Thread: Purchasing A Firearm

Purchasing A Firearm

Not sure if this has been asked before or not, but I will be completing my PAL/RPAL course in the next couple of days and was just curious if it's possible to purchase a firearm when I am issued my PAL number, but have no received my plastic card in the mail. I have been reading the thread on shortening PAL wait times and have noticed quite a few people have gotten their number the minute the application has been approved.

Cheers.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer svt1940's Avatar
    If you purchase in person in a store, you will probably need your card since they look at the photo also the expire date. For internet purchase, somes dealers ask a copy of your pal others ask number only but you will need the expire date either way. Maybe somes fellow will came in with more infos.

J
    member CCFR membre

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    You can always buy the firearm right now, and get the retailer to hold it until you have your PAL and can take possession of it.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

I know that Wholesale Sports will NOT release a firearm without the physical copy of your PAL. Not sure what other store policies are, but likely the same.
    "In a free society, we shouldn't need permission to do whatever we want."

Quote Originally Posted by austkwills View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked before or not, but I will be completing my PAL/RPAL course in the next couple of days and was just curious if it's possible to purchase a firearm when I am issued my PAL number, but have no received my plastic card in the mail. I have been reading the thread on shortening PAL wait times and have noticed quite a few people have gotten their number the minute the application has been approved.

Cheers.
    After your course, you will have to mail your test over to the CFO's office, they rubber stamp 2 copies and send them back. Then once you get the test with stamp back, you mail that, your PAL application and photo to the CFO out East. It may take a bit longer yet. Each store has their own policy on sales. You'll have to verify with the vendor. I know what you're going through, it feels like an eternity once you sign up to do the course and send off for your PAL!!

From my understanding you need the card. You require the card to transport your firearm as well. If you did not have it it would be like driving without your drivers license. .. even though you have one if it is not in your possession you are in deep doo doo. Again this is my interpretation and should not be construed as absolute.

CGN frequent flyer
    Start filling out your RPAL form now, get your picture taken and references lined up etc. and send the application in. Then when you get your stamped course results you can fax them in. That will save you easily 4 weeks at least. There is a sticky here in the faq section I think about how to shorten the wait.

Yes, I understand the process in shortening my wait times... Just wondering if it was possible or not to purchase a gun without physically having my card in hand but having the number. Answers were what I figured anyways. Thanks all.

You also need a range membership for restricted firearms, but that's a five minute fix.