Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holsters?

Holsters?

So I'm a noob. Hi!

I've been to a range 5-6 times now.

I've enjoyed the experience each and every time.

I'm fascinated with the skill (in my case - lack of skill) of hitting the bull's-eye, and feel challenged by the sport of it.
    In other words, way fun!

But in my trips to a range, I don't really recall anyone wearing a holster - and carrying their pistol/revolver in that way.
    Firearms were left on the table between shooting, as was ammunition.

Was I just blind to it, having too much fun to notice? Or do people walk around wearing holsters?

Generally speaking, carrying with a holster is prohibited on any range/club in Canada. I say generally because there are some exceptions, such as for law enforcement people, as well as people in the security field of work (read: licensed). Other exception that I know is also during IPSC tournaments, where it's actually required to have a holster.

Every firearm has to be left on the table when not firing (with barrel pointing down range of course). If it's not in your hands while shooting, it's laying on the table. Only other possibility is: in it's carrying case...!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Depends on the type of shooting you're doing.

Super Moderator
    Depends on the shooting discipline, and on the club.
    IMHO, a holster is the safest, most secure place for a handgun while on the range.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multicam333 View Post
    Generally speaking, carrying with a holster is prohibited on any range/club in Canada. I say generally because there are some exceptions, such as for law enforcement people, as well as people in the security field of work (read: licensed). Other exception that I know is also during IPSC tournaments, where it's actually required to have a holster.

Every firearm has to be left on the table when not firing (with barrel pointing down range of course). If it's not in your hands while shooting, it's laying on the table. Only other possibility is: in it's carrying case...!
    you have no clue what you're talking about.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
    So I'm a noob. Hi!

I've been to a range 5-6 times now.

I've enjoyed the experience each and every time.

I'm fascinated with the skill (in my case - lack of skill) of hitting the bull's-eye, and feel challenged by the sport of it.
    In other words, way fun!

But in my trips to a range, I don't really recall anyone wearing a holster - and carrying their pistol/revolver in that way.
    Firearms were left on the table between shooting, as was ammunition.

Was I just blind to it, having too much fun to notice? Or do people walk around wearing holsters?
    Of course you can use a holster. It all depends on the club that you belong to. Our club requires you to take their Basic Holster Course, if you want to use a holster. However, holster qualified at our club, doesn't mean you can walk around the building with your pistol in a holster. Your allowed to use your holster while on the range ONLY. Also, if your not shooting, the pistol must be holstered without a magazine and no round in the chamber. It must be proved safe at all times.
    Last edited by kidcom; 03-30-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    Of course you can use a holster. It all depends on the club that you belong to. Our club requires you to take their Basic Holster Course, if you want to use a holster. However, holster qualified at our club, doesn't mean you can walk around the building with your pistol in a holster. Your allowed to use your holster while on the range ONLY. Also, if your not shooting, the pistol must be holstered without a magazine and no round in the chamber. It must be proved safe at all times.
    This is why CCW is not realistic in Canada. Even gun people don't want other gun people to carry a gun. FFS
    Former Proud NFA member

CGN frequent flyer
    The club I belong to allows strong side and cross draw holsters to be worn. Shoulder holsters are not permitted. Holsters can be used under the following conditions:
    - firearms are only to be loaded on the firing line (except for on duty police, etc), anywhere else firearms must be unloaded
    - holster must be worn so the firearm is visible to other shooters, for IDPA shooters it can be concealed on the firing line to practice their style of shooting, but must be visible off the line
    - if you do not require to wear the holster, i.e. when shooting on the rifle range don't (not a rule, but a request to keep the anti-holster group from getting upset)
    - anyone found to be using a holster in an unsafe manner, i.e. sweeping the line with a cross draw holster will lose the privilege

^ this.

Most ranges will allow you to use a holster if you have completed their holster training course. Some ranges (usually if there is more then 1 in the same city) will honour the certification that you got at the other range. Generally speaking, most people just haven't bothered to take the course as it does cost some cash. Recreational shooters are generally happy just leaving their pistol on the table unloaded. Usually someone who is wearing a holster is doing so because they are training for idpa/IPSC (at least that is my observation)

BANNED
    Kind of surprised your club allows cross draw holsters. IPSC/IDPA etc holster courses are mostly about becoming very aware about where your muzzle is pointed. A cross draw doesn't keep the muzzle pointed down range. Mind you, the real safety on any firearm is between the shooter's ears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast