Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M1919 and M2

That IMA price is based on panic hoarding in the USA. If a warehouse full could be found somewhere in the former USSR, I suspect they would be a LOT less.

http://www.ima-usa.com/maxim-m-1910-...an-fluted.html $450 SOLD OUT

http://www.guns.com/2013/04/12/the-m...und-the-wordl/
    "The Russian/Soviet Maxim is a hit with collectors in any format. With so many popping up after the peace dividend of the 1990s on the international surplus market, parts kits for these guns fell to as low as $500"

Current Euro price, E899 (X 1.55 = C$1393)
    http://www.zib-militaria.de/Maxim-19...wheeled-tripod

The semi rebuild design is already approved by the BATFE, so it does not need to be designed from new. Just approved by the SFSS.

Chris???

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    I still feel that a Russian PM1910 is the way to go.

<<<< Look left.

If someone (perhaps CanAm, after all this is his forum) was to get hold of some of the many Maxims in storage in eastern Europe, and make an all new SA receiver, it would be a winner.
    Maxim design, spiffy Sokolov wheeled mount, pre-1946 belts, cheap x54R ammo (yeah baby!), hopefully under $3000.
    Give it some thought, Chris!
    I have always wanted a water-cooled Vickers, it's been a life-long dream. Of course, I envision it in FA, lol.

But since that is unlikely to happen (with all the resistance in this country to the graduated training/licensing regime that would be necessary IMO), a semi-auto Maxim would be the next best thing!
    Especially in 7.62X54r!
    Sign me up for one for sure.

The semi rebuild design is already approved by the BATFE, so it does not need to be designed from new. Just approved by the SFSS.
    This is true, but what the BATFE says is ok and what the SFSS says ok are two different things. Proof is the semi 1919 and M2HB. BATFE says only the right side plate has to be replaced and the RCMP tech branch now say it has to be all 5 parts that make up the recieve box. They will apply the same idiotic thinking to a Maxim. I tracted down an image of the trunnion blueprints for the Maxim and it is not an easy part to make. I think sometimes people are not aware of how much work and cost actually goes into manufacturing of these parts. Even with CNC equipment, it still is costly when talking about low production numbers under 1,000. I am still amazed how they managed to make these parts long ago without the modern tooling we have today. The Maxim is quite a complicated firearm when to look at all the parts. A 1919 is so simple in comparison.

Where did you find the print for the Maxim trunnion?
    Can you post a link to a download, or email a .pdf ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Just a comment wrt the 1919... Didn't Alberta Tactical Rifle put together a semi 1919 which was identical to the non-restricted TNW? And didn't the RCMP Firearms Lab conclude that the ATR 1919 was a converted auto? I tried looking for the thread discussing this, but didn't find it...

Essentially, the two semi 1919's were IDENTICAL side by side, and yet one was considered 'okay' & the other was not... Just something to think about...

Cheers
    Jay
    One of the five sides of the receiver came from an original browning. IE a full auto. It was classified as a converted auto as it retain part if the original full auto receiver.

Apparently if all 5 sides of the receiver were made from scratch, it would be non restricted. This is where atrs are going next.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    I still feel that a Russian PM1910 is the way to go.

<<<< Look left.

If someone (perhaps CanAm, after all this is his forum) was to get hold of some of the many Maxims in storage in eastern Europe, and make an all new SA receiver, it would be a winner.
    Maxim design, spiffy Sokolov wheeled mount, pre-1946 belts, cheap x54R ammo (yeah baby!), hopefully under $3000.
    Give it some thought, Chris!
    Oh hells ya!!!
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Where did you find the print for the Maxim trunnion?
    Can you post a link to a download, or email a .pdf ?
    I am not sure if they are complete and I believe they might be for an old version Maxim. You will have to right click on each image and select "Save Picture As".

h ttp://www.scribd.com/doc/150309753/The-Maxim-Machine-Gun-Systems-Blueprints-by-1906
    Last edited by Beezer; 03-24-2014 at 01:10 AM.

Now this might sound like I'm a moron (which isn't far off), but why aren't old style 'machine-gun' reproductions cheaper? Excuse my ignorance, but a firearm designed and built by hand in the EARLY 1900's must be easy to produce with today's automated technology, right? Or did it take the advent of machine-stamped metal gun parts (like AK's and what not) instead of forged pieces to significantly lower the costs of production?

Quote Originally Posted by DiMP View Post
    Now this might sound like I'm a moron (which isn't far off), but why aren't old style 'machine-gun' reproductions cheaper? Excuse my ignorance, but a firearm designed and built by hand in the EARLY 1900's must be easy to produce with today's automated technology, right? Or did it take the advent of machine-stamped metal gun parts (like AK's and what not) instead of forged pieces to significantly lower the costs of production?
    Back then it was a different mindset I think. It was wartime and wartime production was not about profits. It was about getting the guns to the troops that needed them as fast as possible. The introduction of machined-stamped gun parts was a huge benefit to that goal. They weren't really trying to build guns that would last for years. They wanted a firearm that would do what it needed to do, but still easy to produce in the tens of thousands. The Sten is a prime example of a mass produced yet simple firearm that was cheap to produce. If one of these guns didn't function it was just discarded and replaced with another.

I also think it comes down to the wages of today compared to then. Back then I think alot of work was "piece work". So you the more parts you produced the more money you made. The overhead for a company is alot more today in comparison. You also have to remember that everything was cheaper back then, materials, machines, tools, etc.. We may think things were way cheaper back then, but to the people that lived at that time, things probably appeared to be very expensive.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Older designs tend to be much more complicated.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast