Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ontario Ranges (GTA east specifically)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer new and novice's Avatar
    You need to put yourself on wait list at all of the clubs mentioned above. You should also know that a lot of these clubs don't take members on a 1st come 1st serve basis. Experience goes a long way.

I would suggest that you look into taking courses in as many shooting sports as you can. IDPA or look at the IPSC Ontario site for a black badge course near you. Check out the ORA website. They are offering a precision rifle course this wknd at Borden this wknd. Join the NFA or CSSA as well. most of those clubs will require that anyways. These tips may help you get a leg up over other new shooters.

Btw, with two post, why is your post count still at zero?
    Last edited by new and novice; 04-02-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    Twitter: @reason911

Super Moderator
    Maximus - you might want to indicate what sort of shooting you want to do. Do you want a casual range on which to shoot occasionally, or are you interested n some specific activity?
    How far are you prepared to drive?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    I think Union is accepting members and they are not too far from you. They're on the 4th concession East of the 115
    It's on the 3rd. The old range off the 4th has been closed for some time. If you are interested in joining there, show up on a Sunday and talk to people. It is most definitely NOT a first come first served type waiting list. Show up the first day and leave anything but a shot gun at home. You will be invited to shoot trap if you are interested. Talk to the guys and see if it suits you. Then ask about joining.

Shoot non restricted/restricted rifle, shotgun and pistol, nothing specific as to the activity as getting in somewhere to begin with is step number one. I am not a hunter, so I would be strictly a ragne guy unless I change my mind sometime.

Not sure why still at zero. Still pretty new, so not sure what courses are offered and where, just want to begin as a casual shooter and go from there...

BANNED
    Your joining a club, not a range and you're living with about 9 million neighbours. Hard to find a club with rifle facilities anywhere near TO. Like Tiriaq says, how far will/can you drive?
    CFB Borden's Rod and Gun Club used to take civilian members. Don't know if they still do. Taking the drive New and Novice mentions about ORA shooting is a good idea. Rifle only and it's not a case of going whenever you feel like it. You may want to look East too.
    Your post count only goes up by posting on the other forums. Don't think it moves on this one. Not important anyway.

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    You could try The Grange at Target Sports or the Aurora Gun Club.....
    Last I checked Grange was not accepting any new members.
    Member: CSSA

What am I thinking........? If I wanted you to know, I'd be talking!

CGN frequent flyer
    Guelph Rod and Gun was taking names for their waiting list when I looked a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SelectShootingSupplies View Post
    Not entirely true, I am not suggesting that you were not told that but it is not 100% correct.

The Rifle section has a membership cap, that much is true. but they review the membership regularly and clear the waiting list as often as possible. Just last month they cleared the waiting list to zero and some people had only been on the list a week. The list usually clears every few months or so but there is no guarantee as to how long or short the wait will be.

If you only want to shoot non-restricted rifles then yes this will be an issue for you. If you shoot restricted's the handgun section is accepting members as are all other sections which you can use while you are on the waiting list for rifle, you just won't be able to shoot your rifle until you clear the list.

Hmmmm. It would have been nice to have been told that when I phoned and spoke to the lady who answered. Maybe she should let people know this? It made my decision to join a different club based on this (which I was added to a wait list). I have no problem with being on a wait list with the end goal of being accepted p, but she made it seem as though the books were closed, no new membership for rifle. I do like the facilities Galt offers as well as the 200 yard rifle range. Oh well...
    Member: NFA, CSSA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast