Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M1919 and M2

Yup for a 1919

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_911 View Post
    Thats funny
    Yah I thought that after I posted it. A little low. But can't you get 1919 for around 2500?
    Practice makes you perfect, it also makes you broke!

Quote Originally Posted by zelly View Post
    Yah I thought that after I posted it. A little low. But can't you get 1919 for around 2500?
    Double that would be a good deal.

Wow seems like I'm out of touch with reality
    Practice makes you perfect, it also makes you broke!

Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    Double that would be a good deal.
    I'd say more of a better deal for the community in general. Dropping them to $2-2.5k would be amazing for us shooters and everyone and their dog would own one.

The only way to bring em down to that cost is mass import. That many M2's kicking around would likely only fuel the anti's rage machines. Thus making the low cost not so "great" for us in the end.

That said, an M2 would have my attention so damned fast.

You will never see a semi 1919 here for $2,500, especially with having to make all 5 parts of the receiver from scratch. The sideplates and the top plate are simple enough, but the trunnion requires alot of machining steps, even with CNC equipment, and the bottom plate is a fair bit of work also. Just to keep the costs down and make it worth while for tooling and jigs, you would have to produce quite a few of them.

Even in the US, were they are allowed to build semis from surplus parts, complete guns have gone up in value and they are getting $2,000 for them now. They are even having a shortage of good usable surplus parts like trunnions, bottom plates and top plates, that some companies are having to make their own from scratch to be able to complete orders. Supplies of some parts are starting to dry up and eventually most of the guns parts will have to be made from scratch.

If someone in Canada does decide to make complete guns, I would suspect they will be in the $4,500 to $5,000 range. That's of course if they are equiped with surplus tripods. If the tripod also has to be made from scratch, that price will go up.

I don't think there are too companies that would want to put out the amount of money up front to make samples to send in to the RCMP lab, and wait 2 years, just to have them refused. I might be abit of a skeptic, but I don't think the RCMP would allow anymore 1919's to be sold in Canada, no matter how many of their hoops you jump through.
    Last edited by Beezer; 03-23-2014 at 12:46 AM.

I still feel that a Russian PM1910 is the way to go.

<<<< Look left.

If someone (perhaps CanAm, after all this is his forum) was to get hold of some of the many Maxims in storage in eastern Europe, and make an all new SA receiver, it would be a winner.
    Maxim design, spiffy Sokolov wheeled mount, pre-1946 belts, cheap x54R ammo (yeah baby!), hopefully under $3000.
    Give it some thought, Chris!
    Last edited by tootall; 03-23-2014 at 03:45 AM.

Super Moderator
    Given the flurry of interest in the semi auto RPDs, that might be an interesting project.
    There must be a whack of RPDs in storage in China, which could yield a reliable supply of parts. Only new semi only receivers and the dedicated semi auto parts would be needed.

As far as Maxims go, China might be holding those, too, unless they went into the smelters during a great leap forward.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildcustom2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zelly View Post
    Average used 1919 goes for $5500. I sold mine as a 30-06/.308 package with lots of new spare parts and accessories for $8500. So your price is definitely way off. They only seem to go up and up in price.

Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    I still feel that a Russian PM1910 is the way to go.

If someone (perhaps CanAm, after all this is his forum) was to get hold of some of the many Maxims in storage in eastern Europe, and make an all new SA receiver, it would be a winner.
    Maxim design, spiffy Sokolov wheeled mount, pre-1946 belts, cheap x54R ammo (yeah baby!), hopefully under $3000.
    Give it some thought, Chris!
    Yeah. I wouldn't object to adding a Russian Maxim to my collection, but I think the $3,000 price tag would be hard to achieve, with the work required to make complete new receivers for it. I would have to look at the blueprints for one to get an idea of the machining and tooling that would be required.

IMA-USA sells parts sets for the Russian Maxim for just shy of $2,500 US funds and if you want the wheeled mount add another $400. Now add the cost of making the new receiver box. I think your still looking at a minimum of $5,000 for one, fully build and ready to run. Which I would still probably be willing to pay.

Not saying that someone shouldn't look into it, just being realistic. It would probably take a couple years to aquire the demilled guns from Europe and another year to design and build a functional sample to be submitted, then another couple years for the tech branch to look at it. By that time, alot of things can change, especially if a Liberal government gets into power.

Now if we can get the whole C-68 repealed and the prohibited classifications that were created by C-68, that would make it a whole new ball game. That would open it up to taking demilled and surplus guns like the Maxim, Vickers, along with any other belt-fed that requires a semi specific side-plate to be made, to bring them back to life again as semi only.
    Last edited by Beezer; 03-23-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast