Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Two noob questions, one transport and one home defense

Two noob questions, one transport and one home defense

1) once I get my transport papers to a club, can I just throw my handgun in my backpack(in a locked case and trigger locked) and ride my motorcycle there? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes from what I've read on that rcmp flyer I got at the course. I just dont know if I stopped for gas and walked into the gas station to pay, could I be charged with concealed carry or something stupid like that.

2) if someone breaks into my house and is threatening my life can I use a firearm (restricted or not) for self defence? or am I suppose to throw my TV at them? I don't mean, if the guy is running away down the street and I shoot him in the back, that's not self defense.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Well, the short answer is yes. I'm not a lawyer, but I did once stay at a Holiday Inn. The long answer is that the Canadian Legal system has very little to do with legal or illegal and everything to do with what you can convince other people of.

You are legally allowed to use any reasonable force to defend yourself, the problem is that you will be dragged over the coals trying to justify that it was reasonable to use a gun.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

My take on #2 - If an intruder is posing an imminent threat to your life or a loved one, yes you can use your firearm to defend yourself and use necessary amount of force to do so. Just make sure it's imminent threat, i.e. someone is actively trying to attack you with a weapon, ID your threat (to make sure it's not a drunk kid who accidentally got in your house), and don't shoot anymore if they're running away or if they're down, don't walk up to them and do a 'coupe de grace (I don't know if I spelled that right). Also, make sure you have your firearm stored according to safe storage regulations.

I'm not a lawyer, so take my advice for what it's worth. Try to read lots of articles on SD and reasonable amount of force etc etc.
    CCFR Member

[QUOTE=Up_On_One_Ramon;9883001]1) once I get my transport papers to a club, can I just throw my handgun in my backpack(in a locked case and trigger locked) and ride my motorcycle there? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes from what I've read on that rcmp flyer I got at the course. I just dont know if I stopped for gas and walked into the gas station to pay, could I be charged with concealed carry or something stupid like that.
    /QUOTE]

When transporting a restricted firearm you must go straight from point A-B via the shortest most direct route and no stops are allowed in between. That's my understanding, so going in for gas and by chance you drop your bag and the case comes out at the foot of a officer..........you are on the hook. Best fill up before heading out.
    The most important part of gun rights isn’t “gun,” it’s “rights.”
    -- CCFR Member --

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete-aarr View Post
    When transporting a restricted firearm you must go straight from point A-B via the shortest most direct route and no stops are allowed in between. That's my understanding, so going in for gas and by chance you drop your bag and the case comes out at the foot of a officer..........you are on the hook. Best fill up before heading out.

I believe the actually wording is "a reasonably direct route", So gassing up is perfectly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Up_On_One_Ramon View Post

2) if someone breaks into my house and is threatening my life can I use a firearm (restricted or not) for self defence? or am I suppose to throw my TV at them? I don't mean, if the guy is running away down the street and I shoot him in the back, that's not self defense.
    If you had given that reason when you applied for a restricted, you would not hAve been given the restricted license. Should tell ya the most correct answer....
    I exist solely for comedic relief..... oh, and drugs!

ok, thanks for clarifying that

Quote Originally Posted by flyrrad View Post
    If you had given that reason when you applied for a restricted, you would not hAve been given the restricted license. Should tell ya the most correct answer....
    That is a gross over simplification. You are not allowed to own a gun for self defence. You are not allowed to own a baseball bat, golf club or pool noodle for self defence either. Just because the status quo is that you cannot buy a pistol to use specifically for home defence, does not mean that you cannot use a pistol you bought to shoot targets to shoot an attacker.

If you are facing a direct threat of grevious bodily harm or death to either yourself or another, you are justified in the use of force up to and including deadly force. You have the RIGHT to self defence, as guaranteed by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Whatever tool you have at your disposal is acceptable, be that a pistol that you can access from its properly stored location (there are fast access safes on the market for this express purpose) or the aformentioned pool noodle of death.

Just understand that you will need to justify any action that takes the life of another.
    Last edited by Cavs42; 03-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.

CGN frequent flyer coldestcanuck's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Pete-aarr;9884443]
    Quote Originally Posted by Up_On_One_Ramon View Post
    1) once I get my transport papers to a club, can I just throw my handgun in my backpack(in a locked case and trigger locked) and ride my motorcycle there? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes from what I've read on that rcmp flyer I got at the course. I just dont know if I stopped for gas and walked into the gas station to pay, could I be charged with concealed carry or something stupid like that.
    /QUOTE]

That is only true if that is what it says on your LTATT. Mine says to use " a route that is in all cases reasonably direct". Just remember to never confuse "reasonable" with "convenient".
    Honour above all else, member-CFFR, CSSA, AFG, NRA. R.I.P. LOKO.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer padawan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavs42 View Post
    That is a gross over simplification. You are not allowed to own a gun for self defence. You are not allowed to own a baseball bat, golf club or pool noodle for self defence either. Just because the status quo is that you cannot buy a pistol to use specifically for home defence, does not mean that you cannot use a pistol you bought to shoot targets to shoot an attacker.

If you are facing a direct threat of grevious bodily harm or death to either yourself or another, you are justified in the use of force up to and including deadly force. You have the RIGHT to self defence, as guaranteed by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Whatever tool you have at your disposal is acceptable, be that a pistol that you can access from its properly stored location (there are fast access safes on the market for this express purpose) or the aformentioned pool noodle of death.

Just understand that you will need to justify any action that takes the life of another.
    Well said.

Could be the best answer to that question I've ever read on this forum. I vote to make that a sticky, so it doesn't need to be asked again.
    Poly is pissed eh...behold my field of f*cks..and see that it is bare!!

Murph83

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast