Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Marstar for the Norinco CQ special.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDerp View Post
    ^So far, the only thing I've heard that's not the best about these things is the finish.
    A $600 reliable AR is a great deal, unless I'm missing something.
    You get what you pay for. Remember that.
    Meet me on the level; part upon the square.

How they can manufacture this piece for sale at this price is beyond me. Truly. Think about it. The manufacturer needs to make some margin. The manufacturers' government wants their cut in the way of taxes. Product needs to be shipped overseas. Product needs to be cleared through customs, et. al. AND they want their share. Product needs to be shipped inland. Product needs to be received, handled, marketed, sold, packaged and shipped by distributor and/or dealer. They want their cut. Product arrives at buyer. What was the actual cost to manufacture? Perhaps $200? $300? What exactly can we expect in the way of quality and precision at these prices? I suspect not a whole lot more than "zip gun" quality and precision. Loose as a goose and they will fire anything you put in them of course. Hit a large target close up? No problem of course. Need a rifle that is going to perform like an AR? Highly unlikely without even having to handle one. Better off to buy a loose as a goose pistol from Norinco. Smaller, lighter, easier to handle, cheaper ammo. I just cannot see these "AR's" being much more than a cheap loose as a goose pistol with a longer cheap barrel and a longer cheap stock molded from cheap plastic. I could be wrong, of course, but am saying I find it extremely unlikely that you are getting much more than that... and with a spray painted finish to boot. Just sayin'. I've owned many firearms - more than most. And the one thing that I have learned over the years of firearms ownership is simply this... and in a nutshell.... "you get what you pay for". Do not (please!) expect any miracles or freebies. In my 50 years of firearms enjoyment I have never seen otherwise. For whatever it's worth. And having said all of that and being a gunnut..... I'd sure like to stick a decent sight on one of these and run a thousand rounds through it to see exactly what it winds up being. I have never NEVER seen a miracle but this could be a case of China dumping into North America, in which case, for the first time in my lifetime, those that bought them lucked out.

"You get what you pay for" is generally what I work with.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    You get what you pay for. Remember that.
    Of course you do!! But they are fun to shoot, cheap ammo, work and function extremly well and hit paper every time. For under a $1000 anyone sitting on the fence about buying one? Just buy you won't be dissapointed.

P
    How they can manufacture this piece for sale at this price is beyond me. Truly. Think about it. The manufacturer needs to make some margin. The manufacturers' government wants their cut in the way of taxes. Product needs to be shipped overseas. Product needs to be cleared through customs, et. al. AND they want their share. Product needs to be shipped inland. Product needs to be received, handled, marketed, sold, packaged and shipped by distributor and/or dealer. They want their cut. Product arrives at buyer. What was the actual cost to manufacture? Perhaps $200? $300? What exactly can we expect in the way of quality and precision at these prices? I suspect not a whole lot more than "zip gun" quality and precision. Loose as a goose and they will fire anything you put in them of course. Hit a large target close up? No problem of course. Need a rifle that is going to perform like an AR? Highly unlikely without even having to handle one. Better off to buy a loose as a goose pistol from Norinco. Smaller, lighter, easier to handle, cheaper ammo. I just cannot see these "AR's" being much more than a cheap loose as a goose pistol with a longer cheap barrel and a longer cheap stock molded from cheap plastic. I could be wrong, of course, but am saying I find it extremely unlikely that you are getting much more than that... and with a spray painted finish to boot. Just sayin'. I've owned many firearms - more than most. And the one thing that I have learned over the years of firearms ownership is simply this... and in a nutshell.... "you get what you pay for". Do not (please!) expect any miracles or freebies. In my 50 years of firearms enjoyment I have never seen otherwise. For whatever it's worth. And having said all of that and being a gunnut..... I'd sure like to stick a decent sight on one of these and run a thousand rounds through it to see exactly what it winds up being. I have never NEVER seen a miracle but this could be a case of China dumping into North America, in which case, for the first time in my lifetime, those that bought them lucked out.

Remember the average Daily wage in China is less than we pay for a cup of coffee.
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    Of course you do!! But they are fun to shoot, cheap ammo, work and function extremly well and hit paper every time. For under a $1000 anyone sitting on the fence about buying one? Just buy you won't be dissapointed.
    This!!

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    How they can manufacture this piece for sale at this price is beyond me. Truly. Think about it.

Chuckle! IIRC the US Government is paying something in the ~$400 range for their M4 rifles...

China supplies firearms to ANYONE who has the $$$, and their labour rates are CHEAP compared to North America...

As for the quality of the M4 clones Norinco makes. All I can tell you is that the two Marstar rifles we own, have never malfunctioned. Great fun at the range!

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    As long as folks remember that they are getting what they are paying for, no problemos! Don't know about cheap ammo but don't doubt that they work well. The AK47 in 1970 fired pretty much anything you put into it, worked when filthy with caked on crud but were not very accurate. They were not made to be accurate - they were made to be mass produced cheaply and for close up "spray and pray". It won a war for the NVA and Chinese regular army on that basis. Put a round through the paper every time? I am going to say that I've got to see that for myself yet.... I can throw a round and put a hole through the paper as long as it's close enough. They question I posed was accuracy at range... say at 100M or more. I would want any of my rifles for defensive purposes to put rounds on paper at 25M plus at a minimum and preferable at 100M. I can put rounds on paper at 25M with any of my pistols so there is no point using a rifle to do it, except, as you say, for fun. My Colt AR will put rounds in a 3-4" circle on the target at 100M all day long (with added sight of course). THAT, to me is the purpose of having a rifle. At 25M I am more inclined to use a good pistol.

You are absolutely correct though, at this price it gives the shooters a chance to play with an AR for cheap.

And dealing with Marstar is a no-brainer. They are one of the dealers that is rock solid and will take care of you with little in the way of questions, striving to make you happy and keep you as a devoted customer. And while it has been some time since I dealt with them I can attest to the aforementioned wholeheartedly.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer johNTO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrrad View Post
    14.5" barrel, its currently on their website

https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/produ...roductid=75213
    If my indoor range allowed non-frangible .223 (which is ~$1/rnd) I would pick one of these up….just for fun.
    Sure, I have "expensive/quality" HG's that I shoot but I don't see the point of a restricted rifle sitting in my cabinet. YMMV

@ $529.95 with an anodize finish and chrome lined bbl….I'm tempted,regardless.
    Last edited by johNTO; 03-22-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    joi gin

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    In todays market and world situation. This is the best deal and value ever seen! For me a gun is a tool. To be kept clean and well maintained. Just because it is cheaper then the american M4's does not mean it is not a good tool. Anyone buying this gun is not looking for a 300 yd. tack driver. We can all buy a more expensive anything? Does the more expensive one function better?? Of course not!!!

I was on the fence about keeping mine....I have an A3 Bushmaster that was $1000, a DPMS/Dlask hybrid M4 that I built for $800, and a 10.5" upper I built with all Canadian pieces for under $400. First impression of the CQA was wow...what a poorly made pos. What the Chinese use to do well that made their guns passable for me was mill everything out of forged steel. Every big part and every little part was milled. This gave them a robust reputation at least. With the latest Nork 1911 and now the CQA, I'm seeing lots if cast and mimmed steel parts. From a company that specializes in cast or mim its no big deal. I just don't think the Chinese are up to speed making quality cast and mim parts. Literally every major component and every small part on the CQA is cast or mim other then the barrel. That can help explain why they can be retailed so cheap.
    I'm going to keep it and shoot it though, I have to at least see if it can print decent groups and decide from there if I will dump it on the EE. It is a $530 firearm, not worth a penny more then that IMHO. Certainly doesn't even compare very well to even the cheapest US made AR15's we can get.