Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how are Minox scopes?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer condomboy's Avatar

how are Minox scopes?

In the market for some new glass for a new rifle and just saw the clearance specials and haven't heard much about Minox. I've been looking at Vortex as they seem to be good bang for the buck.
    Was looking at three options from you
    Minox 66020 (3-15x42 mino-plex rec)
    Minox 66030 (4-20x50 mino-plex rec with side paralax)
    Minox 66525 (3-15x50 iPLEX rec with side paralax and illuminated)

In comparison I've been looking at the
    Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 $299
    Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 $550
    Vortex Viper 4-12x40 $480
    Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 $340
    Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44 $360
    Bushnell Elite Tactical 5-15x40 $550

I know, you get what you pay for and for my high end rifle I have a NightForce NXS so I know what good glass looks like, this is for a medium range plinker, don't want to break the bank but want to get the best value for money spent. I know there's the three ranges, Under a grand, Around a grand and then two grand and over. I'm trying to keep well within the Under a grand section

Feedback on the Minox would be awesome.

Thanks
    If you know how many guns you have... you don't have enough

I have a ZA5 and like it. Made in Germany, good quality and warranty. Also have a Vortex and also are satisfied with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by condomboy View Post
    In the market for some new glass for a new rifle and just saw the clearance specials and haven't heard much about Minox. I've been looking at Vortex as they seem to be good bang for the buck.
    Was looking at three options from you
    Minox 66020 (3-15x42 mino-plex rec)
    Minox 66030 (4-20x50 mino-plex rec with side paralax)
    Minox 66525 (3-15x50 iPLEX rec with side paralax and illuminated)

In comparison I've been looking at the
    Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 $299
    Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 $550
    Vortex Viper 4-12x40 $480
    Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 $340
    Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44 $360
    Bushnell Elite Tactical 5-15x40 $550

I know, you get what you pay for and for my high end rifle I have a NightForce NXS so I know what good glass looks like, this is for a medium range plinker, don't want to break the bank but want to get the best value for money spent. I know there's the three ranges, Under a grand, Around a grand and then two grand and over. I'm trying to keep well within the Under a grand section

Feedback on the Minox would be awesome.

Thanks
    I recently picked up a za5 2-10x50 plex reticle, which I haven't mounted yet. Schott glass assembled I the USA. It has a long eye relief and clear optics. For the price and depending what you're doing, I think you'll be happy. I have a vortex pst 4-16x50 too which was about 350 buck more. Both aren't in the same category as your nf.

Plain sight solutions has a deal going on right now but like all glass, I'd have a look and see what suits you best unless you're in the sticks and don't have access to "demos"

CGN frequent flyer
    I had a 4-20X50 and a 6-30X54 (or something like that). They were excellent. Lived on my Savage 10BA and 10PC rifles for nearly 1000 rounds with no issues at all. Nice and bright. My only complaint would be eye relief. Its not that its too short, it just seems like its picky about your eye being in EXACTLY the right spot. But, for the money, I don't think you can buy a better quality piece of glass.

Their ZA line was designed in Germany, assembled in America, their ZE line is the ones that are made in Europe

IIRC, Minox is currently owned by Leica, so it should have phenomenal glass.

I haven't tried one of their riflescopes but I have binoculars and a spotting scope from Minox and for the money they use very good glass. I recall a few people on hear reporting mechanical defects with U.S. assembled riflescopes but I also recall they spoke favourably of the response under warranty.
    Today could be the last day of the rest of your life.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Well I must be one of the most unlucky guy then!

I got to know the minox us rep buy name and he knew mine.....

I went true 5 minox, out of them only 3 made it on my rifle.
    glass seemed fine, clear and all that; on a side note the burris e1 3-9x40 is clearer then the minox zai 3-15x50( I think it was zai, well it was the one with the red dot) that it replace.

Customer service was a++ I can't say enough good about Greg, the rep. I started my venture with a minox ZA 1.5-8X32 (now discontinued) anfter 20 some round the eye peace was so loose I could make it rattled by shacking the scope. I got a replacement one from the Canadian rep, out of the box it was already loose. I also returned it got a third one and afer mounting and just fondling it with my hand the eye peice came loose.

So the us rep upgrated me from the 1.5-8x32 to the 2-10x40 I got it and it came loose kn my hands. So out of desperation I beg and got a several hundred dollars upgrade to the zai line or something (the one with the red dot) a 3-15x50, it seem fine, until after 20-30 the dam eye peice came back loose as sh!#.

It was "o I paid 20$ at the pawn shop" loose, not " I paid 130$ at Wal-Mart for a banner , loose"!!!

After all that I return the 3 scope I had home from all the exchange and got a burris e1...

Minox IF they fix there BIG quality issue, they have interesting product, but to me its a big if....

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    I have one on a hunting rifle and I also own a pair of Minox binoculars, excellent in every way
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Minox is a very high-end scope and no comparison to Vortex. It's made by Leica, Germany, the masters of optics. I have the highest model called 62ED. The scope and eye piece would cost you around $2000.00, great investment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast