Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Designers/CAD Techs Wanted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 41 Colt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    Choosing a printer will be part of the job.
    I use a Stratasys Dimension 1200ES. Dissolvable support model, near $30,000 new, maybe cheaper now. Can purchase a maintenance plan with it that we had to use once when the head crashed into a part due to ABS warpage. FDM printing in ABSplus, 0.010" layer resolution. I prototype tools and the parts are strong enough for field testing. I have no experience in the SLS ones that harden powders. I can tell you a bit more later, back to work I go.

CGN Regular
    This was a test. You just admitted to browsing at work.

Put on do not hire list.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 41 Colt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevelarry View Post
    This was a test. You just admitted to browsing at work.

Put on do not hire list.
    Lol, I go home for my lunch hour.

I already sent my e-mail in with my qualifications and such, so I hope to hear back from ya.

But as for 3D printers, what you need to do first is establish what you want to afford, and then you should establish the nature of the parts you want made. For example, are you after high strength or high accuracy, or both with a price hike? Generally FDM printers produce relatively stronger parts with less accuracy, however the part will need little or no post processing to be usable. DLP will generally produce very accurate parts, but UV resin is generally weaker, and requires more post processing to be useable.
    SLS printers produce the strongest and most accurate parts, however they are the most expensive, and generally have complicated filtration and pressurization systems which you'll need to fulfill certain safety requirements for, that means you'll need a sealed off room for materials handling, air filtration systems, and more. SLS printers also need a good deal of calibration before working properly, so you'll need a month or two before you get it even working.
    But the biggest advantage with SLS printers is the material choices available to you, there are just so many things you can print with using that system, depending on the quality of SLS printer of course.

Keep in mind as well the accuracy differences on professional printers is generally so small as to be negligible for most practical purposes.

But with all that being said right now 3D printers are going through quite a boom, and at this stage we're starting to see the bridge between high end printers and hobbyist models being spanned.

There are printers coming out which have capabilities comparable to professional models at 1/10th the price, but such printers lack the warranties and infrastructure the big companies can give you.
    For such printers you'd need someone who could essentially build said printer and program it in order to get the most out of it.

But then again, I don't know what sort of products you're aiming at designing at Canada Ammo, you may very well simply need an Ultimaker or something along those lines to create form/fit pieces.

For example I can print functioning mags on my hobbyist 3D printer, (when I finally get it functioning again), and my printer is no where near as good as a Ultimaker, though I did only pay 700 dollars for it.

Another thing to consider as well is the fact that there's quite a lot of money being put into graphene materials development for 3D printing, so it may very well be a good idea to hold out for a while before sinking a lot of money into a printer lacking that capability. Heck, there are even cheapish metal printers on the horizon from the looks of it, and key patents on SLS printers expired this year, so we may see some companies producing much cheaper SLS machines in the nearish future. Not that you shouldn't get a printer now, just get one which won't dent the budget so much as to prohibit future equipment investment, an investment which might happen in the next 5-10 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12