Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife Protection Products at AmmoSupply.ca

CGN frequent flyer
    That was a Banger - the flares aren't as loud, but they fire off two really cool bright red fireballs...:D

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    That was a Banger - the flares aren't as loud, but they fire off two really cool bright red fireballs...:D
    I realised that afterwards!! You'd hope the flares would be bright There's something wrong with me - I was salivating at the loud bang.

Expired Business Member
    We've had a few questions about our other wildlife accessories, so I thought I'd just provide a few more details here. We have:
    - 1% Capsaicin Bear Spray by Frontiersman - $37.99 for a 225g can. This is the strongest pepper spray legal in Canada. It has a glow-in-the-dark safety wedge so that you can find it in the dark in your tent The manufacturers state: "If an interaction with a bear turns threatening, Bear Pepper Spray has been proven to be the most effective deterrent to an attack when used correctly (that's right, even more effective than a gun)". That sounds like a discussion point to me!!
    - Sabre 0.5% Capsaicin Dog Spray, 50g can for $13.99
    - Sabre 0.5% Dog Spray, 22g on a key chain for $11.99 - we also carry that in pink. They're an ideal size to fit in a lady's purse.

CGN frequent flyer
    I can heartily endorse that bear spray. I use that brand, and I've had to use it, up on the Montreal River, and it worked like a charm. I had my 12 ga., but I really didn't want to have to shoot a young bear who was more curious and hungry than threatening.

Absolutely. What you carry for bear has to be accessible instantly. 1% spray is the go to item. You can carry it on your belt very readily at hand, and it doesn't freak out the urbanites scared of guns and snakes. Kate has the right stuff. Honestly, shotguns are too cumbersome to carry and unlimber if you are busy hiking, photographing, exploring, etc. Ideally, a .45 auto sidearm with +p would be most practical, but this side of the 49, that just isn't going to happen soon. That said, I do carry a 6 shot Rohm starter pistol with flare attachment (a bell you screw onto the barrel that holds 15mm flares). You can use it to launch 15mm flares, bangers, and screamers, and the range is just about right, not too far away before detonation. I used to live in griz country in summers, and with good bush smarts, you shouldn't ever need the stuff, but it's good to have if a bear gets spoiled by some fool, or goes off his nut which does happen on occasion, (or they have a really bad winter and are hungry, all bets are off then).
    Sk8r- how far away do the bangers you were shooting detonate? Most I've tried are too far away before they go bang for a bear encounter. Last thing you want is for it to go bang behind the bear, and drive him TOWARD you. I like those rubber slug baton things that Kate has- they are a discouraging force at any effective range, and pack significant energy.

Expired Business Member
    Thanks to both of you for adding in your experiences! The bear spray is another product I'll be taking out to the woods.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanist View Post
    Sk8r- how far away do the bangers you were shooting detonate? Most I've tried are too far away before they go bang for a bear encounter. Last thing you want is for it to go bang behind the bear, and drive him TOWARD you. , .......

They go off at about 100 feet, on a straight shot. But, I don't use them that way. It takes a bit of practice, but I skip 'em off the ground ahead of the bear, kinda like skipping a rock off water. If you get it right they will detonate maybe 40 - 50 feet out, ahead of the bear, after a couple of bounces. Make sure you practice first though.

this is some cool stuff for a 12G

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    They go off at about 100 feet, on a straight shot. But, I don't use them that way. It takes a bit of practice, but I skip 'em off the ground ahead of the bear, kinda like skipping a rock off water. If you get it right they will detonate maybe 40 - 50 feet out, ahead of the bear, after a couple of bounces. Make sure you practice first though.
    That's pretty good, and good to know, thanks. Years ago, I had some hand launched bangers that detonated at 75-100 yds, waaaay too late, they were loaded same as a flare with too much propellant. Would really suck to find out what a bear does when it detonates on the far side and drives it towards you at warp 9, and I had carried the stupid things for a couple years to boot like a noob.
    Might have to visit Kate again next time in Calgary for those rubber baton loads. Enough can't be said about practice with your bear stuff before an encounter. When a young hungry griz gets boisterous, it's the wrong time to find out you suck. Those baton deals seem like the right kind of thing, load so there are one or two non lethal things out first, then slugs to follow. Gun or no, still carry spray. In dense bush/close range, the spray is far more practical. If nothing else, the wind will be wrong, and you both leave the area with red eyes, but it reinforces that dislike of being around man which is okay. I still see an occasional tourist trying to get selected against by attracting roadside bear with food, which is kind of the root of the problem. Well, that and baiting for hunting but that's a whole other story...

Sorry for necroposting here Kate, yet this seemed the appropriate thread to resurrect ...

Are you able to bring in these pouches for the pen launcher and/or flare kits from TruFlare?

I know you stock the flares, bear bangers and pen launchers separately, so the pouch would be a nice addition for a car / pack kit!

If you use the EE, at the very least please name your home province on your bio page.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast