Thread: Score vs Challenger slugs?

CGN Regular

Score vs Challenger slugs?

How do these slugs compare for terminal ballistics? Is the Challenger made from harder lead?

The Challenger looks like it uses the Dangerous Game Slug from Ballistic Products (http://www.ballisticproducts.com/12g...tinfo/0721612/) - can you confirm that?

I may order both and do some testing, but just thought I'd check if the info is available already.

Cheers

BANNED
    Challenger slugs have little deformation after been shot. Penetration is what Challengers are designed to do. Yes Challengers are the dangerous game slug.

Expired Business Member
    We've got a couple of customers who are testing them both separately. One of them has a youtube channel and demonstrates different ammo with ballistics gel. When the weather warms up a bit, I hope to see SCORE and Challenger slugs tested! We have another customer who has done "phone book" tests with various slugs including Challenger. He tests the pentration of the different slugs by how many phone books they go through! He has kindly agreed for me to pass on his document, so if anyone's interested, PM me your email address and I will send you the results. He's planning on testing SCORE this year.

From what I know about both slugs, both can be used for dangerous game. SCORE is really accurate but Challenger slugs are solid, making them ideal for bear defense.

On a separate note, we are planning to bring in Bear Spray and 12ga Bear Bangers, together with 12ga flares that have been requested

CGN Regular
    Great to hear some testing is coming, looking forward to it. I think I'll order some of both and run a few tests of my own as well Anyone in Vancouver want to split some shipping?

Here is the response I got from Ballistic Products on the difference between the two:

Hi,

Is there a difference in the hardness of the lead used in the Thug Slug and the Dangerous Game Slug? Have you done any testing of these products to analyze terminal performance on large heavy boned animals? They both look like good options and I'm trying to decide which is the better choice for a round that I may have to trust with my life.

Thanks for any information you can share on this.

Regards,
    Hkr
    In the 12ga, both slugs are relatively the same hardness/density. The DSG Thunderbolt is definitely the hardest hitting at 1 3/8 oz. Velocity also plays a role in the take-down power of a load. The Thug Slugs can easily be loaded around 1500 fps, while the DSG is consistent around 1400+ fps.

Overall the performance will depend both on the load you are using and your shotgun itself. Both the 1 1/8 oz Thug slug with its hollow point design and the 1 3/8 DSG Thunderbolt have been used very successfully on large game by our customers. However, I would go with the Thunderbolt if you are looking for maximum impact. Note that the Thunderbolt can only be loaded in 3” or 3.5”. The Thug Slug is good for both 2.75” and 3” loads.

-Xxxxxxxx
    I have followed up to get clarification on DSG vs Thug at equal weight and velocity, and will update if I get a response.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hkr View Post
    Great to hear some testing is coming, looking forward to it. I think I'll order some of both and run a few tests of my own as well Anyone in Vancouver want to split some shipping?

Here is the response I got from Ballistic Products on the difference between the two:

I have followed up to get clarification on DSG vs Thug at equal weight and velocity, and will update if I get a response.
    Great information, thanks! We all like to see data and information on these things.

I always recommend people try ammo before taking it into the field (especially if they're relying on it for safety) as ammo does work differently in different firearms, and you should be satisfied that it's going to meet your expectations and requirements for the application and firearm you have.

Just bumping this to see if there's been any more info available on the challenger vs score slugs.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer abbynormal's Avatar
    Yep - I'm interested too ....

I did a bit a research on the 'THUG' slug that SCORE is using, and it all sounds good!

Abby

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Challenger slugs have little deformation after been shot. Penetration is what Challengers are designed to do. Yes Challengers are the dangerous game slug.
    Good to know as i got a #### load of those. Bought them awhile ago as i heard good things about them.