products I order 2 matched receiver sets.

Well boy was I shocked with the great quality of the product

First thing that stood out was the quality of the machining. Being someone who has a decent machinist background and a small machine shop in his house this is the first thing I looked for. Tolerances were tight but not so tight parts didn't fit and the takedown pins slid back and forth firmly but not to the point they needed force to get them to go in. There is very little to no play between the 2 receivers. Since these are machined from solid aluminum I look for evidence off tool marks and couldn't find any internally or externally on either of the two receiver sets I purchased. The edges of all the machined surfaces have been appropriately de-burred with nothing left to cut one self on.

I was also concerned that I would not like the dull grey as I am a purist for black on my AR's and to me everything must match. In the end when I assembled all the parts the difference between all the black parts I used and the receivers wasn't very noticeable and it works for me. The finish seems very durable and not easily scratched or scuffed.

I like how the spring for the rear takedown pin has been relocated from the rear of the receiver where the buffer tube threads into to the bottom where the grip attaches. Works great when disassembling and changing stocks so the spring doesn't come flying out. If you've ever worked on an AR15 you know exactly what I'm talking about.

During assembly of the two receiver sets I purchased other than the receivers being NEA all other parts where from other manufactures. I used a RRA and CMMG lower parts kit and all parts fit perfectly with no major problems or fitting required. Buffer tubes were S&J Hardware and Stag both fit with easy and no slop in the threads. Barrels were a custom stainless from Questar in 6.8 SPC and a RRA Varmint and fit no problem. Barrel nuts threaded on firmly with no play and were manufactured by Hogue. BCG were Spikes NiB and RRA and no complaints about fitting into the receiver. Charging handles were S&J Hardware and Rainier Arms Raptor, the raptor was a wee bit tight but loosened up with a little lube and being worked back and forth a couple time. Now it glides perfectly.

The only complaint I have about parts fitting is the gas tube hole is too small in the upper receiver and the variety of different brand gas tubes I tried just didn't slide in. I had to ever so gently tap them in. Perhaps something NEA could have a look at.

All in all I am very happy with the quality and my only regret is I didn't buy a half a dozen receiver sets for future projects. I will definitely buy these receivers again for future projects as I really like the quality and shape of the receivers and little touches NEA added to these. I haven't tried any of my other manufacture uppers or lowers on these yet but I will try tomorrow and see how well they fit and what interchangeability is like between receivers.

And what thread would be good without a few pics.

This is the .223 Varmint rifle I built, I will take some pics of the 6.8 rifle tomorrow and update this post. Both were kinda budget builds with emphasis put on quality barrel being key.

Thanx SFRC for a great deal on a great product.

Your post influenced my decision on my latest purchase of the NEA billet set. Very good fit and feel of the two pieces that is making me look forward to build.
    Last edited by Sqr; 10-10-2015 at 06:45 PM.