Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M1919 and M2

If you have ever looked inside a Maxim or Vickers, it will blow your mind as to how someone could design such a thing.
    And Hiram was not copying or adapting the work of others before him.

The cartridge gets pulled rearwards from the belt, then dropped downwards, then pushed forwards into the chamber.
    This is not the final version, but sort of similar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiFGKWPSaas

[youtube]hiFGKWPSaas[/youtube]

Super Moderator
    It is one thing to use available parts, and assemble those on newly made semi auto receiver with new semi parts as necessary, and quite another to put an obsolete design back into production, from scratch.
    Look at the photos of the factories which built Maxims, Brens, etc. CNC machining centers can replace numbers of single operation machine tools, but the investment in capital assets is still substantial.
    Mass production requires a mass market. Limited production for a small specialized enthusiasts' market is something else entirely.
    I mentioned the RPD because the receivers and semi parts have been made in the US with the resulting guns selling at less than astronomic prices. It is do-able, and China would have stored RPDs.
    There is also the risk of entering into such a project, and then not being able to market the things, because of restrictions. It would be a real gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    It is one thing to use available parts, and assemble those on newly made semi auto receiver with new semi parts as necessary, and quite another to put an obsolete design back into production, from scratch.
    Look at the photos of the factories which built Maxims, Brens, etc. CNC machining centers can replace numbers of single operation machine tools, but the investment in capital assets is still substantial.
    Mass production requires a mass market. Limited production for a small specialized enthusiasts' market is something else entirely.
    I mentioned the RPD because the receivers and semi parts have been made in the US with the resulting guns selling at less than astronomic prices. It is do-able, and China would have stored RPDs.
    There is also the risk of entering into such a project, and then not being able to market the things, because of restrictions. It would be a real gamble.
    Exactly why I believe a PM 1910 rebuild is very viable.
    A Norinco all new M2HB, not so much...

Blend these few new parts ( http://www.hellboxarmory.com/mm5/mer...de=MaxInternal ) with a parts kit from eastern Europe.
    NOTE. This is USA kit, so only has a RSP, not the rest of the receiver box.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildcustom2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    Exactly why I believe a PM 1910 rebuild is very viable.
    A Norinco all new M2HB, not so much...

Blend these few new parts ( http://www.hellboxarmory.com/mm5/mer...de=MaxInternal ) with a parts kit from eastern Europe.
    NOTE. This is USA kit, so only has a RSP, not the rest of the receiver box.
    I really like the idea of the Maxim as its a work of art. The fact someone has already done the engineering to make it semi auto makes the possibility even more practical. Unfortunately the original parts that would come from the company to make it semi auto would make it a converted auto and prohib, there is no reason a business with a prohib license couldn't bring the converted semi parts in and make drawings off them to build new receivers etc. making it a new semi auto receiver.

Pretty crazy that you can make new semi parts that are exactly the same as the OEM machined semi parts yet ones prohib and ones not.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
    Pretty crazy that you can make new semi parts that are exactly the same as the OEM machined semi parts yet ones prohib and ones not.
    As long as the new receiver doesn't use parts of an old full auto receiver it shouldn't be a problem.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

I wouldn't trust a Norinco build 1919 let alone a M2HB. They are not know for using the best quality of steel in China. But that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    I wouldn't trust a Norinco build 1919 let alone a M2HB. They are not know for using the best quality of steel in China. But that is just my opinion.
    I've fired the M2HB QCB.... Its a powerful gun with a lot of violent mechanical action going on inside.... Definitely not something you want made out of pot-metal, with no QC.

New manufacture guns of this nature, produced with the same QC and specs as the guns produced for western militaries, would be cost prohibitive, even if produced in China...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Matt_dal123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_911 View Post
    Thats funny
    X2 hahaha
    Homer: I'd like to buy your deadliest gun, please.

Gun Shop Owner: Aisle six, next to the sympathy cards.

1949 Russian language manual for PM 1910 available for download on Scribd.
    184 pages, lots of interesting drawings.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/40865476/1...ine-Gun-Manual

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    It's well known M305 and Norinco M1911 uses superior steel to Springfield, it's just that they tend to be a bit rough in finish.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast