Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: New arrivals at marstar

Holy Mamma Jama thats a nice Tokarev Those aren't for sale are they?
    Last edited by Rasp76; 04-15-2014 at 04:40 PM.

My M97 landed the other day. Looks pretty much like the pic. That is to say....it's damn sweet lookin'

In an apparent reverse of some shipments, this time the gun was bone dry. A few oil soaked packs in strategic spots made for an easy unwrapping and initial clean. Stripped her apart, gave her a good scrubbing and lubed her up. Thinking of swapping out the rubber pad for a replacement solid plastic Winchester one, but I'll cycle a couple of boxes first to see if the shoulder prefers the extra padding.
    It was asked/mentioned in passing, but the shotgun will slam fire.

So far, I'm very happy with it and can't wait to get her out to the range. Maybe get some pics up tomorrow if I remember.

(E)
    Law of Politics
    Communicating logic to a Liberal is only a little more difficult than communicating with the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by KDG View Post
    I don't think it is do-able on this M97. The barrel walls might be too thin due to machining of the choke. It doesn't look like there would be enough metal left in the barrel to groove the clearance cuts for the screws. If anyone was thinking of trying to install a heat shield....be careful you don't cut through your barrel !
    Here is a followup to that. I got my Numrich heat shield today and had a look. There is the one indent already for the barrel band screw, but the other two screws could be the problem due to the choke, as you mentioned. I am taking this to a gunsmith to get their opinion. I am sure there is a way to get this to work somehow.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    Are extra mags for CF pistol available?
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Mr Trout Are you sure the other two screws are the same gauge on their threads, perhaps they are slightly thinner and the one is thicker like a lock

Cause it would suck to have to mar the finish making the channels

Quote Originally Posted by Rasp76 View Post
    Mr Trout Are you sure the other two screws are the same gauge on their threads, perhaps they are slightly thinner and the one is thicker like a lock

Cause it would suck to have to mar the finish making the channels
    All three screws are the same, and cutting channels for them is normal for the heat shield installation. People have been doing this for 100 years.

The only issue with these new 1897s is that the barrel is thinner than normal 1897 shotguns, and cutting the channel could possibly penetrate the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_trout View Post
    All three screws are the same, and cutting channels for them is normal for the heat shield installation. People have been doing this for 100 years.

The only issue with these new 1897s is that the barrel is thinner than normal 1897 shotguns, and cutting the channel could possibly penetrate the barrel.
    Even if it doesn't penetrate the barrel, it may leave the barrel wall too thin at the groove to safely shoot.
    Manson Precision warns you must have at least .018 wall thickness after reaming.

From Brownells website........

SCREW-IN CHOKE INSTALLATION REQUIREMENTS
    Before accepting a barrel for machining to accept screw-in chokes, you must measure the outside diameter (O.D.) to determine
    if there will be sufficient wall thickness after machining.
    “Mike” the O.D. of the barrel and the O.D. of the tap for the particular gauge.
    Subtract the O.D. of the tap from that of the barrel, divide by 2, and this will give the wall thickness after machining,
    providing the O.D. of the barrel is concentric with the inside diameter (I.D.). A sample calculation appears below.

Barrel O.D. (12 Gauge) .850"
    Tap O.D. (12 Gauge) Win-Choke™ – .814"
    .036" ÷ 2 = . 018" Wall Thickness

We DO NOT recommend installations in barrels where the resultant wall thickness will be less than .015", providing
    the I.D. of the barrel is concentric with the O.D. If the I.D. is not concentric with the O.D.,
    you will have to make your own decision as to whether the installation will be safe.
    In addition, you CANNOT install screw-in chokes in barrels whose inside diameters (I.D.)
    exceed the following dimensions:10 ga. - .780";12 ga.- .735";12 ga. Thinwall- .728";16 ga.- .666";20 ga.- .624".
    Exceeding these dimensions WILL CAUSE DAMAGED CHOKE TUBES and there is a GREAT POSSIBILITY OF CAUSING A BARREL BLOW-OUT!
    Check EVERY installation before firing to make sure the tube does not protrude into the bore. Back-bored or jug-choked barrels
    are usually NOT suitable for screw-in choke installation.

So depending on how deep the grooves go, you may end up with a barrel wall thickness well under .015.
    I hope you can safely install it because the trench gun look is something I want as well and the Numrich part looks amazing, I just don't want to see you potentially injure yourself if the walls are too thin.
    The gun can always be replaced, eyes, fingers and lives......not so much !

Good luck and I hope you get the go ahead from a gunsmith. It will look great fitted to the gun and I want one too!
    Happiness is a warm gun
    Bang bang, shoot shoot.

The Beatles, 1968

mr_trout, what's the latest word on the trench gun heat shield installation?
    Thanks.

Some more info for a trench gun conversion...

First notch. 3.730" From end of barrel. Notch already cut in barrel... 0.0415" deep (measured by subtracting the diameter of the barrel at the cut (0.8660") from the diameter of the barrel at the same level but at 90° to the notch (0.9075")

Second notch. 2.185" from end of barrel. Will end up 0.5705" short of the bottom of the choke (choke shoulder is 1.6145" down). So should be no issues there, not doing anything they didn't do with the first notch.

Third notch. 0.640" from end of barrel. OD of the barrel at this point is 0.9050" (slight taper maybe?), ID is 0.7955" (OD of the choke tube is 0.7910"). Gives me a theoretical wall thickness of 0.05475" (measured value looks more like 0.0545").
    Now to add it all up... 0.545" - 0.415" = 0.013. Take 0.13" + 0.002" (to account for the taper of the barrel that is NOT there on the inside of the bayonet lug... yes I bought one) = 0.015" or minimum suggested in post #77 (thanks for the info KDG). So meets minimum wall thickness for third notch.

Also consider that the notch already there is slightly larger than it needs to be. At least it is for the screw holding the original band on is. If you made the notches only as large as necessary then you could have more meat under the screw. With the back two screws holding it tight you may even consider shortening the screw threads on the front screw (sand them down a thou) and make the notch shallower yet.

Not sure if this matters but the notch will also be above the threads of the choke... if that makes sense... threads stop 0.75" from the end of the barrel and the notch is 0.640" down... so the notch is at a portion of the barrel that isn't really doing all that much.

Please remember that your dimensions may be slightly different and you will need to double check them but for this one I'm thinking I'm good to go.

What I do need is if someone with a factory Norc trench gun could measure the OD of their barrel... I need to see if theirs is as meaty as this brute.
    I have no idea how I'm going to get this bayonet mount on let alone how I would ever get it off without a sledge hammer... it is seriously undersized compared to the barrel. ID of the bayonet mount is only 0.8700" and that's with all the screws out.
    She gonna be tight.
    Trust me, there is no slipping this thing on and off the barrel.

Suggestions? Anyone have a long 0.905" bore? :D

P.S. For those wondering, yes it looks like these take Baikal chokes. I just swapped one from my MP-27EM-1C and it fit like a glove. Also the factory choke gauges as Light Modified (0.715") using one of the brass choke gauge thingies from Brownell's for what that's worth.

Both Tru Choke (Carlson's) and Trulock have a section for Baikal chokes.
    Last edited by CJacob; 06-25-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added info.

CGN Regular
    Hi Marstar,

In regards to the CF-98 pistol, it says "The export variants (9mm version) include the CF-98 (barrel life c. 8000 rds)". Can you elaborate on the barrel? Why does it have such a short round count life?

What other differences does this pistol have compared to the actual Military issued one?

Do you currently sell extra magazines?

Thank you

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678